Resurrecting the Pearcy 38 state map?

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by HerthaBerwyn, Nov 17, 2011.

1. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I never thought much of Seger or Mellencamp before moving to Chicago, but liking those guys is a goddamned Midwestern purity test. So alright after 25 years and much lobbying I concede. The Heartland all the way baby, these are the guys whom Springsteen wanted to be.

2. Mr. Conspiracy

Mr. Conspiracy Member+

Apr 14, 2011
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey little pink houses for you and me is the way to be!!!

Wait uh you all know that's the song right? Right? ;)

3. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You forgot REO Speedwagon,pal.

4. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What's wrong with the hair bands? Headbangers Ball on MTV was awesome!

5. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm guessing these are Seger lyrics with which I'm not familiar?

6. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Gotta draw the line somewhere.

I once drove to Peoria for a youth soccer thing, I swear they had an all-Mellencamp station somewhere out there. I listened fascinated and horrified for more than an hour, nothing but Johnnie Cougar and no commentary by the DJ that this was a special day or something.

7. Mr. Conspiracy

Mr. Conspiracy Member+

Apr 14, 2011
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nothing's wrong with the hair bands. I love that music as well. I was just saying that by the end of the 80's early 90's that was all that was on, then it was all Grunge, then it turned over to all hip hop. The variety was all sucked down into a black hole. that is of course just my perception.

8. flowergirl

flowergirl Member+

Aug 11, 2004
    panama city, FL
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    florida is drawn wrong. while i agree that the panhandle should just be part of alabama, they should take a line right across the state just north of tampa. north of that should go to south georgia, south should be it's own state. which could maybe even just be added onto hudson.

9. flowergirl

flowergirl Member+

Aug 11, 2004
    panama city, FL
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    oh, and i hate springsteen and mellencamp. love joel, hall & oates and REO speedwagon.
    can't tell you how much mellencamp makes me want to hurl.

10. tomwilhelm

tomwilhelm Member+

Dec 14, 2005
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fe7yOccqdxI"]Bob Seger - Turn the Page - YouTube[/ame]

I hate Mellencamp, but Seger... I dunno. You hear it in the womb and throughout your childhood, it's digs in pretty deep.

11. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I love his early stuff. Even "Night Moves" was a decent mainstream-rock album, but it had the seeds of everything that made much of his subsequent work suck so very, very much. But I admit, I'm very much the Midwesterner and therefore pretty biased.

And I'll say it--I still love "Hollywood Nights."

12. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Discussed somewhat...

I can't remember why I didn't add the part about putting North Biscayne in with Carolina (and South Georgia- saves Piedmont), but that's what I had planned to propose.

13. Mr. Conspiracy

Mr. Conspiracy Member+

Apr 14, 2011
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://mystateline.com/fulltext/?nxd_id=301057

14. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When I consider the vomitousness of the Seger library, that song is always one of the first ones that comes to mind.

I get the impression from some of the Chicagoans that I know they they'd be happy to get cut loose from downstate Illinois.

15. Kobranzilla

Kobranzilla Member

Sep 6, 2001
    NY F'in City
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As a native Detroiter, I enjoy me some Seger...in fact, visiting my sisters in DC for Thanksgiving and we are going to head up to Baltimore Friday night to see him play!

I dont kid myself that it is the pinnacle of musical achievement...but I enjoy it and know all the songs by heart

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6v2Fnvzf-r4&feature=related"]Bob Seger - Mainstreet (1976) - YouTube[/ame]

16. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Cook County is 40% of the state's population and about 52% of its income. That leaves the rest of the state at 60% of the current population with less than half the total income. I don't think this guy wants his wish to become true.

17. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Now that's one Seger tune I actually don't like all that much. That and Like A Rock.

Nor do I, but it's part of a life soundtrack.

Really started to like this tune when I had to cover it in a band. Not a busy bass part, but a fun tune to play.

I'm a quirky sort where music is concerned. There's a similarity about some of these artists that ties them together. Maybe it's individual songs rather than out and out writing style. For example, I'd put Thunder Island by Jay Ferguson (at work, can't link Youtube) in that category, but don't know of anything else by him.

18. tomwilhelm

tomwilhelm Member+

Dec 14, 2005
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why not? They'd get a lot more congressmen per capita and as a result, like all the other backwater rural states, would get to suck that much harder on the federal government teet. All while complaining about how big gov'mint takes their hard earned money away.

19. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rockpile
    awesome live: http://www.moyssi.com/780505.htm
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Jackson_(musician)
    Also great live, in his original Angry Young Man phase:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=el66jnuItYc"]Joe Jackson - I'm The Man - YouTube[/ame]
    Springsteen would kill himself if he was Mellancamp.

20. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    I can take some Bob Seger tunes. It's Queen that always made me retch.

21. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For me, it's Pink Floyd and Rush.

I wish their planes would have crashed into each other decades ago.

22. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    Pink Floyd

Never saw Rush live, but Pink Floyd put on a great show!
    The plane crashing into the stage was quite the spectacle
    I might have seen it at this show:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0j4iS6k0Fk"]Pink Floyd - Roosevelt Stadium , Jersey City , 1973 (Full) - YouTube[/ame]

23. Alan S

Alan S Member

Jun 1, 2001
    Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    +1 for Joe Jackson.

Don't like Rush or Pink Floyd? I knew their was a reason I didn't like you. :)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mzqo2tUFcJY&feature=related"]Joe Jackson - Blaze Of Glory - YouTube[/ame]

24. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Pink Floyd, Rush, Styx, Kansas, ELO, Yes. Those were my brother's puke bands, he scoffed at my Beatles and Stones for being primitives who could barely play their instruments. He listened to "mature" rock.

25. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Not really schooled in Yes, but the rest of that group are first rate rockers. I'd love to have heard Styx and Rush as pure instrumental bands, but the market dictates otherwise.

Your bro was right about the Stones, wrong about the Beatles. Their composing skills and the end result of their studio time made up for a lot. Their Please Please Me/Love Me Do/I Wanna Hold Your Hand stage was lame, but they grew out of it. The Stones never got past the glorified bar band stage musically (aside from Angie, Paint It Black, Mother's Little Helper and Ruby Tuesday), but they made big bank. Can't hate on them if so many people are willing to listen.

He was partially wrong about Floyd, too. Gilmour played a lot of the bass parts on the Floyd albums, I'm told by lots (LOTS) of people who don't know each other. You've heard enough Floyd, I'm sure, to know how simple those parts are.