Resurrecting the Pearcy 38 state map?

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by HerthaBerwyn, Nov 17, 2011.

1. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mmmm... fresh stinkbait.

2. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I will tell my Rep to get the ball rolling on this.

3. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Not trolling. It's the truth.

4. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You could've gotten away with stating that Springsteen was a little overrated.

Putting him behind Seger and Mellencamp made the bait a little too obvious.

5. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Jackson Browne? Ouch.

6. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In what alternate universe is Billy Joel a "great songwriter"?

7. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A town known as Oyster Bay, Long Island....

8. That Phat Hat

That Phat Hat Member+

Nov 14, 2002
    Just Barely Outside the Beltway
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    For the folks in Oyster Bay, I think he's more "bad driver" than anything else.

9. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I was ripping on Billy Joel once, when a friend of mine made an interesting point. He wasn't a big fan of Billy Joel, and the thought of Billy Joel "rocking" a sold-out Arena disturbed him as much as it did me, but he pointed out that this wasn't Billy Joel's fault. He continued to say that, if he was travelling and wound up at a hotel where "alternate universe" Billy Joel was playing the piano in the bar, he'd consider it a great, lucky night. He'd have a few beers and listen for a couple three hours. Then the third time "A.U.B.J." played "Piano Man," he'd drop a fiver in the tip jar and head upstairs.

10. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He only pulls that shit out east.

11. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I was at a time and place where a lot of college kids liked Billy Joel. No doubt they are feeling sheepish now.

I wonder who the 2011 equivalent of Billy Joel might be? By which I mean a cheeseball who has an audience on the college circuit, and who will seem impossibly uncool and embarrassing to the next generation.

12. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know the film version is John Hughes

I remember there being as many people under 35 as there were over when he played at Shea Stadium. The next generation hasn't shunned Billy Joel here in Hudson.

13. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I might be wrong about Billy. I just talked to my non-Hudson college son and he knows and likes Billy Joel. Who knew? But now that I think of it, the more ambitious (e.g., pretentious) bands of that era have probably fared worse with history ... Styx and ELO and Kansas and the like.

14. That Phat Hat

That Phat Hat Member+

Nov 14, 2002
    Just Barely Outside the Beltway
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    I think there's a collegiate/hipster thing where the alt thing is appreciating 80's pop that's been discarded as cheese, and not in an ironic way. Hall & Oates falls in this are too, though I can't tell how sincerely young folks like Lionel Richie.

15. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Ah that makes sense, mine is not yet hipster being that he's 18, but he's proto-hipster. In particular in that he has noticed that the two groups of guys who get action are the bro athletes (sigh, that never changes) and the hipster grad students.

I guess the logical extension of that type of hipster approach is to prefer Madonna to Lady Gaga. Oh, and I heard that this year the sale of vinyl records increased even as CD sales declined.

16. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You can't scratch on a CD on a turntable.

17. Cool Rob

Cool Rob Member

Sep 26, 2002
    Chicago USA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah Dearborn would be sweet. I've been spending some time on the Michigan side, and some of those beaches are awesome. (seriously http://travel.yahoo.com/p-interests-40253438) We need that. Plus by controlling the entire southern section of the Lake Michigan, we could just build our pipeline and sell water to the SW, Texas, and Cali to get $paid$.

lol! This would redine the entire concept of FIBs. We'd already have Lake Geneva (FIB HQ) and who has the time to drive all the way past Wisconsin Dells just to be a tool?

18. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Mainstreet, Night Moves, Shame On The Moon, Turn The Page, Still The Same and Against The Wind alone destroy The Bruce's whole discography.

Ditto for Paper In Fire, Jack & Diane, Little Pink Houses and Check It Out.

Thritto for Running On Empty, Doctor My Eyes (are you kidding me???) and Somebody's Baby.

This one.

They have no reason to be sheepish. Music was so much better then.

What were they pretending to be?

There's nothing wrong with actually learning to play the instrument you get photographed with for the album cover. Nothing wrong with music that requires you to put that learning to use.

No, really... what were they pretending to be????? When on Earth did we start not just accepting, but promoting this least common denominator untrained hacks who somehow make a few great tunes in spite of themselves music?

19. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    FIBs ... I had to look it up. I like it.

I found this as part of the definition -

Which of course is a perfect example why Chicago needs to get rid of the rest of Illinois via the Dearborn plan. Our country cousins are not only addicted to transfer payments, they are ungrateful at that. Fine. Become Osage. Then you can whine about how awful St. Louis is.

20. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I grew up in Downstate Illinois, and I never understood why a handful of my neighbors and relatives thought Chicago was a giant parasite on the state.

Well, I know part of it: racism. After I moved away from Chicago in 2000, a couple of my relatives were amazed that I'd lived there for 8 or 9 years and didn't take a single bullet or get mugged (though to be fair to my hick relatives, their main access to information about Chicago would've been the WGN News at Nine, which would create the illusion that the city is pretty damn dangerous).

21. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    But only part. My Western Washington relatives feel the same way about Seattle and Seattle is pretty white, that's definitely not it.

22. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Country mouse always hates city mouse.

F-ers can't grow their own food,and won't pay you enough to make a profit.

23. HouseHead78

HouseHead78 Member+

Oct 17, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hall and Oates are re-popular and not just with hipsters. It's because when you didn't grow up ashamed of it, you can like it for its quality. Hall and Oates are really talented and I jam that shit without shame. The lyrics can be twee, but that just adds to the fun...

That lush, harmonious sound is legit - as are the jacky beats of early to mid 90s pop, which are about to re popularize themselves. Just search on iTunes for Elle Varner and tell me that I'm wrong :)

24. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Welcome back Boys II Men!

25. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Stop bringing all that skunk to the farmers market and maybe we can do some business.