Restructuring The National Team- Position by Position

Discussion in 'Mexico National Team' started by Otaku, Oct 16, 2013.

1. Otaku

Otaku Member+

Dec 9, 2003
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I don't think anyone can argue this team needs a serious overhaul. One of the things that amazes me is we have done some swaps and they haven't really worked out. At CB Maza, Reyes, Ayala, many don't want Rafa because of his age and lack of speed. At LB T.Nilo, Salcido, none of our DM really look great, though Zavala looked ok in the Panama game. At LM Reyna, Guardado, Chaco, etc. have all looked bad. So who is left? Who do we put in at LB? Guardado? Or do we get to a point where we just say it is what it is and pick the least bad option? Who are our locks and build this team around?

Overachiever repped this.
  2. Juturna67

Juturna67 Member+

Chelsea
    Mexico
    Aug 14, 2011
    Whittier, CA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    My line up

---------------Ochoa------------------
    Layun---Reyes---Moreno---Guardado
    ------------Chaton--Jona-------------
    ----------Gio--Fabian--Vela----------
    ----------------Peralta-----------------

bench: Chicharo, Jimenez. Nilo, Mier, Peña, Herrera, etc etc

CHIDOWEY and Award Tour repped this.
  3. Hecho en Chivas

Hecho en Chivas Member+

Apr 22, 2004
    Chulajuana
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    our defense looked like complete SHIT today. sad to say, but Rafa was actually our most decent defender in the backline today despite his screw up on that 1st Costa Rican goal

Torres Nilo really disappointed me. i really thought the dude would do well and make that LB spot his own, but he looked slow and was almost always losing his man.

Layun looked pretty pathetic as well

Gullit actually looked like the Gullit from Leon. i thought he was one of our most standout players on the field today and set up from great passes.

Chicharo needs to GTFO out of ManU and go to a club that will give him ample playing time, because his lack of playing time has really taken a toll on him. Jimenez was no better. i thought he actually made our offense regress rather than progress once he came in. Peralta should keep on being our starter.

and where the hell was Gio?! seriously, where was the Gio we all know what he's capable of?

Vuce needs to hit the restart button and start fresh

so much talent but our guys lack the balls and desire to play as a unit

turibird repped this.
  4. and1football

and1football Member+

Nov 10, 2009
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    What is Guti Estrada up to these days? I never understood why he hasn't played at least a minimal role with the NT. Is it because he's short? Who knows.

LGRod and Dr. Deplorable repped this.
  5. Award Tour

Award Tour Member+

Nov 23, 2010
    Brooklyn, New York
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    We have zero competent fullbacks, I'm almost ready to suggest three at that back.

We NEED Vela even though we won't get him. Without him we have a black hole. Gio and Vela bombing down the wings would challenge even world class teams.

We also need creativity and speed in the mid. But again, we won't get Jona because everyone is too busy hating on the dude despite never looking bad in his few appearances.

Saul Acosta and Dr. Deplorable repped this.
  6. la fresa

la fresa Member+

Oct 31, 2005
    texas
    Club:
    Serbian White Eagles
    i think we should just make Vasco sign a stipulation in his club contracts that allows him to coach every hex, but also maintain him a continent away from the team at the world cup

elvasco and Trillz repped this.
  7. Otaku

Otaku Member+

Dec 9, 2003
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

Great example of why I made this thread. We had Osorio at RB and he had that position on lock, even thought he messed up at the WC. Then came Efrain Juarez, and he went to Europe and dropped his level. The came Meza who we thought was going to do well, then Jerry Flores, then Mier, then Layun. Its not like we haven't tried different players. So who is left? Is there seriously no one who can play RB in all of Mexico?

Same thing with DM. Chaton is always injured, Torrado can't pass, Zavala is average.

8. jcwkings

jcwkings Member+

Feb 26, 2010
    Club:
    Club América
    What i don't get is the people that want Chicharo gone because he gets no minutes, yet they are clamoring for Jona who has played 90 minutes in 4 years.

Manolo Rodriguez repped this.
  9. jcwkings

jcwkings Member+

Feb 26, 2010
    Club:
    Club América
    "America Reforzada" you have to take a band aid approach to the repechaje, not enough time to work. Have Piojo come in as advisor.

------------------------Corona----------------------------
    ------Rafa------------Maza/Reyes--------Moreno-----
    --Aguilar-----------------------------------Layun-----
    ----------------------Medina-------------------------
    ---------?----------------------------Gullit----------
    -------------------Oribe--------Jimenez-------------

10. Award Tour

Award Tour Member+

Nov 23, 2010
    Brooklyn, New York
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I don't think Chicharo works in this team. Guy can be borderline world class in the right one which I think Mexico can potentially field but wont. Even then, dude is visibly off form right now. Jona has played plenty in the last four years, just not in the last 16 months. When he did play in the last 16 months he looked better than average.

11. Talisman

Talisman Member+

Aug 5, 2011
    Stamford, CT
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    That LB Abella from Santos has been playing good call him up

LGRod repped this.
  12. Rojinegro1

Rojinegro1 Member+

Jun 26, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I'd like to try a 4-3-3, seems like it would be a less rigid use of our talent. Perhaps something like:

--------------------Memo------------------
    --Layun--Reyes--Moreno--Guardado--
    -----Chaton-------Jona------Fabian-----
    ----Gio----------Cheech-----------Vela--

Bench would be who you'd expect, try Herrera and Peña in the midfield, Jimenez at striker, etc. Jona and Fabian could be the creative forces, Jona lying deeper, and of course Gio and Vela would wreak havoc on the wings; I think this would suit Cheech better as well as he'd have more freedom to move instead of always looking for a cross. Cheech is a poacher but a skilled and varied one, that is, he can score goals of all kinds, he just needs the service. Guardado's workrate would be very useful at LB and he wouldn't be required to attack which he has not been doing well lately. Reyes and Moreno is a solid CB pairing. Only position that is somewhat weak for us is fullback but otherwise this team/formation would be very strong I think.

This of course would be implemented after we qualify to try out at the WC. ******** this talk of not enough time to implement before 2014, we already look terrible with what we've been doing, what do we have to lose trying something new?

DaTruth and LGRod repped this.
  13. Otaku

Otaku Member+

Dec 9, 2003
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

Only thing I would add to this is that when he has played its been 10 or 5 minutes and often when the game is decided, the other minutes were preseason. I want to see him in a challenging environment playing champions or a KO cup game, or coming off the bench in the 60th to change the tactics, because the coach knows he brings something to the table.

Not a knock on Jona, I want to see him play with Mex but we need to see more of him both at the club and national level. Its been so long since he has suited up for us and players change and adapt.

14. jcwkings

jcwkings Member+

Feb 26, 2010
    Club:
    Club América
    You can't drop Oribe, it amazes me how much the Euro elitist on here just brush Peralta to the side, when he is clearly Mexico's best player(not for club, for country). He the only one que no le pesa la camiseta along with Rafa, and suprisingly Gullit in the last 2 games.

LGRod repped this.
  15. Mexcellence

Mexcellence Member+

Oct 12, 2007
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Sports psychologists
    Euro players need to go where they can get PT
    No argies with stamina issues please
    Call the best and most talented players we have
    Have JMM trainer who made Bolt faster put these guys on a regimen ASAP.
    Build chemistry

Vela aint coming guys stop already.

Trillz repped this.
  16. nicamex1935

nicamex1935 Member+

Jul 10, 2007
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    The problems with our fullbacks are their liabilities defensively.

They actually do a decent job pushing up.

Gullit made the midfield better, but he can't do it all himself.

The one constant through all the shuffling has been a 4 man backline.

We need a new system of play that allows our fullbacks the freedom to push upward without costing the team.

That system is a 3-5-2/5-3-2.

Here are a few realistic set ups within this scheme:

1)
    -------------------Ochoa-------------------
    Layun---Rafa-Moreno-Ayala---Nilo----
    ------------------Gullit---------------------
    --------Lobos-------------------Fabian---
    --------------Gio--------Peralta-----------

2)
    ------------------Ochoa---------------------
    ---Aguilar-Rafa-Moreno-Ayala--Layun
    -----------------Medina--------------------
    -------Fabian---------------Guardado----
    --------------Gio---------Peralta-----------

3)
    -------------------Ochoa-------------------
    Aquino---Rafa-Moreno-Mier----Layun
    -------------------Gullit--------------------
    ---------Lobos--------------Guardado----
    ----------------Gio-----Peralta------------

17. nicamex1935

nicamex1935 Member+

Jul 10, 2007
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Believe me when I say as an Americanista, that what changed the team wasn't who was playing but how they were plugged in. They were terrible before Piojo installed a suitable system of play.

America saw results almost immediately, jumping from the last positions in the table to consecutive semifinal appearances until they finally won it all.

Players like Negro Medina, Aguilar, Layun, Jimenez, Aquivaldo, have all seen a surge in their level of play under this system.

Obviously a club is more easily able to work together and implement a different way of doing things, but Mexico has to try something different on the tactical end, because we've run out of players to keep changing.

18. TGO

TGO Member+

Jul 4, 2011
    The width play of this team is terrible.

Might as well concentrate on a formation that emphasize midfield-play.

In reality, Gio should be dat creative player in the 'hole'. Let him play a free role. I think part of the reason why Gio looked awful with the NT but looked awesome with Villareal is that his role is a dynamic one with his club. He can provide that 'link up' for his strikers AND revert as striker if needed. With the NT, dude looks handcuffed and received very little help.

Saul Acosta repped this.
  19. Dr. Deplorable

Dr. Deplorable Member+

Mar 31, 2007
    Kansas
    Guti Estrada and Chato Rodriguez to save this team:cool:

20. Socrates_81

Socrates_81 Red Card

May 27, 2008
    Blank
    The players aren't the entire problem here. No restructuring, simply needs a coach that knows how to make them mesh. I'm hoping, thinking actually that Vuce is that man.

21. jcwkings

jcwkings Member+

Feb 26, 2010
    Club:
    Club América
    No way, Gio is not at 10, his passing is pretty bad, especially for a guy that wears the #10. Most importantly he only operates at one speed, going 100 miles an hour, he is an attacker through and through, he looks his best when he is driving at defenders either as a CF or winger. He will never do the things guys like Temoc did. I'm not bashing him, but he is what he is, and trying to use him as a creative midfielder is not what he is.

iveman27 repped this.
  22. Baysic

Baysic Member+

Jun 11, 2009
    The Bay Area, CA
    Club:
    Club América
    Seriously, i hate to again beat the dead horse, but Vela needs to come and today made it clear why he simply is not the type of player we can allow to not come. Every person has something you can say to them to sell them on something. Vucetich....not inarritu, not the FMF.....VUCETICH seriously needs to call that guy and appeal to him through our horrible situation we find ourselves in and iron out whatever the problem is.

23. jcwkings

jcwkings Member+

Feb 26, 2010
    Club:
    Club América
    He doesn't want to come, he personally called Innaritu and told him he doesn't want to come, do you think the FMF should kidnap him put a gun to his head and force him to play?

Trillz, Manolo Rodriguez and nicamex1935 repped this.
  24. King Uribe

King Uribe Member

Oct 15, 2007
    Long Beach, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    Zimbabwe
    ----------------Ochoa--------------------
    ------Mier----Moreno---Reyes-----------
    Guti---------Chaton----------Guardado
    ---------Gio---------JDS--------------------
    ---------------Vela---------------------------
    -------------------Peralta-----------------

We'll suck at corners though.

25. TGO

TGO Member+

Jul 4, 2011
    That is not what I've seen from Gio at Villareal. His passing is bad? Get out of here with that. Dude has been dishing out delicious passes with Villreal this year and Mallorca last season. Putting Gio in a winger role is just handicapping his true potential. CF would be alright if that means he gets ample time with the ball. RF would be another good position for him too.

Who is comparing him with Temoc? All I said that he would look much better if he has several options on attack. Gio as a creative forward in the hole, I think that would be good.

Saul Acosta repped this.