Rest of the World Football v9.1 [R]

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by vividox, Aug 30, 2009.

1. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    check out pink floyd's "fearless" from the album meddle. first of all, it's a fabulous song. it also features liverpool's kop singing ynwa to close out the song (also very briefly in the background at the beginning). it's worth noting that roger waters, who chose to include that recording in the song, is an arsenal supporter.

kopiteinkc and Kot Matroskin repped this.
  2. TBR

TBR Member

Mar 15, 2007
    DMV
    Club:
    CD Aguila
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador

3. KopRules

KopRules Member+

May 31, 2011
    Beautiful South KC
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
  4. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Inconvenient for UEFA. Horrendous for CONCACAF--what league around here doesn't have playoff battles raging all November?

5. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Qatar 2022 continues to be the dumb.

6. KopRules

KopRules Member+

May 31, 2011
    Beautiful South KC
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Disagree.

Last year MLS Cup was decided December 1. Fwiw, half MLS teams are done over a month in advance of the MLS Cup itself. This all represents a minor calendar shuffle for the MLS when compared to the meteor hitting the uefa Leagues schedules, not to mention Europa Cup group play, Champions League group play, and League Cups too (I think). Then, when you think of the money involved in those tournaments when compared to MLS, and wage bills that need paying, its huge.

That said, I wonder if the real issue isn't when the final round of qualifying occurs, and whether the usual slate of WC lead-up friendlies would still be scheduled? That could cause more problems for MLS than a proposed November WC start itself.

7. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it causes a big problem for MLS unless they pile on more midweek games to make sure the season is finished before then.

On top of that, if MLS Cup was during the World Cup, it'd be bad from the perspective of the game being overshadowed.

But you're right the Europe leagues will get hit hard.

8. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Again, though, it's not just MLS. Everyone with an apertura and clasura will likely be in the same boat.

9. SombraAla

SombraAla Member+

Apr 2, 2006
    Waldo (Kansas City)
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, they'd not have to try and break for the WC itself, right? So that opens up that time in the summer at least.

Still a problem though

10. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not a ton, I mean we didn't take a break this year and we're finishing on December 1.

11. KopRules

KopRules Member+

May 31, 2011
    Beautiful South KC
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Yep. In 2012, some 83% of MLS regular season games were scheduled on either weekends, or holidays. That number feels substantial (for good reason - I admit), but it'd have to come down a bit.

MLS Cup before November 1 can be managed by rigging the League schedule accordingly: Start season earlier, and those with indoor venue options planning accordingly; sprinkle in more midweek matches (i.e. lower the 83% to 73%), also for the love (!) DONT have 13-14 days between conf. finals and MLS Cup as we did in 2012. Heck, even if northern MLS fans complain about weather, Garber will have the built in excuse, "FIFA made me do it." Its a big boo hoo for MLS (which RSL fans will surely contend they are the most aggrieved club under FIFA), but for uefa its something far more substantial.

I just don't have much to add to discussion on apertura/clausura scheduling + weather in the southern hemisphere. Seems to me that Conmebol NTs are forced to play more meaningful WCQs than all other FIFA systems, which could cause havoc.

My heart goes out to the suits of the AFA and UAF, the top hats in Brazil, and all others in conmebol and certainly small concacaf Leagues - assuming theyre not all on strike or locked out anyways.

Everyone is affected, I just think UEFA is really slammed. The gist of my original post is that for anyone who has ever complained [for good reason] that WC Calendar as a EUFA preferred calendar, this is an interesting turn of events.

But again, for MLS I still think the biggest issue might be finding out exactly when the WCQs for that cycle are timed. Tough for MLS to compact its schedule, with all those WCQs occurring.

All here can agree/disagree, but there's no denying ^vividox^ is on the money.

12. Jough

Jough Member+

Jul 30, 2007
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. kcfooty

kcfooty Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I'm sorry, can't watch the video at work, but does that link title make anyone else think of Ricky Oh?

15. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Dang, ESPN3 seems to have, at least temporarily, halted its coverage of Liga MX and Eredivisie. Nothing this weekend, nothing upcoming... I am very unhappy about this. Here seems like a reasonable place to vent.

16. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    this was a week ago, but coventry city were docked 10 points for their troubles. it's so bad, they may be liquidated here soon. they're also playing their home games outside of coventry in northampton's ground. what a shame.

17. Lebowski

Lebowski BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 23, 2011
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Tomorrow begins the coverage of EPL by NBC. I have Time Warner, so I won't have all the games available to me. Not a huge deal, since there are still plenty of games being carried live. And, I already watch way too much soccer as it is. It isn't enough for me to switch to SureWest or satellite.

18. KopRules

KopRules Member+

May 31, 2011
    Beautiful South KC
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Do you have a tv or just use internet? I had thought that TWC was one of the networks that has NBC's Premier League Extra Time i.e. the ad hoc channels which will show the "other" EPL games.

http://worldsoccertalk.com/2013/08/...xtra-time-but-no-go-on-nbc-sports-live-extra/

19. Lebowski

Lebowski BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 23, 2011
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I just tried the "gamefinder" http://www.nbcsports.com/extratime and I didn't see anything beyond 6 matches today and tomorrow. Maybe NBC hasn't started using the overflow channels for the other games.

6 EPL/PL/BPL (I never know what to call it) a weekend is plenty. If I really want more non-MLS, there's the the Spanish games on beIN.

20. KopRules

KopRules Member+

May 31, 2011
    Beautiful South KC
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    darnbarn, youre right. I guess that website was bogus. I cant go believing everything I read on the interwebs.

21. KopRules

KopRules Member+

May 31, 2011
    Beautiful South KC
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Im wondering if my old setup with Fox Soccer and Fox Soccer Plus would be bring Altidore's debut right now... hmmmmm.

22. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. BenDover

BenDover BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 4, 2010
    Rio Verde, AZ
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it is a great idea to get major college championships into the KC area and especially Sporting Park. The one thing I disagree with is putting an American football game on the Sporting Park turf. If you think a bunch of soccer guys can tear up the field, I can just imagine a bunch of 250 to 300 pound guys digging in on that pitch... yuck.

24. YilmazOrhan

YilmazOrhan Well Brian, I hit it first time...

Jun 18, 2006
    Suburbia, Kansas
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The D2 Football final takes place in mid-December.

Recent evidence notwithstanding, I'd like to think our ground crew could have the field ready to go again by March.