Republican/conservative economic theory proven wrong

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by superdave, Sep 17, 2012.

1. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Economists aren't so good at predicting the immediate future. They excel however at analyzing the past and suggesting a reasonable action to combat certain negative economic forces. If it drops next quarter, you might have an argument. Until then, this is only a minor blip.

By my calculation, approximately $400 billion was used to create (or maintain) jobs. The rest was tax cuts, unemployment benefits, education grants, and state medicaid assistance. With $2.5 million jobs created, that's $160,000 per job. The relevant number would be [cost/(job*years)]. If the average stimulus job lasted 2 years, it would be $80,000 per job per year.

2. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Ah yes, the economy sucks but it could be a lot suckier.How can you argue with that brilliant line of debate. Thanks RatDog.

Fact is we aren't recovering. We may even be regressing.

3. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

No offense, but your post is no better than VFish's. It's full of rhetoric and stuff that's been said over and over. If you want to make a positive impact, use data and sound logic. Name calling only increases the ideological gap between the left and the right.

stanger and Matt in the Hat repped this.
  4. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Why would you not include education grants into the equation? I am told that was money used to save teacher jobs?

5. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's what 9/10 economists believe. Unless you think you know better...

6. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    I just think it is a poor arguement for declaring your economic policies were a huge success.

7. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, those are grants for re-education (going back to school, learning a skill). The money to maintain teachers' jobs was in a category separate from the "grants" in all the pie charts I've looked at.

8. ratdog

ratdog Member+

Mar 22, 2004
    In the doghouse
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mine is factually accurate. Snarky, but factually accurate.

9. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    So do you want to guesstimate the cost of each job created or not?
    Bullshit, but that's fine. Throw out this expense too. So what is the guesstimate on the cost per job?

10. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Honestly, any math we do will probably be flawed. I'll point you in the direction of a un-biased article about the whole situation though.

Media Matters does specialize in correcting conservative media, however I generally found that their information is accurate and dependable.

Also, Krugman is definitely a self-described liberal, but his theories are solid. He doesn't trot the democratic party line either. He lets the evidence available dictate his position.

11. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    I understand you don't want to commit, but even the White House put a number on it $278,000 per job. So certainly you can conjour up a number closer to the truth.

12. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    [​IMG]

13. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    [​IMG]

14. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That, in itself, isn't terrible. If those jobs lasted a couple years, that's $278,000/# of years. That could be $139,000 to 92,000 per person per year. When you consider health care costs and other benefits, that's not bad. Its not perfect, but if most economists believe that it prevented a depression...I'll take it

15. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

As much as anything, that tells you what is wrong with the economy. Profits are being kept liquid. Companies don't want to spend money to make money, because they're not sold the 2nd half of that equation will work.

16. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have had the discussion of economic uncertainty when it comes to corporate spending and was chided as not knowing what I was talking about. Why would corporations be sitting on piles of cash? Why aren't they sold on the second half of the equation?

17. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Yup. That cash could be spent on expansion or on raising employees' salaries. Either action would spur growth. Holding Treasury bills does not.

Or to put another way, while Wall Street analysts and the right tend to view labor costs as an unmitigated bad, and it's an unmitigated good if companies feel that they have the power to squeeze labor and not give raises, things aren't quite that simple. Labor that gets paid better buys more things, which boosts demand for the products and services for those same companies that are saving $$ by cutting back on labor costs.

dapip and fatbastard repped this.
  18. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, stanger, I'm just a left wing pinko commie, so you may dismiss it ;)

but I think the problem is a lack of demand. Personal income is doing a'ight...nothing special, and actually poor considering we're coming out of the worst economy since the Great Depression. But the killer is state'n'local austerity. They're sucking a huge amount of money out of the economy.

That's my 4 sentence response.

19. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Spot on again. Total government spending is down at a time when the economy could use a boost.

fatbastard repped this.
  20. MattR

MattR Member+

Jun 14, 2003
    Reston
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So we should be blaming those damned job creators, who aren't creating a damn thing. Maybe we should lower their tax rates. Yeah, that's it.

dapip repped this.
  21. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    The GOP got what it wanted. It wanted austerity, government spending is on the decline. It wanted lower taxes, with the exception of those making $400k or better the Bush tax cuts were made permanent. It didn't want stimulus, there hasn't been stimulus spending in 3 years.

And then after getting what it wants, the GOP complains that this is bad policy.

22. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To be fair the Democrats also wanted lower taxes (arguably they were put in a position where the political calculation made them want lower taxes) for all but a few on top.

The tax difference in the tax revenue “lost” buy not allowing the full tax cuts to expire and just the amount that was raised on the 400K+ is a lot, over 200 Billion per year if I remember correctly.

23. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    That is true, but it doesn't change the analysis that the GOP got what it wanted. In effect, Obama has followed W's economic plan, with the exception of the 2009 stimulus, plus Obama has had a more regulatory-friendly climate.

24. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    But that's what they wanted it for.

Duh.

25. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    And what solutions will they come up with?

More austerity!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That and tax cuts for the job creators.