Republican/conservative economic theory proven wrong

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by superdave, Sep 17, 2012.

1. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I'm trying to figure out who invented the term job creators. It feels like Frank Luntz, but I don't think it is, although Frank wholeheartedly approves and is popularizing.

It's terrific marketing, this notion that some slob sitting around clipping bond coupons and sipping martinis is creating jobs and therefore should pay less in taxes. I mean, it's so self-evidently wrong, and so against almost everybody's self interest, and yet a large minority of the country has bought into the notion. Now that's genius marketing.

Chris M. and Boloni86 repped this.
  2. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    We stay young at heart through impure thoughts.

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  3. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    https://www.commondreams.org/view/2011/09/28-13

And in the same article:

Note: Article was writte in September 2011.

4. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    The term job creators has been around well before Frank's most recent book. And Frank usually gets credit for his inventions, for example death taxes. So I think Frank is popularizing this one, not the inventor.

5. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    I would have no problem with the term "job creators" if it was applied to people actually creating jobs. Having wealth does not qualify anyone as a job creator. For example a real estate investor is not a job creator. Or a stock market investor. Or a wealthy heiress. Or an NFL player.

At least not directly. I'm sure you can follow their money and can conclude that somewhere down the line their money contributes to someone's paycheck. But I don't like people getting tax cuts because maybe they hire a gardener and a nanny and thus "created jobs". Those are not sustainable jobs.

I'm with Santorum on this one. He was the champion of the 0% tax rate to any manufacturer that move their factory back from China. Obviously I wouldn't go that far, but a CEO that is willing to do that should get a tax break. Those are real job creators. Of course I would have strings attached to consider getting close to the 0% tax rate. Treat your workers well, give them an honest wage with benefits and don't pollute.

6. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Oh, they might be sustainable. Krugman says there's nothing inconsistent with the notion of full employment in a county of haves and have nots. The job creators can have all the money and be taxed at low rates, then they can hire an army of servants with their riches to bathe their children and clean their floors and mow their lawns and feed their horses. They're not good jobs, and they don't pay much, but everybody works.

7. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is that what rich people do?

I was expecting something more exciting.

When do they do their evil stuff?

8. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Mostly. Except Dr. Buss and Hef and the guy who hosted Mitt's 47% dinner, and a few others like him -- the sex party guys. They're fun. Otherwise, though, rich people make for a dull story.

9. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Meanwhile back in the real word the economy actually shrunk last quarter.

10. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know about that. The rich people I know have the best toys.

11. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
  12. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Yes, I 've already read the reviews. Be honest, it is a shit sandwich. And the fact that the Fed is still pumping dollars into this recovery at this late stage does not instill much confidence going forward.

13. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    No. It is not. It is a modest recovery held back by the GOP obstructionism. The only reason it tastes like sh!t is because McConell and Boehner get to spread the shit on the bread every other week.

fatbastard repped this.
  14. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    You’re right. The Obama economic miracle is going so well that he was able to dissolve his jobs council. Of course his jobs council never actually met so that wasn’t really a big loss. Do you really think this is what an economic recovery is supposed to look like? And it isn’t like Obama has pulled the economic levers, it is just he and his advisors are clueless when it comes to the economy.

15. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    You really want to have this discussion again? Somebody please tell this man what the GOP's contribution to the economy has been during the last four years..

16. ratdog

ratdog Member+

Mar 22, 2004
    In the doghouse
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The economy could grow at 57% and as long as a Dem is in the White House you'd call it a "shit sandwich".

Luckily for the rest of us, you're not in a position of economic power because economists see the big picture through nonpartisan lenses:

http://www.businessweek.com/article...eport-u-dot-s-dot-economy-is-primed-to-expand

Oh, and when the article says "Remember, the biggest immediate threat to the U.S. economy right now is Congress", its talking about the House GOP.

An added bonus is the healthy heaping of unintentional hilarity in the Comments from butthurt righties whining that BusinessWeek are a bunch of bolsheviks.

But BusinessWeek aren't the only ones:

http://news.yahoo.com/u-growth-seen-braking-inventories-government-weigh-060305476--sector.html

Those raging Trotskyites over at DowJones weigh in too:

http://www.nasdaq.com/article/us-gdp-contracts-01-in-4th-quarter-20130130-00508#.UQnAWWdvHgk

Oh no! The Marxist-Leninsts have taken over MarketWatch too! Will the horror never end! Doesn't anyone think of the children?

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/five-reasons-the-gdp-report-is-misleading-2013-01-30

Finally, I love how righties sees the current economy as a strictly government failure while absolving the executive class in the private sector of any responsibility for their failure to create growth to the point where the government is the only thing holding the economy together.

17. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    92% of economists agree that the Obama stimulus reduced the jobless rate. Just sayin'

18. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Fewer people are employed today than when Barack Obama took office in 2009. We spent nearly a trillion in stimulus and the Fed has pumped trillions of dollars into the money supply. What do we have to show for it? Nada.

The Dems had total control of Congress in 2007 and Obama has been in office for 4 years. I keep
    hearing "the buck stops here" yet no one in this administration takes any ownership of any issue. We have a disaster of a Healthcare Plan that will further dampen any recovery and it hasn't even come fully on line yet. And yet the response is always the same.... It's Bush's fault, duh!

We no doubt you'll still be blaming the GOP and Bush 4 years from now.

19. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    You are a funny guy, the economy isn't even growing at 2% which would be anemic and far short of the rosy projections Obama and Company were promising a few years ago.

20. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The economy grew 2.2 percent this year.

92% of economists believe that without the stimulus, the Jobless rate would have been somewhat worse than it is now.

Boloni86 repped this.
  21. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    And I believe it is impossible, even for an incompetent clod like Obama, to spend nearly a trillion dollars and not have some positive impact on the economy.

Here's an interesting exercise for you. Guesstimate the number of jobs created, then divide by the amount stimulus dollars spent to calculate the cost of each job create, and then tell me it was all money well spent.

22. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I wish we were doing as poorly as you guys :(

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/...ds-for-triple-dip-as-GDP-contracts-0.3pc.html

Howard Archer, economist at IHS Global Insight, described the situation as “dire” and added: “We believe the economy is essentially flat at the moment. We suspect that GDP will not return to the level seen in the first quarter of 2008 until the first half of 2015 – a gap of seven years.”

And HE'S probably living in cloud-cuckoo-land as well.

23. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It did. The consensus among economists is that the stimulus prevented a depression. Without it, Jobless rates would have been in the 12-15 percent range for sustained periods.

Why don't you do the math yourself? Almost 2/3 of economist think that the stimulus was money well spent.

I don't necessarily 100% disagree with your rhetoric, nor to I think Obama's policies have been perfect, but you really need to inject some numbers into your argument. Numbers can be refuted or confirmed. Rhetoric is hollow.

You posted one number (the -0.1% for the quarter), however others noted that it was largely due to Sandy and defense spending cuts. The consensus among economists is that it was a small dip and nothing to worry about long term.

24. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Yesterday the consensus among economists was the GDP growth rate would be around 1.1%. Today's actually number was -0.1%. And given current trends that number will be downgraded next month.

And your challenge to calculate the cost per job created sounds like fun, but first I'd like your guesstimate. What do you think each job cost?

25. ratdog

ratdog Member+

Mar 22, 2004
    In the doghouse
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    See, this just shows how dumb and/or desperate the whacko Right have gotten after 8 years of Bush failure and having to be bailed out by Dems after the private sector and the GOP almost destroyed the country. We've heard the "we spent a lot and got nothing" meme for four years now and every time someone points out that what we got was avoidance of another Great Depression with its 20%+ unemployment, world-wise rise in real political extremism and finally a tragic world war.

Sucks to be butthurt you, then. Enjoy your little fantasy world where your side didn't do its level best to wreck the country and where a black Democrat didn't have step in to save your reality-denying ass. The rest of us will will stay reality-based.

fatbastard and Boloni86 repped this.