"repechaje"

Discussion in 'Mexico: Clubs' started by Nacional Tijuana, Jan 1, 2008.

1. Nacional Tijuana

Nacional Tijuana St. Louis City

St. Louis City SC
    May 6, 2003
    San Diego, Calif.
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not sure I quite understand this concept. It's said to be like a second chance at playoffs. So, that said, is there a repechaje tournament first, and then the playoff proper? If so, then how many playoff spots are decided by the repechaje? If not, then...???

I have looked at a few wikipedia articles about seasons passed, but noone explains the repechaje.

Thanks.

2. rock-star_79

rock-star_79 New Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Milwaukee
    Basically teams that end with the 7-10 best table position play a home and away series. The two victories teams will then advance to the play-offs as the 7 & 8 spot.

It is a mini tournament that is a waste of time. This method basically allows 10 teams in to the play-off which is more than half of the league. :confused: Mediocre teams are given a chance to win the league even though they have played average all regular season. :mad:

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

3. Nacional Tijuana

Nacional Tijuana St. Louis City

St. Louis City SC
    May 6, 2003
    San Diego, Calif.
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK, that's exactly what I thought. Thanks for the explanation. The next part of my factseeking today has dealt with the Primera A, where Tijuana currently resides (though there is talk about TJ I guess buying their way into La Primera at some point). I understand that, in general, the FMF is a 1-up-1-down pro-rel system. Furthermore, I understand that La Primera A has a certification system that only permits certain teams to be promoted from it.

All that said, how do the playoffs work in Primera A? How many teams are involved? Does lack of certification keep you from playoffs too?

I'm all for TJ having a team in La Primera, but it would thrill me to see it be due to promotion, not some "deal".

4. JrTigre

JrTigre New Member

May 16, 2006
    It's just another way to make money. Thats all it is really. I personally hate it. It's stupid really. Personally I think it should be no groups. Just the top 8 teams points wise. I remember when Pumas won their second straight championship they were the 9ths seed and Tigres was the 8th seed. The next Apertura Tigres was I believe the 9th seed and I can't remember who the 8th seed was but they didn't get in.