Renos to BMO

Discussion in 'Toronto FC' started by TOFC/ARSENAL, Jan 8, 2014.

1. TOareaFan

TOareaFan Member+

Jun 19, 2008
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Yes....BMO is hosting rugby....so we will be away until May and then have to vacate for about a month

2. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Rugby is a bit of an odd choice for the pan am games, it's not very widely played in the Americas. In fact Canada is likely the favourite for that one.

3. atlanticTFCfan

atlanticTFCfan Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 14, 2007
    Sydney, Nova Scotia
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    That's not so bad. If you recall, BMO did host a lacrosse team for a small bit.

Toronto Nationals, anyone?

4. ArteEtLabore

ArteEtLabore Member

Dec 16, 2006
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Given that soccer is one of the sports in the pan am games, you would have thought that that was what they'd be using BMO for.

5. TOareaFan

TOareaFan Member+

Jun 19, 2008
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Argentina and Uruguay are big rugby playing nations....as are Canada and USA....not sure who else is into it...at Pan Ams I think they play Rugby Sevens...don't quote me on that though.

6. TOareaFan

TOareaFan Member+

Jun 19, 2008
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I think they needed soccer to entice the money to the new Hamilton stadium after the track and field was moved.....soccer was originally supposed to be played in a variety of venues around the GTHA but was relocated into the single Hamilton venue.

7. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    True, I forgot about them. So no, Canada are not the favourites.

For reference, here's how these four ranked (there are no other American countries in the top 25):

9. Argentina
    15. Canada
    18. USA
    20. Uruguay

8. adrenaline11

adrenaline11 Member+

Jul 29, 2010
    Toronto
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Speaking of renovations, did anyone else notice the new bleachers they put in front of the regular north end seats?

9. TOareaFan

TOareaFan Member+

Jun 19, 2008
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    There are a few new "premium" seating options this year. The ones you notice (in the NW corner?) are called "director's lounge" seating. That box/lounge in that corner is the director's lounge and the red seats in front are for visitors/guests/etc to that lounge.....essentially, they cut the red seats in half and added those new black seats (the barriers in front of seats are tables/shelves for drinks food) with premium type seats and in food, box style, food service. I can't remember all of the other new premium areas (buddy at work was considering them) but there are a few......one I do know is there are now two group/patio/party areas right up top of the west stand on either side of the press box.....I think those are for groups of 30 - 40 and should offer a pretty spectacular view of the city (considering that anyone renting those is likely only partially - at best- interested in the match ;) )

This is all part of an "inventory maximization" effort they are going through right now. With the current payroll they are destined to lose money for the first time in club history....even though they accept that, they are tyring to minimize those losses wherever possible.

adrenaline11 repped this.
  10. Deleted User x

Deleted User x Member+

Mar 21, 2006
    But Larry Tanenbaum is.

crazypete13 repped this.
  11. adrenaline11

adrenaline11 Member+

Jul 29, 2010
    Toronto
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Thanks. I did not know what they were. It's nice to see that the first row of seats is now closer to the pitch.

12. TOFC/ARSENAL

TOFC/ARSENAL Member

Jan 20, 2007
    I think it is worth noting , given the lousy playing surface last weekend, that the last event played at BMO in November was a rugby match between Canada and New Zealand. Yes, we have had a harsh winter, but that field supposedly has special heating to extend the growing season. If TFC and the Argos are going to shatre the field, they had better be able to do better than this.

The best solution is still to have two different surfaces just as they do at Reliant Stadium in Houston.

13. TOareaFan

TOareaFan Member+

Jun 19, 2008
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sp...re-as-he-tries-to-prepare-turf-252331821.html

14. TOareaFan

TOareaFan Member+

Jun 19, 2008
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  15. ArteEtLabore

ArteEtLabore Member

Dec 16, 2006
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  16. TOareaFan

TOareaFan Member+

Jun 19, 2008
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    while he claims those were accidents....he purposefully opposed the BMO project as he does these days on anything that involves the city spending any amount of money.

17. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I'm a bit surprised since the Argos would benefit, but maybe CFL isn't good enough for him.

18. crazypete13

crazypete13 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 7, 2007
    A walk from BMO
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Apparently penny pinching is more important than football in Ford's world...

19. TOareaFan

TOareaFan Member+

Jun 19, 2008
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    He is firmly establishing himself as the candidate that does not spend money....regardless of what the opportunity is....that may fall apart when someone points out that the city had a replacement for the Scarboro RT at no cost to the city and he pushed for a different replacement that will cost $1B of city money.

20. crazypete13

crazypete13 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 7, 2007
    A walk from BMO
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Not to mention that the ten million is a loan, which will upgrade a city asset.

21. TOareaFan

TOareaFan Member+

Jun 19, 2008
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    and converts a variable payment to a guaranteed payment.

22. Deleted User x

Deleted User x Member+

Mar 21, 2006
    None of this makes sense. Why would MLSE need $10 million from the city that they will pay back with interest?

23. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    If the estimated rate of return is higher than the rate of interest, then it makes sense.

24. Deleted User x

Deleted User x Member+

Mar 21, 2006
    Wouldn't the rate of return be higher if they just paid it themselves and forego the interest all together?

25. TOareaFan

TOareaFan Member+

Jun 19, 2008
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    In today's low interest rate world, equity has a higher hurdle rate of return than debt.....borrowing money provides positive leverage.