Regional stereotypes within Korea

Discussion in 'Korea' started by BadAzzSnowboarder, Mar 2, 2004.

1. BadAzzSnowboarder

BadAzzSnowboarder New Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Malibu, CA
    As a lot may know, there's a lot of regional stereotypes Korean people harbor within the country.

I'm just wondering why that's not being exploited to draw bigger crowds for the K-League.

Here are some regional stereotypes I'm aware of:

Junlado - Basically the most hated region in Korea but with the best food and the best looking outdoorsy region. As my old man says, "never do business with Julado people 'cause they'll stab you in the back and look at you wtih a smile" This region is basically the Sicily of Korea. People there are hostile towards people from other cities but are extremely loyal to their own.

Suwon - There's an ancient saying in Korea that if translated, it comes out to: "A Suwonnite will chase a flie all the way to Seoul with a swatter for landing on their chili hangarri" That basically means that Suwonnites are stingy.

Incheon - It's a harbor city so the people there are said to have a merchant's instinct. Sly and deceiving.

2. the_13th_redneck

the_13th_redneck BigSoccer Yellow Card

Sep 3, 2002
    The following is true:

Junlado - Basically the most hated region in Korea but with the best food and the best looking outdoorsy region. As my old man says, "never do business with Julado people 'cause they'll stab you in the back and look at you wtih a smile" This region is basically the Sicily of Korea. People there are hostile towards people from other cities but are extremely loyal to their own

LOL

3. crom80

crom80 New Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Busan: the most original koreans. and hate ppl talking like "~~yo", "~~ hae ssuh?" hate seoul ppl. but the funniest also

Daegu: the most hot and humid place in korea i think. so they have short tempers and like to settle everything with their fists

Seoul: especially seoul ppl who never lived outside of seoul and dont travel much in korea think everywhere else is a country side and look down on the other koreans but inside they sort of envy the passion and lingo of pusan and daegu.

having lived at all three places i think Busan is the best place to live, it sort of feels like NY.
    the worst is daegu. and seoul sort of doesnt have a certain identity i can relate to. only good thing about seoul is everything is IN seoul so...

4. Step-Over

Step-Over Member

Mar 29, 2003
    My father is from the Kyung-Sang do area, near Tageu called Song Ju. My mom, I don't know the name of the province she is from, but she is from a town called Young Duk (famous for its sea crabs). Historically,Kyung-Sang people were quite oppressive to other people in different regions, as they were power thirsty. Do anyone know any stereotypes from people from the Kyung-Sang province or the town of Young Duk?

5. red fire engine

red fire engine New Member

Jun 7, 2003
    Anyang
    People in Anyang are perfect in most respects. Only down side is we don't have a football team anymore so we can't express our hate for Suwon which kind of relates to the initial point of this thread.

6. crom80

crom80 New Member

Jan 4, 2002
    i went to several games there cz my g/f lives in anyang and i loved the anyang vs suwon games.

funny thing i read about some of the reasons why anyang is the prominent team to move to seoul according to KFA was that seoul is close enough for anyang ppl to come and watch the game.

why in the world would they go and watch the team that sliced open their heart plunged a dagger through it and burned it to hell.

and why are all the friggin matches start at 3?? i bet someone at KBS and MBC hate soccer and want to air baseball games instead of the soccer games

bastards

7. Deleted Users

Deleted Users Member+

Nov 25, 2001
    Once again the people who run the damn sport in this country have no clue on how to do it.

bastards.

8. red fire engine

Jun 7, 2003
    Anyang
    I guess there are no geography majors or people of any intelligence whatsoever at the KFA.

Bucheon, Incheon, Songnam and Suwon are all CLOSER than the Seoul team will be.

It's about a 3 hour round trip to get too and from Seoul WC Stadium by subway, bus or even car due to the traffic conditions.

Incheon takes about 30 minutes one way straight down the highway. You can get an express bus to very near Songnam in about an hour, you can get a bus which takes you to within a 10 minute walk of Suwon in no time and Bucheon is right next door.

And as you say, who the hell would support the team after what they did?

I'm Incheon all the way. I won't get behind them in a big sense but that's the stadium I'll be going to.

They've got 4 former Anyang players as well anyway.

I hope this Seoul team bombs so the league can learn the biggest lesson of all once and for all. The league is for the people, and if you lose sight of that then you don't have a league (worth sh1t)

rfe

9. crom80

crom80 New Member

Jan 4, 2002
    reason why citizen financed team will never appear in Seoul...
    cuz itll become the NY Yankees of Kleague.
    every player would want to play in seoul and all the money will be dished to them from 1/4 of the population of korea.
    and that will get worse if there are two teams in seoul cuz they will put more money into the team to beat the other seoul team, and in respect sung nam bucheon inchun and suwons team will suffer the most.

solution?? bring in sang moo into seoul~ haha

KFA bastards

10. red fire engine

Jun 7, 2003
    Anyang
    Seoul has 10 million people out of 48 million so in a 16 team league they should have about 3 teams.

That would negate any chances of them getting more money from their population.

Busan is about to get a team with a lot of city hall involvement and they have 4 million so shouldn't they be one of the best teams if your theory were the case?

London has about 4 or 5 premier league teams so I don't see why Seoul can't get three.

11. crom80

crom80 New Member

Jan 4, 2002

cuz first of all, even though i hate to admit it, baseball is the nation's top sport. and much more so in busan.

and no one in korea has the financial power to privately own a pro team, especially a soccer team. so without city aid it will be impossible to run a team. and i dont think seoul will be crazy in having three teams in seoul. then all hell will break lose an baseball and basketball teams will want three in seoul also.

bastards

12. Deleted Users

Deleted Users Member+

Nov 25, 2001
    1. Koreans don't like soccer
    2. Seoul LG will become a big disaster unless KBS and SBS start creating campaigns to help the goddamn team and the league
    3. Nationalism - The Asian Cup, The summer olypics, world cup qualifiers

KOREAS WON"T GIVE A DAMN. Especially with this economic crisis BS. no way in heck Seoul LG will fill up its 6 mil stadium. At least i'll be there when Suwon goes up to Seoul. that's the only game they'll get 3000 won out of my pockets.

peace.

13. Blue and White Army

Mipo Dockyard
    Oct 14, 2002
    Toronto
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    You're going to ignore the boycott?

Traitor.

14. Deleted Users

Deleted Users Member+

Nov 25, 2001
    wonder what people will say once they see the giant banner that says "******** OFF LG. SEOULLITES WANT A SEOUL FC!" inside the stadium right in front of the TV camera on tv? worth a shot? will i get caught by the police? will they make me take it down? isnt that impeding freedom of speech? but they cant do anything to me. im an american citizen and under the SOFA status! worht a shot. screw the boycott outside the stadium. We're going live on tv!

15. woorijim

woorijim Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Bucheon, South Korea
    Did you know that LG is planning to build a 50,000 seated dome stadium for their baseball team, LG Twins? Seoul Mayor, Lee Myung-bak is actively involved in this project as well.

It's not known, however, whether the stadium will be built for a usage of baseball/football (eg. Sappro dome) or baseball only. If it's the former, which I really hope, then Seoul LG will have no hesitation to move AGAIN to their own stadium, disposing of Seoul WC stadium.

16. the_13th_redneck

Sep 3, 2002
    BASEBALL SUCKS
    It's a boring game, which has long past it and really compared to football it is like watching flies fark!
    The only game worse than baseball is probably golf!
    Football is the way to go.

17. Almogavar92

Almogavar92 New Member

Aug 17, 2001
    USA
    Club:
    Galatasaray SK
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    I think with the inauguration and administration of President Kim Dae-Jung, the "ji-yeok gam-jung" (지역감정) or regional rivalry between the Ho-nam and Young-nam regions of Korea have died down. Of course for Korea as a whole, in terms of our national reconciliation, this is a good thing. But in terms of what could have been exploited for football, it's a pity we can't see a recreation of some of the other regional rivalries that contribute to domestic football. In Spain, the regions of Catalunya and the Basque region often carry great resentment to the central Castille region and because of historic reasons, the passion spills over when FC Barcelona and Athletic Bilbao take on Real Madrid. Logically had there been such animosity between Jeonlla and Kyung-sang regions, we could have seen some classic football between Busan Icons and Gwangju Sangmu. But of course, that could happen in a fantasy world in which we don't have this KFA.

I still think that if Seoul could be a Buenos Aires in terms of having the same number of football clubs in one city, it would be a classic to see a club representing Gangnam and Gangbuk go at it. But of course, as someone wisely pointed out, sadly to say, it seems that club football isn't the priority in a lot of people's entertainment agenda. There doesn't seem to be the grassroots support that makes football the center of life as it is in European countries. There will be the hardcore fans, but in other countries, the number of these fans is huge. I mean in Turkey, you have a lot (I mean a lot!) of fans who could almost be called professional fans. If you want to see this passion, go to www.antu.com and press the link for FenerTV and click on any of the links that are listed. You'll see what devotion is. This isn't the case with Korea and it's sad to say because when I watched the 2002 World Cup, I saw what the potential was when our whole nation supported the national team. If only that kind of support could be duplicated at the club level. But I merely dream.....

18. the_13th_redneck

Sep 3, 2002
    The stuff you see in Turkish, German, English, Spanish etc. leagues is what is built on decades of football supporting tradition.
    Korea lacks that tradition. 2002 was a good step, but unless we have a current generation that will pass on to the later generation the joys and meanings of growing up with a team, such a tradition will never take place.
    A team is not something you can just pick and find at the age of 18 or 25. To really be a fan I think you need to really start young so that it's just a part of you and a part of that team just runs in your blood.
    I have been supporting the Korean national team since I was 12 years old, therefore I really can't have any team (even a club team) other than that side. I do have preferences, but as for being a real whole hearted fan, it's very difficult at best.
    This is another reason why moving LG Cheetahs to Seoul was a huge mistake. They created an advance case of good fans with a local derby against Suwon and they got rid of that. Anyang and Suwon were the last teams they should have ever considered moving.
    Anyways, it's up to fans like us to carry the supporting to the next generation at a young age and also have them play as well (do not stuff them in their rooms for 17 hours to Gong-bu-he).

19. crom80

crom80 New Member

Jan 4, 2002
    hell ill hold it with u

20. the_13th_redneck

Sep 3, 2002
    I'll help make the damn poster.

21. crom80

crom80 New Member

Jan 4, 2002
    just saw the sports news where the guy with the hammer anounced the formal decision.

LG sucks
    Lucky Goldstar my ass
    i never liked LG Twins anyways
    to hell with LG
    Samsung all the way
    LG cant even build cars for christ sakes

22. Blue and White Army

Mipo Dockyard
    Oct 14, 2002
    Toronto
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    And thus my lifetime LG boycott begins....

23. the_13th_redneck

Sep 3, 2002
    lol good luck... aside from cars they make just about everything else.

24. otto

otto New Member

Jun 24, 2002
    The Belly of the Beast
    I wonder if this generation of old-fashioned, conservative, corrupt thugs that run S.Korea who vie for votes by exploiting regional stereotypes will ever go away...
    [​IMG]

25. Deleted Users

Deleted Users Member+

Nov 25, 2001
    Sure it will!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]