Region 1 area tournaments for 2013?

Discussion in 'Referee' started by arsenal8884, Jan 3, 2013.

1. arsenal8884

arsenal8884 Member

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One of my major goals for 2013 was to work more mid/high level tournaments in my area of the country. While I don't mind traveling and spending a couple of nights in a hotel I have always found hard to finding out which tournaments are truely worth it.

Basically anything from CT to Virginia is an option.

Which tournaments do you guys love doing and which ones would you never go back to?:
    Rider Cup
    FC Delco
    Jefferson Cup - VA
    Empire Cup - NY
    Northeast Soccer Showcase - NY
    Bethesda Thanksgiving Tourn - MD
    Lou Ramos - PA
    Any other?

Tournaments I/ friends of mine have worked include:
    Manhattan Icebreaker
    Brooklyn Italians
    NEWSS
    Massapequa Soccer Showcase
    US Club Region 1 Qualifiers
    Anything MAPS done out of Ft. Dix

2. gildarkevin

gildarkevin Member

Aug 26, 2002
    Washington, DC
    Think about the Annandale Premier Cup March 8-10, 2013. All matches played on turf surfaces in Fairfax County and Prince William County in Northern Virginia. Will include teams from Canada, Denmark, England, Ireland, Mexico, and Sweden, plus top US club teams from across the United States. Will include Developmental Academy teams including DC United, Baltimore Bays, SC Toronto, San Diego, Vardar, and NJS.

www.annandalepremiercup.com

(and, no, I'm not affiliated with the tournament, though I'm planning to work it and am good friends with the assignor)

socref79, refinDC and Nestapele repped this.
  3. blueboy

blueboy Member

Oct 26, 2000
    Rider Cup level of play is equivalent to very good travel teams.

Jefferson Cup a little better, but not as high level as they advertise. In addition, if you are not a local, you will only get 3 games a day.

FC Delco has the highest level of play of these three - they are academy level and attract a number of academy level teams.

4. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    word to the wise...always make sure that you have the absolute and complete blessing of your SRA...

nsa repped this.
  5. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Important sounding tournament. Teams just don't add up to a big time tourney. I enjoy working it, but I only live 15 miles from the fields. Not sure I'd travel long distances to work it. Just not that prestigious.

Worked with a heavy-set guy that comes up our way every year from Monroe, Orange County to work this tournament.

6. asdf44

asdf44 Member

Jun 19, 2008
    Richmond VA
    I work Jefferson just because I'm local. It's alright.

7. arsenal8884

arsenal8884 Member

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    msilverstein - thank you for the info. Is it more of a going out of state issue or in regard to professionalism and approaching other assignors in associations/ states in which you are not registerd?

It goes without saying to represent yourself both properly and professionally whenever you do your job but especially when you represent for league/ assoc/ state.

8. Chas (Psyatika)

Oct 6, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Crystal Palace FC
    From the Referee Administrative Handbook, Pg. 43:
    So, the reason for doing so is, "because it's in the book!"
    (But to answer your question, it's because you're going out of state, not because you're approaching another assignor)

9. refmedic

refmedic Member

Sep 22, 2008
    WAGS is a great tournament. DC area. Columbus Day weekend.

refinDC and msilverstein47 repped this.
  10. Rufusabc

Rufusabc Member+

May 27, 2004
    Check out PDA Jersey tournaments. High skill level, good fields. Good guys.

Maps out of Dix is hit or miss as they have moved the better teams to better locations. But, you do work hard.

11. Baka_Shinpan

Baka_Shinpan Member

Mar 28, 2011
    Between the posts
    Club:
    Vegalta Sendai
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    In addition to letting the SRA know because it is in the book, you might want to also let your SDA know, particularly if hope to get assessed at one of these tournaments. If by some chance you get observed by someone higher up at one of these tournaments and they decide to say something nice about you to your SRA or your SDA, it would be a good for them to know that you went out of state so that they atleast know who you are and are not surprised.

msilverstein47 repped this.
  12. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yes, it's in the book and of course you are representing your state. Should a match happen to "blow up" and your SRA didn't even know you went out of state, it's a big black eye. Your future tourament goals should include both USA Cup in Blaine MN and of course the Dallas Cup.
    Marc

13. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    PDA? Player Development Academy? They put together really good teams/players from the ones I've seen come up here.

14. Rufusabc

Rufusabc Member+

May 27, 2004
  15. andymoss

andymoss BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 4, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I got the invite to this and am strongly considering going over - new teams, referees, scenery, etc.

More details from the assignor:

I respectfully invite you to come to Virginia to referee one of the most competitive youth soccer tournaments in the country - the Annandale Premier Cup, which will include the age group boys club team leaders from across the United States and equivalently competitive foreign teams from Canada, Mexico, Ireland, Denmark, Sweden, and England. The Annandale Premier Cup is the #4-ranked boys soccer tournament in the United States, to be played on the weekend of March 8-10, 2013, with all matches played exclusively on turf fields in northern Virginia. The pool of teams also will include Developmental Academy teams from San Diego, DC United, SC Toronto, Vardar, and NJSA.

The tournament will include training for all referees in the tournament; the 2012 tournament training was led by USSF National Assessor Brendan Barry, and we are finalizing the training program for this year's tournament now. We are expecting referee delegations from across the United States to join with the sterling referee pool in Virginia for an exceptional tournament.

Solid pay rates with bonuses for upper-level referees.

Travel discounts.

Comp hotel.

16. arsenal8884

arsenal8884 Member

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Marc - you are correct. I will be sending out emails

Andy - congrats on the invite. It sounds like a sweet time

Cleeansheet/ rufusabc - I'm familar with some of the PDA teams. More times than not, they have tremendous quality.

17. Nestapele

Nestapele Member

Dec 10, 2005
    MD, USA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    You should. It will be a good time :)

18. refinDC

refinDC Member

Aug 7, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Second this. I've done it in past, and will be there again this year (not that it's a big trip for me over the Potomac). The assignors are good too.

socref79 repped this.
  19. Rufusabc

Rufusabc Member+

May 27, 2004
    I went to Annadale as a parent. GREAT tournament.

(and if you are a Steely Dan fan...I'm never going back!)

20. gosellit

gosellit BigSoccer Supporter

May 10, 2005
    Different Annandale, but I can appreciate a Steely Dan reference !

21. Rufusabc

Rufusabc Member+

May 27, 2004
    Yep...Bard College.

gosellit repped this.
  22. socref79

socref79 Member

Apr 10, 2007
    I will be working Annandale and I am very close with the tournament assignor. Good to see the overall positive comments concerning this tournament and I will certainly forward them. Some mentorship groups will be in attendance and this year seems to be attracting more senior referees and national attention. Having worked this tournament last year, the competition was excellent. Uganda may send their FIFA contingency.

We should have a BigSoccer get-together if anyone is interested.

refinDC and JimEWrld repped this.
  23. wykell

wykell Member

Jun 9, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm with a group of NY referees that is likely going down after the assignor reached out to us - and I'm sure myself and a few other of the guys I'll be headed down with would love to get together to swap war stories.

24. Dave Anderson

Dave Anderson Member

Jan 11, 2013
    I'm going as well, and I know there is at least one car load coming from PA-West. This is the first time I've worked out east, as most of my tournament work has been in the midwest. I've heard good things about Annandale.

25. asdf44

asdf44 Member

Jun 19, 2008
    Richmond VA
    Got this in an email from cvsra who assigns the Jefferson Cup in Central Virginia.

"
    For the Boy’s Jefferson Cup (March 8 – 10th), FIFA Referee, Mark Geiger and FIFA Assistant Referee, CJ Morgante along with former FIFA Assistant Referee Rob Fereday will be attending and for the Girl’s Jefferson Cup (March 15th – 17th), FIFA Referee, Kari Seitz and FIFA Assistant Referees, Marlene Duffy and Veronica Perez are confirmed. This outstanding lineup of FIFA Referees and Assistant Referees brings a wealth of experience and knowledge, combine that with the best teams from around the country and top talented up and coming referees, you have the recipe for a great learning event!
    Also worth noting is that the Jefferson Cups are constantly rated within the top 2 youth soccer tournaments in the country. It features some of the nation’s top natural grass playing surfaces in the country with over 20 synthetic turf fields, including the River City Sportsplex, which is one of the nations largest turf complexes. Most Showcase games and"