Regarding dos-a-cero: Do we need a better sense of humor?

Discussion in 'USA Men: Fans & Travel' started by SFan415, Sep 11, 2013.

1. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Bullying is the new racism, dontcha know?

El Chuma repped this.
  2. Gioca

Gioca Member

Jun 13, 2004
    Hartford
    Club:
    US Città di Palermo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I came to this thread expecting it to be about how we can be more clever than saying "dos a cero" or something (and hopeful for some interesting suggestions), but then I read it and realized it's about a guy who thinks that's too mean of a chant, and now I'm just totally disgusted and leaving this thread.

3. UcanHateMeNow

UcanHateMeNow Member

Jul 3, 2013
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well I guess I'm a bully then because after the match walking to get cab, a Mexican fan was still waiving his flag proudly. I wouldn't have said anything to him but he decided to yell out ********. Being Mexican-American, I hate hearing the Mexican fans yell this on every away team goal kick. So I yell to him "Sabes donde esta New Zealand?" which means Do you know where New Zealand is?, and dude just kept walking...

4. NXNW

NXNW New Member

Jan 29, 2006
    Seattle
    I really don't see the issue with the Dos a Cero chant. I've seen numerous matches where El Tri fans are mixed with USA fans w/o fear of violence. OTOH USMNT fans traveling to Azteca need a phalanx of riot police. In that context "Dos a Cero" is a pretty mild form of ribbing.

5. owian

owian Member+

Liverpool FC, San Diego Loyal
    May 17, 2002
    San Diego
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Okay hopefully my ass doesn't get fired for revealing this anecdote. I am a teacher at a school that is probably 80% hispanic (of which 90% are mexican-american, if you look at my profile and a map it will tell you why). So I was grading papers the other day and came across one of my student's entries. It was from Sept 11th, 2013 and he said he couldn't answer my question properly because he was incredibly distraught about Mexico losing to the US last night and now they might not qualify for the worldcup. So being a good educator I decided not to write Dos A Cero instead wrote good luck against New Zealand.

When I gave him back his paper today he not only didn't take offense he thought it was funny and was stoked his white teacher actually cared about soccer. Talking good natured S**T is half the fun of sports.

6. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The first sentence is brilliant. The second is a truism, and could also be a truism if you replace "sports" with "being a guy".