Regarding dos-a-cero: Do we need a better sense of humor?

Discussion in 'USA Men: Fans & Travel' started by SFan415, Sep 11, 2013.

1. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Guatemala or Azteca?

2. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Guatemala like I said.

3. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    I see what your doing, very clever grasshopper. I raise an issue with safety at Azteca you discount it using an example from Guatemala, connecting two seemingly similar south of the border situations, then ignore and not recognize it based upon a different data point. Well played. A longstanding and successful Big Soccer and general debating tactic of the highest order. No wonder you are a Moderator.

4. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    What?! I was trying to make a funny with a small point. Obviously failed miserably.

5. backpackpenguin

Jul 8, 2007
    New York, NY
    True, maybe we can switch things up by chanting a mournful "cero a dos" with a look of pity so that the Mexican players know we're empathizing with their loss rather than gloating about our win.

6. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My bad then. I apologize. Haha!

7. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We should bring teddy bears next time so after they lose they have something to make them feel better.

Hamburgler03 and backpackpenguin repped this.
  8. owian

owian Member+

Liverpool FC, San Diego Loyal
    May 17, 2002
    San Diego
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of all the things chanted during soccer games and Dos y Cero is somehow seen as offensive? I am not not trying to jump down the OP's throat but I don't see how it in anyway can be seen as offensive? Living 20 miles from the Mexican border I interact with Mexican fans a lot, and have used dos y Cero quite often to great effect. And the response from the Mexican fan is never anger or offense but normally a sheepish grin and change of subject. If you can't give your biggest rival grief over the result of a game what can you give them grief about? (and trust me Irish fans are great and support their team but they root against England a lot too).

9. IU Gooner

IU Gooner Member+

Feb 8, 2009
    Chicago
    OP probably would've really hated the "You are going to New Zealand!" chant I started on the way out.

10. Hamburgler03

Hamburgler03 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 31, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    National Anthems are too nationalist and should be stopped.

mette72 and Kryptonite repped this.
  11. backpackpenguin

Jul 8, 2007
    New York, NY
    Friendly tip, you might want to start saying dos a cero instead of dos y cero to those Mexican friends.

BostonRed repped this.
  12. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've been to Azteca twice for WCQ. No big deal. The US Fan group gets just as involved in throwing. The Mexicans throw beer, on everyone, on themselves, on away supporters. No big deal. Some of it can get a bit out-of-hand due to group mentality. The riot police are necessary because of that and it probably leads to more bravado on both sides. If you get seperate tickets, away from the supporter section, to Azteca and you know how to be respectful you will be fine and meet nice people who love their futbol.

shinpath repped this.
  13. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is interesting to me how Dos a Cero has become so important in so many eyes in Columbus. The columbus results are nice, but are no more meaningful than losing at Azteca everytime. (Until this years draw -- and friendlies count for nothing.) For me, Dos a cero has nothing to do with Columbus and everything to do with 2002.

Obviously, this year winning at home is more than balancing an away loss -- it decides the two-game tie in our favor.

14. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Not your bad in hindsight I didn't bring my A game. It wasn't very humorous. It was more made in jest

15. owian

owian Member+

Liverpool FC, San Diego Loyal
    May 17, 2002
    San Diego
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My accent is so bad when I try and speak Spanish kind of doesn't matter. But cheers for the language tips.

backpackpenguin repped this.
  16. Dantezo

Dantezo Member

Sep 15, 2000
    Jeonju, S. Korea
    Ummm, DOS A CERO for life is how we keep this.

What kind of question is this... we are even too gentle with this.... :D ;) :D

17. Dantezo

Dantezo Member

Sep 15, 2000
    Jeonju, S. Korea
    [​IMG]

Ah .. nothing better... awesome scoreline, great leader LD - life is great!

Oh yes, my 1,000 th post ... what else would it be but DOS A CERO :D ;)

Hamburgler03 repped this.
  18. USAClash

USAClash Member

Feb 9, 1999
    Re the Irish supporters...you better believe that if they regularly beat the English 2-0, they'd let them know about it. It's about a healthy rivalry.

19. Hamburgler03

Hamburgler03 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 31, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cut it out Landon you bully.

song219 repped this.
  20. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm still trying to figure out what the OP is trying to say. If we're not so mean to Mexico when we beat them, other countries will like us more, like we're Ireland? I think that other countries are going to still love to beat us, because the USA is in some ways the least popular country in the world. I still remember in the World Cup in Korea, when the Korean masses were cheering for Portugal over the US, even though the US was the decided underdog. Fact is, people don't like the US because of non-soccer reasons -- we inflict things like Budweiser and "Friends" on the rest of the world. Alternatively, people like Ireland because they're not worried that Ireland is going to start bombing them or exploiting their workers.

21. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    We should be singing tres a cero if it were not for Dempsey.

22. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah. America forces other countries to watch "Friends" and drink Budweiser with our military might.

The dislike for America around the world is one of the greatest exaggerated myths in existence. Sure, it exists. But in pockets and general isolation surrounded by billions who wish they lived here and who like Americans.

El Chuma repped this.
  23. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    Pre-game in 2002, many (most? all?) Mexican fans in Jeonju were dismissive, if not insufferable. IIRC, quite a few predicted the score would be Dos-a-Cero for Mexico! (Truth be told, English fans made the same prediction in Rustenburg.) Afterwards, there was nary a Mexican to be found. I did look. S0, the Dos-a-Cero cheers & chants were more for our own enjoyment.
    It's difficult to take your butt-hurt over an innocuous chant of the scoreline seriously. It's not like we're chanting "where's your Green Card?" or "Chinga tu madre!" What's next, whining about La Guerra Fria?
    http://www.homage.com/store/tees-tops/t-shirts/sports/soccer/la-guerra-fria

24. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My butt-hurt? Sir, your typing before your thinking. Look at my profile. And where did I express a problem with "Dos a cero?"

25. IU Gooner

IU Gooner Member+

Feb 8, 2009
    Chicago
    I think the part after the paragraph break was directed at the OP and not you...