Reffing "unofficial" games

Discussion in 'Referee' started by R.U. Kiddingme, Feb 13, 2013.

1. Law5

Law5 Member+

Mar 24, 2005
    Beaverton OR
    I was scheduled for a men's O-30 2nd division game Sunday. Visiting team had only six players, and only two of them had their cards with them. Unfortunately, that was the first of my two games on that field, so I had to wait around for the next game anyway. They scrimmaged on their own and we went to our cars. Great chance to call my kids.

2. R.U. Kiddingme

Nov 30, 2012
    iowa
    Persuasive point.
    I will also point out that there are many kids that hardly ever play an unofficial game.
    Many of our kids' experience with soccer is a structured routine of going to practice and play on game day, whereas other cultures tend to have a "kick about" just to have fun.
    So maybe sometimes it's good to perhaps let the kids play on their own and learn to self regulate themselves so that perhaps they will learn that yes, you can just get a few kids together, grab a ball, and shove two sticks in the ground for a goal and have fun.

3. midmogooner

midmogooner Member

May 17, 2007
    You really can't be saying what you are saying there. Are you saying that kids should be playing soccer to have fun? But the former MLS benchwarmer (he also charges $60/hour for private lessons) who runs the U-6 Elite Academy told me that if my son does not start training seriously when he is U-7 I can kiss that Division-I full ride goodbye...

JimEWrld repped this.
  4. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Is there really such a thing as a D-1 full ride?

5. Paper.St.Soap.Closed

Jul 29, 2010
    If you're a male soccer player, probably not.

6. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    I get the impression that most non-football (and maybe non-basketball) scholarships these days are like the baseball scholarship my daughter's boyfriend got to Duke - $10,000 at a $50,000 school.

7. Chas (Psyatika)

Oct 6, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Crystal Palace FC
    But a baseball scholarship at Duke is the only sure-fire way to get drafted*

*in the 72nd round

8. Law5

Law5 Member+

Mar 24, 2005
    Beaverton OR
    I believe the figure that I have seen published about Duke is that 8% of the entering class are athletes. So, if you want to get into an elite school where your grades might not get you in, going through the athletic department may be the alternate route, even in the Ivy League (except Penn, I believe, where the athletic department's endorsement is the kiss of death in the admission department, or so I'm told.) The scholarship is secondary.

9. aek chicago

aek chicago Member

Sep 17, 2004
    Your dad is right.

There's a concept in tort law relevant to sports activity known as assumption of risk which basically shields referees from liability save for some pretty egregious negligence.

10. nonya

nonya Member

Mar 2, 2006
    I like my house and I want to keep it...

Unless I am somewhat insured by USSF, NFHS, NISOA, etc. I don't do scrimmages, Latino games, beach soccer, etc.

11. R.U. Kiddingme

Nov 30, 2012
    iowa
    That makes sense, I learnt' from Judge Wapner that you can't sue for choking on a fish bone if your eating fish soup...he also cited the assumption of risk.
    I'll be sure to point out to the judge that Wapner said it was so if it ever comes up.
    I will still shy away from games where I'm not under the auspices of the USSF.