"Referee Paint"

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Union' started by bluetooner, Apr 3, 2011.

1. bluetooner

bluetooner Member

Nov 7, 2008
    Carteret NJ
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    So, i first thought "what an asswank" the referee is when he "painted" a spot where the free kick, and thought how embarrassing when he was painting a line for 10 yards. It got worse when he "forced" Nakazawa to move the ball an inch closer to the spot, and then i hear that it is an MLS wide thing?

Boy, when you want the league to be better thought of in mainstream "soccer" countries, you really don't want to come up with really stupid "things" like that.

p.s. the ref today was rank rotten. I don't think i've ever seen a worse performance than that.

2. William Penn

William Penn Member+

Jul 2, 2010
    Bethlehem
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Free-kick spray has Blatter’s support

The ref was useless, though, I agree.

3. riot71

riot71 Member+

Dec 11, 2003
    New Jersey
    They do it in Mexico as well

4. SOBtilIdie

SOBtilIdie Member

Feb 14, 2010
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    why so negative toward the spray? its fantastic and helps stop encroachment on free kicks. It works. I wish they had implemented it sooner.

And 10 cards in 45 minutes? Garbage, but it doesn't really matter because the U didn't deserve any points from yestrerday.

5. unholyunion

unholyunion Member

Jan 21, 2011
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep, not an MLS wide thing, it's soon to be a FIFA wide thing once the votes go through, and most likely you will see it in the next WC

6. HODJA

HODJA New Member

Jun 9, 2008
    PPL Section 105
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Count me in the "I have no problem with this" crowd.

7. Patrick Bateman

Patrick Bateman New Member

Aug 1, 2007
    Parts Unknown
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, it's miles better than the alternative, which is obstructing free kicks, which always happens. I think some argentines invented it because it's always infuriating when people creep in after the ref sets up the spot, and it will and should be worldwide, what is the gripe?

8. miked9

miked9 Member+

May 4, 2000
    Philadelphia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I love the spray. I watched it in MFL matches last year and was astounded at how much nonsense it cut out of the game re: setting up walls, etc.

Pretty much the best FIFA innovation since the passback rule.

9. bluetooner

bluetooner Member

Nov 7, 2008
    Carteret NJ
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    It looks really stupid. Referees shouldn't need it. The "annoying" thing about encroaching is people running in - a line on the ground isn't going to stop the ref seeing that. A good ref should never be seen - this makes them more of a focus, and will not enhance the game at all.

The wall creeping forward a few feet makes no difference at all.

Oh yeah - it REALLY looks stupid (in my opinion)

10. sully127

sully127 Member

Apr 3, 2010
    138, C
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My biggest problem with the paint is that either the accumulated fumes effected the ref, or he was huffing it during halftime.

11. bluetooner

bluetooner Member

Nov 7, 2008
    Carteret NJ
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland

Maybe that's why he gave up/ran out at the end of the game for the Beckham incident?

12. miked9

miked9 Member+

May 4, 2000
    Philadelphia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I, and lots more people, disagree. The line is no more stupid than holding up little colored cards to give out fouls or having the linesmen wave flags for offside, and it drastically limits the amount of encroachment in games (which is present with even the best refs...which we saw at the world cup). And when you're looking to curl a ball over the wall and onto the 6 with pace, yes, every inch the wall encroaches makes a big difference.

Seriously, I watched it all last season in MFL and was astounded at how much of a difference it made. The only reason it looks weird is because it's new. Watch some games with and without it and you'll see what a positive difference it makes.

13. bluetooner

bluetooner Member

Nov 7, 2008
    Carteret NJ
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    We'll just have to agree to disagree then won't we.

A #DOOP a day will keep the Dr away.

14. miked9

miked9 Member+

May 4, 2000
    Philadelphia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    haha yeah somehow i imagine if the union had won 3-0 we wouldn't be having this discussion!

15. Flying Weasel

Flying Weasel Member

Mar 22, 2001
    Harrisburg, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The paint is standard practice here in Brasil and has been for a number of years. Given the problems it's trying to curb, it makes sense and definitely seems to help. It's easy and doesn't slow the game at all. In fact, it can make things faster as it minimizes the back and forth between the ref and the wall over where the invisible 10 yard mark is. On the whole it is a positive and I really can't think of a negative. Never thought of it looking stupid, I just thought about it being at least moderately effective.

16. bluetooner

bluetooner Member

Nov 7, 2008
    Carteret NJ
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Nah, i would have brought it up. Maybe it's the "traditionalist" in me, and given a chance (and better referees might help) - but the "result" is irrelevant to it. I would have said the same if i had seen it in Brazilian football (which according to the other poster it works well).

17. unholyunion

unholyunion Member

Jan 21, 2011
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What's worse though... the ref stopping a lead up to the ball every few seconds to tell the players to move back, or marking the spot once and it being clear as to why he may be stopping the play at that moment...

Watch rugby and you'll see how often the call the play dead and reset and see how annoying it is because of positioning and it no being proper (usually the scrum). I've seen a ref stop one free kick 3 or 4 times to move the players each time. This guarantees where the spot is, and there's no dispute.

18. MyCynideCathrsis

Feb 20, 2008
    The River End
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I saw the paint in Brazil quite a few years ago in Brazil and thought it was an excellent idea, and was surprised it wasn't implemented in more places around the world.

unfortunately for the game, there seems to be less and less of a respect for the referee these days and the spot where he designates free kick and especially 10 yards from the wall are more often than not ignored. While the players scoot up the referee is forced to hold up play until they get back into place, only to have the players inch forward when he turns his back.

This paint draws a clear line for the players and gives the referee more control over the game and in the long run allows the play to continue in a more timely fashion.

19. TheMightyUnion

TheMightyUnion New Member

Feb 24, 2011
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it's a good idea as well. When I first saw it i thought it was a little extreme but it makes sense and should help teams score on free kicks. I also thought it would scuff up the field with all these random markings but it appears to be a more watered-down spray that fades away pretty fast. Good move MLS.

20. Doop

Doop Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why paint and not some marker i.e. referee flag bag? That way you dont' have to respray after the match and f up the pitch. I mean there's confetti, and banners and all sorts of other garbage on the pitch, two little weighted flags can't be that bad, can it?

:confused:

21. Mr Tips

Mr Tips Member

May 10, 2006
    Philadelphia; 138
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    because this disappears after a few minutes and you aren't introducing a potential obstacle onto the pitch that an official will have to pick up later. it's a very good solution.

22. Doop

Doop Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It magically "disappears"? What is it a powder / water mixture? :confused:

23. billf

billf Member+

May 22, 2001
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As a former referee, I can say that this shouldn't be needed, but unfortunately many referees don't do their job. Something like this eliminates any question.

Also, the creeping in makes a HUGE difference. At a pro clinic I attended, we saw a slide tha showed the difference in open goal a free taker sees with a wall positioned properly, at 8 yards and at 6 yards . If you're a good free kick taker, you're at a severe disadvantage when the wall encroaches and at the team commuting the foul is gaining an advantage to which it isn't entitled.

The idea to use paint like this started in the Brazilian league about 10years ago and Fifa allowed it. Mexico adopted it recently as well. I believe this going to be used in WCQ and other leagues as well.

It's something similar to that, yes.

24. Aiken 4 the Union

May 28, 2009
    Springfield - Delco
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it is a bit silly; I don't see how it stops the players from encroaching; its not an actual forcefield. For instance Le Toux (and someone else) kept encroaching and giving Beckham an excuse to not take that free kick at the end of the game when it was obvious he was not going to take it to get a yellow. After Le toux did stop it still took the ref about 30 more secs for the ref to give the yellow (you can see Beckham laugh as if to say I can't believe it took you that long).

On a diff note the ref was terrible but had nothing to do with our loss.

25. bluetooner

bluetooner Member

Nov 7, 2008
    Carteret NJ
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland

I'm not alone....