Referee Nerd Alert (share'm here...)

Discussion in 'Referee' started by campbed, Jul 2, 2012.

1. fairplayforlife

fairplayforlife Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. andymoss

andymoss BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 4, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Steady on sunshine!

hefftheref and usaref repped this.
  3. chwmy

chwmy Member+

Feb 27, 2010
    Winner. Hands down. Only way to be nerdier is if you rub collina's head for luck before every game. :)

IllinoisRef and usaref repped this.
  4. 2wheels

2wheels Member

Oct 4, 2005
    Project Glass, anyone?

For a thou quid (£1000, or 1500 US-greenbacks), these peepers [will] not only offer a hi-tec adaptation specific to footy-officiating, including a true hind-sight (rear-view mirror alternative), they are what could be called the ultimate AR (augmented reality) utility, tracking live feed(s) and whatnot, for instantaneous decision making.

The live feed(s) would not only be from the sideline-ARs (asst referees), but also from the sensors in the shoes, clothing, etc, analysed instantly to provide valuable data about performance, work-rate, and possible strategy for the remainder of the match.

The shoe-sensor will no doubt be also able to sense the terrain (firm turf, dry turf, slippy grass, bumpy-hard) and send this information to the phase-changing nano-tech cleats, and also make the 'leather' breathable or water-repellant or cool or warm.

The officials' changing room will of course have a "spray-on" chamber, where they would spray on the nano-fabric ward-robe in the fifth kit colour, water-repellent or drifit or whatevah. They may have to reach the pitch a little bit earlier than what they would usually, so this would not be as practical for the tardies amongst us.

Then all that remains will a little squish-squish on the whistle(s) to match. No worries there!

There is this small logistical hiccough that is still bothering me little grey cells - and this is about showing cards to mischief-makers that are of two different colours, one yellow and other red or vice versa. I reckon, it is easy to programme a card to change colour when you write the mischief code (UB, SFP, etc), but the next step is still being worked on. Standby!

5. Dayton Ref

Dayton Ref Member+

May 3, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    The birthday gift list for my parents had all things related to reffing in price ranges (low, medium, high).
    Runner's hat, in all back of course. http://www.zappos.com/columbia-coolhead-ball-cap-black~1
    Red or blue short sleeve ref shirt since all but my yellow is the old style.
    Garmin Forerunner 210 because I've been dying to know how much running I do and my wife doesn't believe me when I want to record it to our workout plan.

6. LeetOwnage522

LeetOwnage522 Member

Mar 26, 2008
    Doodlestan
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I used to only wear 1 watch then got hammered by my ARA for it out at the fields one day. Lesson learned.

7. uniqueconstraint

Jul 17, 2009
    Indianapolis,Indiana - home of the Indy Eleven!
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    count me in the "two-watch" crowd - had my watch battery die in mid-match during a tournament 3 years ago. AR1 wasn't wearing a watch. No, that last sentence did not contain a typo. AR2 didn't start his watch because "I thought you were taking care of that". o_O So.... AR2 lost his watch for the rest of the match, I asked to meet the coaches at midfield. Thankfully both had watches and were 2 seconds apart. We split the difference and crisis averted.

Now I wear 2 watches and have 2 more in my bag, just in case.

8. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    He definitely would have nothing to post in this string!

9. Law5

Law5 Member+

Mar 24, 2005
    Beaverton OR
    I have a New Zealand coin with Lizzie on one side and Able Tasman's ship, the Endeavor, on the other. "Heads or sails?" Girls like to call 'sails,' just so they can say that they did. Guys go "huh?" I have another with a kiwi on the reverse, so it's 'heads or no tails.'

10. La Rikardo

La Rikardo Moderator

May 9, 2011
    nj
    This is pretty nerdy, not just as a referee, but generally as well.

11. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    Coming here to check threads in order to decide which Tivo-ed MLS match to watch next?

JimEWrld repped this.
  12. campbed

campbed Member

Oct 13, 2006
    New Hampshire, USA
    Sitting here watching ManU v WestHam, and trying to figure out what GPS watch and whistle the referee is using (and I might do that on other games too....)

[[got to play with my Gramin 210 first gps watch today. neat.]]

13. refontherun

refontherun Member+

Jul 14, 2005
    Georgia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I did the scoresheet printing thing, but I use the word file labeled scoresheet. I like the color USSF logo.:giggle:

http://www.rcsoccerclub.org/referees/

14. refontherun

refontherun Member+

Jul 14, 2005
    Georgia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I actually lost my wallet, so I've taken to a 5"x8" card folded in half with my yellow card in the fold. I saw the ref in match between Barcelona and Real Madrid do something like this and it seemed to work well (oh oh; nerd alert:oops:) . I keep it in my left front short pocket. For younger ages, I can do four games on one card. For bigger kids and adults, one side for score and the other for discipline/notes. The cards come in a pack of 100, so a pack will last a long time, and they are sturdy.

15. NBTHOMCCC

NBTHOMCCC Member

Aug 16, 2009
    I have a coin made by our town to commemorate it's mining history. "Heads or tailings?"

dadman repped this.
  16. RichM

RichM Member

Barcelona
    United States
    Nov 18, 2009
    Meridian, ID
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've used that one before. Guess it's a referee nerd thing that I replaced the old style USSF logo with the current version.

17. JeffG

JeffG Member

Mar 9, 2005
    MN, USA
    I've been thinking about getting a second equipment bag, just for the NISOA gear (shirts, pants, socks, warm-up suit, flipping coin). Should I double up on all the other stuff in my current bag? (pump, gauge, data wallet w/personally-designed, individually-printed scoresheets, first-aid kit, towel, net stakes, zip ties, spare rope for net repair)

18. Law5

Law5 Member+

Mar 24, 2005
    Beaverton OR
    I have a separate bag for college stuff, in season. I don't carry net repair supplies. Not my job. I do not double up, though, on whistles, watches, pens, cards, etc. I move them between bags, depending on which game I'm doing the next day.

19. Paper.St.Soap.Closed

Jul 29, 2010
    After forgetting my "accessories" bag (whistle, cards, etc) on a college road trip, I decided a full duplicate kit was in order. I'm with Law5 on the subject of net repair; not my issue on a college match. Post-retirement I had a complete NISOA bag so that when it was time to run off to a college match everything was set and ready to go.

dadman repped this.
  20. JeffG

JeffG Member

Mar 9, 2005
    MN, USA
    Ah, you D1 guys have such a cushy life. C'mon down here with the JuCo sometime! :p (though, to tell the truth, I haven't repaired a college net in the past few seasons, other than to reattach to the plastic hooks...)

21. Paper.St.Soap.Closed

Jul 29, 2010
    True! Actually, I have never done a JC game but I have done some start-up DII (and even D1) programs that probably have similar challenges as JC.

I used to be that referee who could fix any problem with the pitch but that ended pretty quick. I'm a manager and business owner as my day job, so I turned to delegation and roles/responsibilities. Determining if the pitch was safe and ready for play is my job. Fixing the issues? Site coordinator :)

22. MOREFFIN

MOREFFIN Member

Sep 5, 2008
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [quote="For curiosity, do you have matching whistles as well?[/quote]

All except green. And only because I've been too lazy to order the green!

23. cinepro

cinepro Member

Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Heads or Rails?

[​IMG]

dadman and Law5 repped this.
  24. Rufusabc

Rufusabc Member+

May 27, 2004
    I told this story once before. When I first started out, I used to have a spray can or two of paint in my trunk (left over from club administration duties). On a very windy day, I sprayed the top of the area because there wasn't any marking at all. I was trying to be a nice guy. I ended up spray painting my shoes! No more spray cans, and no more net repairing either.

dadman repped this.
  25. JimEWrld

JimEWrld Member

Jun 20, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I didn't really know where to put this, and didn't really want to start a new thread....

Does anyone else have issues with your cards getting a tad gunked up after a couple months of use? I am using the neon USSF set from OSI and I have gone through six sets of cards this year. What do you all use and what have been your observations?