Referee Nerd Alert (share'm here...)

Discussion in 'Referee' started by campbed, Jul 2, 2012.

1. RichM

RichM Member

Barcelona
    United States
    Nov 18, 2009
    Meridian, ID
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Guilty of both. And the tan only from 4-6" below the knees to 4-6" above the knees is definitely a conversation-piece when you show up at a pool or the beach..

Reminds me of this: http://www.funnyjunk.com/funny_pictures/158913/Summer/

[​IMG]

2. Gary V

Gary V Member+

Feb 4, 2003
    SE Mich.
    Nope, I made my own up in Excel.

I use an Eisenhower dollar. Sometimes before the game, I ask the kids if they know who it is. I give them a hint, he was president when I was born. "Washington?" Grrrrr.

I wear a knee brace on one leg. So one leg gets tan above and below the knee, the other gets a thin stripe above and below the brace.

3. Scrabbleship

Scrabbleship Member

May 24, 2012
    The sock tan is the worst. Curse my pasty white Irish/Scot heritage skin!

Also, I have the watch tan on my right wrist and large sweatband tan line on my left one. And I use an Australian 20c coin for the toss. Most players don't say anything, but nearly every AR gives me the "what the hell is on that coin?"

4. usaref

usaref Member

Jan 13, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Youth Regionals this year: Some guy had a matching clipboard for each of his jerseys:ROFLMAO:!

Also in the color coordination realm: Whistles matching each jersey color. That is fairly "normal" (for nerds like us:)). Some people have shoes for each color jersey as well!:sneaky:

5. refontherun

refontherun Member+

Jul 14, 2005
    Georgia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I use these. I like the USSF Logo.

http://www.rcsoccerclub.org/referees/

6. fairplayforlife

fairplayforlife Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. nsa

nsa Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Feb 22, 1999
    Notboston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Clearly you're taller than me. My tan is only 2-4 inches above and below. :)

8. RichM

RichM Member

Barcelona
    United States
    Nov 18, 2009
    Meridian, ID
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think I like that one better. It was protected from editing with a password, but after removing that I updated it with the current USSF logo instead of the old one and tweaked a couple things. Thanks for the link!

9. nsa

nsa Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Feb 22, 1999
    Notboston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. Errol V

Errol V Member+

Mar 30, 2011
    Speaking of non-monetary and foreign coins, I can't stand it when some referees translate the pictures on them into heads and tails:"OK, the flag is heads (flips coin) and the soccer ball is tails. What is your call, sir?"

11. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    I have a number of "coins" that came from tournament that actually say "Tails" on one side . . . makes it hard to get confused . . . :ROFLMAO:

12. NHRef

NHRef Member+

Apr 7, 2004
    Southern NH
    My son has a black/white "coin". Twice I've seen him use it when I was AR. Twice he said 'call black or white", twice the call was heads or tails. One time took going to a 3rd try to get a black/white call

He doesn't use it anymore

La Rikardo repped this.
  13. SA14mars

SA14mars Member+

Jan 3, 2005
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I have different ones made for USSF, HS, and NCAA ready in Excel, and probably 4 or 5 versions of each. I also typed my own match report and made it so I can fill it out on my phone at the game...

I think I have more tan lines than half the cast of Jersey Shore. Actually that might be a bad analogy...

14. Scrabbleship

Scrabbleship Member

May 24, 2012
    This reminds me of a referee I knew who had a two-headed coin. No confusion with that one either.

15. GKbenji

GKbenji Member+

Jan 24, 2003
    Fort Collins CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Watch goes on my left wrist when I'm CR, right wrist when I'm AR. Balances out that way. :) And I guess I'm not geeky (or paranoid) enough to wear two watches, even though twice I've had watches fail on me mid-game. :(

16. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009

It is intersting what issues pick at us differently -- I feel completely naked in the center without two watches. (Perhaps b/c back in my early days my primary watch was a hand-held stopwatch with a sliding on/off switch that manged to get stopped accidentally every once in a while, with a backup analog watch with a rotating beezle . . . )

17. Law5

Law5 Member+

Mar 24, 2005
    Beaverton OR
    Are you stalking my kid? :geek:

Another NH Ref repped this.
  18. fairplayforlife

fairplayforlife Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wish my excuse for wearing two watches was as noble as some of the reasons others have given. I simply don't want to do the math to figure out minutes. One watch counts up, the other counts down.

refontherun and campbed repped this.
  19. La Rikardo

La Rikardo Moderator

May 9, 2011
    nj
    That's as noble an excuse as I've ever heard.

20. iron81

iron81 Member+

Jan 6, 2011
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I only use one watch, but I utilize the countdown timer as my primary time and the countup stopwatch as a backup. The countup is only useful in an emergency because it takes too much fiddling with the watch to display it.

When I got the watch, I spent 3 hours at the mall looking at hundreds of watches looking for one that could display a countup and a countdown simultaneously without success. Come to think of it, that's pretty nerdy.

21. ChelseaSounder

Nov 5, 2009
    Seattle, WA, USA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does taking a specific trip to the bank and changing our $5 for half dollars count?

22. NCFire

NCFire Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Chapel Hill
    This one http://tinyurl.com/chqyrzp shows count up and count down(controlled by different buttons). It was my main watch until the band snapped in half mid-match (after about three years of constant use. Setting was a pain and the buttons were sticky but I loved having both on the same screen.

23. Scrabbleship

Scrabbleship Member

May 24, 2012
    Never worn two watches as IMO it seems overkill for what I am doing. Maybe if the day ever comes that it fails mid-match, I'll consider it. A couple times I've forgotten to start it, but that's what ARs are for.

I have a sailing watch which has two countdown timers. The main one has preset times which makes it quicker for changing, and once it reaches 00:00 it starts counting up which comes in handy at half-time.

24. rkucenski

rkucenski Member

Sep 23, 2011
    Flower Mound TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I wear two watches, mainly because I was told from an early age. I use both just to count up...nothing fancy. The second watch does come in handy on a very serious injury when I want to stop time. That way I don't have to figure out adding in 8 minutes.

Used to photocopy score sheets and made my own. Any more I just use a folded up piece of paper, and sometimes when I run out I use the back of last game's roster. Simple...just write color, X for kickoff, time of goals, and any misconduct. Again, nothing fancy.

As for a crutch or a ritual, I have to have gum. Four pieces. Two in each shirt pocket. Pop one in before game starts, switch it out midway through half. Same for second half. The switching gives my mouth just that taste of something midway through the half. And chewing just calms me down at a heated moment. If I player or coach says something, I deliberately chew 2 or 3 times so I can think and not say something quick and stupid. Then I usually say something stupid anyways, but I have had time to think of that witty reply. :cool: