Referee Memes

Discussion in 'Referee' started by La Rikardo, Aug 4, 2012.

1. Chas (Psyatika)

Oct 6, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Crystal Palace FC
    Did you make this? My recert instructor put this in his power point presentation.

2. roby

roby Member+

SIRLOIN SALOON FC, PITTSFIELD MA
    Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    [​IMG]
    I wasn't coming from a previous match. I was honored at a Ref Appreciation Day held at the adjoining field.:whistling:

Scrabbleship and dadman repped this.
  3. socref79

socref79 Member

Apr 10, 2007
    Hey BubbaAtlanta...now I think of that meme I posted every time I see your name. hahaha.

Bubba Atlanta repped this.
  4. socref79

socref79 Member

Apr 10, 2007
    Ok slackers. I'll give you something to think about.

1stA.jpg

5. aaronriley

aaronriley Member

Jul 9, 2011
    This is perfect the next time I hear the comment "He can't throw me out, I have 1st Amendment Rights!" from a parent. And yes, that is a true story. Sadly as I was only the AR and the center didn't hear it, and the dad in question was well behaved afterwards, we never got to enjoy that particular argument.

6. NHRef

NHRef Member+

Apr 7, 2004
    Southern NH
    had that from a player once (U16B) who screamed at a kid taking a corner kick. Told him to knock it off and don't do that. He said he had a first ammendmant right, so I said "yup you do, and I have the right to card you for it"

IASocFan, dadman and chaoslord08 repped this.
  7. socref79

socref79 Member

Apr 10, 2007
    Lowry, after the DCUxColumbus game:

Chapman.jpg

arsenal8884 repped this.
  8. La Rikardo

La Rikardo Moderator

May 9, 2011
    nj
  9. La Rikardo

La Rikardo Moderator

May 9, 2011
    nj
    Screenshot 2013-04-13 at 23.31.03.png

The most frustrating thing about working with inexperienced and/or lazy ARs

rh89, sandaroo, soccerman771 and 7 others repped this.
  10. NHRef

NHRef Member+

Apr 7, 2004
    Southern NH
    while I agree 100% with you, I was AR1 on a U13 Region 1 Premier game, instructions from teh CR included "don't kill yourself getting to the end line, that's just a waste of energy"

fun part was after the game he told me he was trying to upgrade to a G7.

11. refontherun

refontherun Member+

Jul 14, 2005
    Georgia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope he was talking about when you are absolutely positive the ball is going out of play over the goal line. I know they do it in pro and international games, but those guys only do one game every few days. If there is going to be action down there, you had better be busting your ass to get there.

La Rikardo repped this.
  12. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I usually precede that comment with "if the ball is already over the goal line, you don't need to continue your run to the end line. Stop and signal after the ball is over the end line."

13. NHRef

NHRef Member+

Apr 7, 2004
    Southern NH
    After watching him run a line on the second game, unfortunately I don't think he meant the reasonable and common sense statements you both make.

dadman, nsa and La Rikardo repped this.
  14. fairplayforlife

fairplayforlife Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I usually tell them that if they aren't going to make the run to the goal line for the obviously boomed ball on a GK then don't signal at all. I think it looks worse when they signal from the PK mark than it does for them to make eye contact with me, stop and just not signal. I take care of the signal.

gosellit and nsa repped this.
  15. Paper.St.Soap.Closed

Jul 29, 2010
    Yes, indeed.

My instructions used to be that if everyone in the park knows it's a GK (i.e., ball ended up in the parking lot) you don't need to sprint down to the goal line. But I'll be damned if you're going to signal for GK anywhere further out than even with the goal area. Just my quirk.

When I am the AR, I would make a brisk jog to the six and make my signal. Unless it's a game with competent ball shaggers, then I will hustle a bit more so they don't beat me.

dadman repped this.
  16. Doug the Ref

Doug the Ref Member

Dec 6, 2005
    St. Louis
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My first thought was a GK on a PK. :confused:

Regarding AR, I was working on a State HS Final with a CR from other side of the state. First ball for me was a clear goal kick. I ran to the endline, looking over my shoulder and the CR just "Knew" I was going to call a corner kick. I calmly turned and signaled goal kick. At half time he admmitted he was concerned, and not used to that because no one does that on his side of the state. :)

dadman and La Rikardo repped this.
  17. La Rikardo

La Rikardo Moderator

May 9, 2011
    nj
    The fact that a state HS final referee didn't expect that out of his ARs is extremely disconcerting. o_O

dadman repped this.
  18. fairplayforlife

fairplayforlife Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. Also brings up the question of how states do their "finals" crews. In KY we send a crew from each region to be evaluated on prelim matches and they stick together, for better or worse.

19. socref79

socref79 Member

Apr 10, 2007
    Maryland chooses an association and the assignor provides the crew.

20. fireant

fireant Member

Sep 20, 2006
    In South Carolina, each regional assignor picks a crew. The high school league assigns the crews to games (3 girls divisions, 4 boys divisions).

21. sjquakes08

sjquakes08 Member+

Jun 16, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think if an AR does not have the energy to get to the endline on every play, he's probably not fit enough to be a referee ;)

22. La Rikardo

La Rikardo Moderator

May 9, 2011
    nj
    If that were a requirement, we would have a critical shortage of referees.

23. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Nah ... I still pass that test.

24. fairplayforlife

fairplayforlife Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That ship sailed long ago in some places and without even that motivation. The results are sometimes frightening.