Referee "Meltdown" (Youtube Video)

Discussion in 'Referee' started by Slaskwroclaw18, Dec 5, 2012.

1. uniqueconstraint

Jul 17, 2009
    Indianapolis,Indiana - home of the Indy Eleven!
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Our state HS soccer commissioner said it best last night: "what inspires people to think that as long as you end the sentence with 'sir' you can say whatever you want?" :)

2. Law5

Law5 Member+

Mar 24, 2005
    Beaverton OR
    I like what you wrote here. Almost every referee, sooner or later, ends up with a game like this. So what are the take aways?

My career would have gone quite a bit farther if I had realized earlier how important it is to be absolutely calm in these situations. The next time it happens to you, I hope that I hope your brain will kick in with the message "That's right. I'm not going to let this guy get to me." Take a deep breath. Literally. Fight or flight? No. This guy is so far below you that you don't need to do either. You can just be amused at what a jerk he is. You know you are in control when you are relaxed enough that you can throw one liners at him, like the classic "Coach, you got your assistant all warmed up?"

This type of coach thinks that he's your boss, so he can summon you to explain yourself. Of course, he has no right to do so. YOU are the representative of FIFA, USSF, USYSA, your state youth association and the league. He's just a guy with a bunch of cones and some ratty balls. Probably a clipboard, too. If he won't behave, he gets to leave. As that great Italian-American philosopher, Don Vito Corleone, said, "Nothing personal. It's just business." The key is that you aren't willing to to talk to him about your decision. You will talk to him about his behavior, and nothing else.

And, if you meet this guy again, don't worry. More than half of the time, they're embarassed. If he isn't embarassed, he does know that you have no fear about dismissing him.

aek chicago, Kempa, dadman and 6 others repped this.
  3. Law5

Law5 Member+

Mar 24, 2005
    Beaverton OR
    I was once doing a line for my daughter on a U-15 girls game. One of the players didn't like one of her decisions and begins to loudly protest, 'SIRRRRR!!!!!!' Marlene replied "First of all, do I look like "sir" to you?" One of the player's teammates exclaimed, "Way to get the ref on our side, Susie." That was pretty much the end of that protest!

dadman repped this.
  4. jayhonk

jayhonk Member+

Oct 9, 2007
    The ejected parent is the commentator heard in the first 25 seconds of the video.
    Transcript:

I think its ridiculous that she can pick and choose what calls... she is afraid to call a penalty kick
    ...and 'ball to hand' doesn't mean anything. If it affects the path of the ball... and a scoring chance?
    Absolutely you call it.

And if you don't know the rules of the league(?) she is reffing in... that's a problem for me.

Great call.

dadman, JeffG and uniqueconstraint repped this.
  5. Wahoos1

Wahoos1 Member

Oct 31, 2004
    Wow. What an antagonistic asswipe. It freaking u10 you redneck idiot. And once the racist comments come out, game over.

6. Paper.St.Soap.Closed

Jul 29, 2010
    But isn't her response there just awesome? The whole, "you weren't raised right" part just made me happy. Addresses the comment but doesn't stoop to his level.

7. iron81

iron81 Member+

Jan 6, 2011
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I didn't hear anyone say anything inappropriate before the ejection.

8. wguynes

wguynes Member

Dec 10, 2010
    Altoona, IA
    Iron.
    You're wrong both here and on the youtube comments. The guy was completely inappropriate in the video and, according to the video poster, before it as well. He just finally met a referee who was listening and had the courage to act. The only remaining issue is to teach her a better mechanic to keep this guy from escalating.

You're not going to convince anyone here that this referee doesn't have the authority to tell this guy to leave because of some word in the LotG.

Edit: My apologies: I mistook Iron for another poster. My bad

9. iron81

iron81 Member+

Jan 6, 2011
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I mean, I didn't hear anyone yell anything but positive encouragement. If you guys hear whining about the ref in the video, fine, but I didn't.

10. wguynes

wguynes Member

Dec 10, 2010
    Altoona, IA
    Iron, my bad. I posted an edit to show my mistake. You spoke almost exact wording from the comments and I overreacted. I'm leaving my mistake up for a record of my dumb mistake. I hate revisionist threads. Heh.

There is a guy on the Youtube comments that is trying to convince everyone that referees can't do it, though.

11. jayhonk

jayhonk Member+

Oct 9, 2007
    I did not make up that transcript. Its on the youtube.

12. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Technically, It was that Mick/Kraut Tom Hagen who said that.

13. R.U. Kiddingme

Nov 30, 2012
    iowa
    The best advice I had ever received on this is to practice and rehearse what you should say when these situations unexpectedly arise. If you train yourself for these things it is much more likely that you will be more composed and controlled, which is the key. Just like drills on a Navy ship, you don't want to be wondering what to do, rather you want to act instinctively as per your training.
    And if you have a good wit about you, by all means use it. When appropriate, a quick jab is by far the best weapon in your arsenal to quickly dissipate such a situation. (when appropriate that be).

dadman repped this.
  14. R.U. Kiddingme

Nov 30, 2012
    iowa
    And oh ya, don't forget: ask, tell, remove. And follow through with it. But don't hesitate to skip the first two when necessary!

dadman repped this.
  15. chwmy

chwmy Member+

Feb 27, 2010
    I would like to echo what the esteemed Law5 says.

The advice a 45 year old will probably not resonate with the younger crowd, but...

You must not care what a coach or spectator says about you. Not "should not." MUST not.

Whatever it takes. Roll your eyes. Imagine the miscreant to have a massive baby head (seen Waterboy?). The second you feel the heat of anger/frustration/embarrassment, they have won. Don't let them. Do not raise your voice. Do not get mad. Do not argue.

There are tons of good ideas as to how to address these situations, and you have to use what works with your personality. You must address dissent when it undermines your authority or distracts or degrades the game- I am not saying to ignore it. I am saying to not let it bother you.

Bottom line is when you are cool and unemotional, you will continue to make correct, confident, unbiased decisions, no matter how crazy the scene is.

dadman and uniqueconstraint repped this.
  16. Barciur

Barciur Member+

Apr 25, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    Thanks for all the advice. It'll be very helpful in the future.

17. asdf44

asdf44 Member

Jun 19, 2008
    Richmond VA
    The red players foot on the throw in was over the line.

18. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009

Yup, right in fornt of the AR . . . oh, wait, right where the AR would have been if there was one . . . youth referee doing the game solo adn getting #$%$% . . . completely, hopelessly, totally ineexcusable . . .

dadman repped this.
  19. campbed

campbed Member

Oct 13, 2006
    New Hampshire, USA
    I love these kind of comments when there is only one referee. Lol.

What you SHOULD have said is
    Lol.

I use this fairly frequently for players a bit slow on the uptake in the men behaving badly league I do sometimes.
    "Ref, that was [offside, over the goal-line, over the touch-line]!!! OMG!!!"
    Quietly as we run next to each other: "Dude, you are in the wrong league."
    "Huh?"
    "You want perfection on throw-ins and offside, you get that in X league with 3 refs, not here. Adjust."
    "Oh sorry ref...."

dadman repped this.
  20. colins1993

colins1993 Member

Mar 1, 2001
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I reckon the expunged adult has never played an organized sport in his entire life.

Probably consistently got creamed in dodge ball while in grade school too because he over-packed for that also.

aek chicago repped this.
  21. Barciur

Barciur Member+

Apr 25, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    What if there is no league that does that for U10? You're kinda screwed.

22. campbed

campbed Member

Oct 13, 2006
    New Hampshire, USA
    Uh.... no, you are left with a young and learning youth referee, all alone, managing 16 kids( young and learning), 2 adults, biased adult parents/spectators, all without the possibility to be in perfect position to see every single little thing.

dadman repped this.
  23. Barciur

Barciur Member+

Apr 25, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    Story of my life then for the most part..

dadman repped this.
  24. MetroFever

MetroFever Member+

Jun 3, 2001
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    There's no doubt the guy is a redneck, but it doesn't mean this was handled correctly. Had the referee been an adult, we'd all be saying so, but because she's a teenager, we're admiring that she stood up to this guy.

Regardless of the age of the referee, you rarely win when you confront a parent head-on, especially in the era of social media where you end up on YouTube like this teenager. Best thing to do is to go to the coach and to indicate that the parent has been thrown out and must be removed immediately.

For anyone who wants to see a real meltdown, this video is a must-see (apologies if it's been posted here recently):

25. Slaskwroclaw18

Jun 26, 2011
    Philadelphia, PA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes that referee acted inappropriately and this is a serious incident but did anybody else find it funny when the AR apologizes and you see the the "1 minute later" screen and then he just lets it go.