Referee beheaded

Discussion in 'Referee' started by onfirst, Jul 6, 2013.

1. nsa

nsa Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Feb 22, 1999
    Notboston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    brutal all around

2. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Lord have mercy ...

3. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't even know where to go with that. Sounds like something from 14th century Europe.

This is where I want to make a snippy comment about Brazil and South America but I won't because I like posting on this forum. I'll probably stay away from this thread after this because I really can't see anything good coming from it.

dadman and mudhen repped this.
  4. mudhen

mudhen Member

Apr 11, 2012
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
  5. GTReferee

GTReferee Member

Feb 24, 2011
    I am appalled beyond words. These were not men but animals. God have mercy on their souls.

6. nonya

nonya Member

Mar 2, 2006
    That is horrible. My question is what the heck did the referee stab the player with? Did he carry a knife or something with him during the match?

7. nsa

nsa Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Feb 22, 1999
    Notboston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounds like it.

Not the first time we've heard stories of a referee being armed. More than a few reports of refs carrying guns. too. (You never know what those spectators in Leomonster are carrying. ;) )

8. SF19

SF19 Member+

Jun 8, 2013
    Evil. Just evil.

9. MetroFever

MetroFever Member+

Jun 3, 2001
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    When I got to the part of the article about the head being put at midfield, I began to suspect that this might be a hoax.

Too many things don't add up about the events. If this happened on Sunday, why did it finally become a news story 5 days later?

There is a video link that Deadspin claims is the body of the referee where even the arms and legs are severed. People casually carrying around limbs in the video seems a little odd to me or maybe I've been watching way too many crime shows on TV lately.

10. Cevno

Cevno Member+

Aug 27, 2005
    Shifting.
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Wtf ?

That is brutal and incredibly ridiculous.

11. RedStar91

RedStar91 Member+

Sep 7, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    This really isn't a soccer story in my opinion. Sure a referee got beheaded and it was a result of what happened on the pitch, but this more of a microcosm of South American culture. There are stories like this all the time in South/Latin America and it's not involving referees.

I don't know how many of you guys have been to Brazil or Venezuela or Mexico or Colombia, but those are dangerous places. Very violent and very dangerous.

The fact that the referee felt the need to arm himself before the game tells you all you need to know.

msilverstein47 repped this.
  12. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that it's way too many facts and names here for a hoax...

Published: 03/07/2013 14:44
    An investigation, coordinated by the Regional Delegate of Santa Ines, Valter Costa, resulted in the identification of the perpetrators of the homicide occurred on Sunday (30) during a football match in the town center of Half in Pius XII. During the crime, the victim identified as Octavius Jordan had hsi body dismembered. Police arrested Luís de Sousa Moraes, 27,on Tuesday (02) in the town of Conceição de Lago Açu he is one of three people who committed the act.

According to the regional delegate, the suspect was arrested after a research coupled with the testimony of witnesses. "Through the information passed on by those who witnessed the fact identify all involved and we hold the first of them," he said.

Besides Luis Moraes, the delegate Valter said two other people have been identified for participation in the crime. Teams remain in police investigations in order to find the other two suspects. Regional Police of St. Agnes, Luis Moraes was apprehended in the act of murder.

Understand the case
    The two murders occurred on Sunday (30) in the town Centro do Meio, the BR 316, rural municipality of Pius XII during a football match. The motivation of the crime, according to the police investigation, it would have been a discussion between the match referee, Otavio Silva Jordan, 20, and one of the members of one team, identified as Josenir Santos Abreu, 30.

The player, as shown by the case, would have been expelled and dissatisfied with the attitude of the referee have initiated a fight. Josenir Abreu the player was hit with stab wounds in the chest area. He was rescued, but died en route to hospital.

Given the facts, the victim's family and witnesses assaulted and stoned the referee, who succumbed to his injuries and died. His body was then quartered.

13. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    Lots of troublesome occurrences a year from the WC.

14. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    A 20-year-old referee armed with a machete-like knife? Hard to fathom why anyone would want to play the sport at all.

15. GoDawgsGo

GoDawgsGo Member+

Nov 11, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Agreed, but like someone said it's a culture thing not a soccer thing. It probably could have happened to these kinds of people over a game of checkers. This kind of thing happens in Mexico, Africa, and other parts of the world on a daily basis. Most people are just living in their bubble and oblivious to it. Things most of us consider to be universal human rights still don't apply to the majority of the world yet.

msilverstein47 and dadman repped this.
  16. MetroFever

MetroFever Member+

Jun 3, 2001
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    dadman, Lucky Wilbury and Justin Z repped this.