Referee Administrative Handbook invalidated?

Discussion in 'Referee' started by mtn335, Nov 15, 2012.

1. camconcay

camconcay Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Feb 17, 2011
    Georgia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just read the email, I guess with print it is outdated too quickly even printing once a year, electronic versions can be updated instantly so that is why "immediate effect" although the email says:
    so even electronic versions are not valid. So I guess we have to go to the resource center and see if each individual piece is updated - I hope they send notice when anything changes...

2. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009

hmm . . . is this what is about to happen to the ATR also? They did not come out with a new edition this past summer, and I recall rumblings that it would not continue in its current form . . . I know a few on here would be absolutely horrified if the sacred text took a dramatic turn ;). (Personally, I'm hoping they freshen and re-imagine parts of the ATR but keep it as a useful resournce.)

IllinoisRef and OMGFigo repped this.
  3. OMGFigo

OMGFigo Member

Jun 19, 2006
    SoCal
    The folders with PDFs of all the position papers and directives are not a 1-1 replacement for the ATR. I wonder if USSF has gone off the rails a little bit. The ATR is the primary controlling interpretive authorityfor US Soccer. Now we don't have it. It makes no sense.

4. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    Maybe they want you to use FIFA's I&G.

5. Thezzaruz

Thezzaruz Member+

Jun 20, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    That would just be soooo hilarious. :D

6. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    ?? I know there was a question about the ATR going away (or being in a different form), but I'm not aware that it has gone away . . . did I miss something?

7. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Well, strangely enough, the version of the LOTG currently on the USSF website is the FIFA version that includes the I&G. That was not previously the case, was it?

8. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    They previously had both a version with the I&G and the USSF print version without the I&G on different parts of the website.

9. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
  10. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    Is it no longer amongst the downloads?

11. Eastshire

Eastshire Member+

Apr 13, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    The ATR dated Aug 8, 2012 is still available for download here. That's the new place on ussoccer.com that's incredibly buried and hard to find.

12. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    unlike everything else on that website? :whistling:

13. Law5

Law5 Member+

Mar 24, 2005
    Beaverton OR
    Ryan Mooney's vision is of a single document with the Laws of the Game, I & G and ATR all there, Law by Law. I think it is a great concept, long overdue and I am eager to see it. I will assume that the creation of such a document is the reason that ATR has not been updated. It is still valid in the United States, not including Guam and Puerto Rico, even if a bit hard to find, which is not the Referee Department's fault.

14. techguy9707

techguy9707 Member

Nov 23, 2011
    Antelope, CA
    I am only guessing here but it appears the USSoccer is using box.com as a place to manage the files. I got to the downloads folder in four clicks from the main home page. Home Page/Referees/Resource Center/Downloads/Books. It looks like part of may be that box.com allows you to view the PDF file without downloading it or having a PDF reader. It does not allow you to read it online using Android.

15. Eastshire

Eastshire Member+

Apr 13, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    You are correct in all of this. Four clicks is buried on a modern website, particularly since there is no instructions or directions on the referee page and the second click is on "Downloads" rather than "Refereeing" which is where I, for one, started looking for it. I also find the Books folder to be a counter-intuitive folder for the ATR to be in.

16. techguy9707

techguy9707 Member

Nov 23, 2011
    Antelope, CA
    I wasn't bothered by it being four clicks; I was bothered by the fact that the LOTG and such were in the "Books" category... which technically they can be considered. It just was not as intuitive as I would prefer.

But I don't know what I would call the category t provide be better answer but allow other "books" to be placed alongside. I do think a "Spanish" folder inside the Book folder might be a nice addition to make it easier.

17. Paper.St.Soap.Closed

Jul 29, 2010
    I agree with everyone that the website isn't the most clearly organized one I have stumbled across. However, this is nothing new as there are a lot of poorly designed websites out there.

Solution?

Learn how to search. Forget links! Go to Google. Site:ussoccer.com and then search your heart away. I find it much easier when locating items.

18. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Silly me. I used the search box on the USSF site itself to search on "Advice to Referees." No wonder I didn't find it. :rolleyes:

19. techguy9707

techguy9707 Member

Nov 23, 2011
    Antelope, CA
    Amazing. I tried it myself to see what I got and I got 5+ pages of other stuff and one link to a 2001 comment. It tells you need to buy it or you can download the PDF via a link ...the link is dead.

20. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    if you google it, you can still get to the old "zone 1," which still has a direct link to the pdf

http://www.ussoccer.com/referees/resource-center-deactivated/zone-1.aspx

21. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    That's the "deactivated zone" I referred to upthread. And that one is the 2011 version - AFAIK there is no 2012 version. Right?

22. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    Correct. As I understand it, the 2012 was the last ATR in that form, with a new web-based form anticipated. (Jim Allen will also no longer be the lead editor.)

23. Eastshire

Eastshire Member+

Apr 13, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    There is a 2012 version, edited 8 August 2012 available in the book section of the downloads.

24. Scrabbleship

Scrabbleship Member

May 24, 2012
    Like the rest of the football world? No, that doesn't make sense at all.

nsa repped this.