Red Bulls in the 2012 Playoffs thread

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by tigersoccer2005, Oct 28, 2012.

1. jeremydneezy

jeremydneezy Member

Dec 12, 2011
    Greenville, SC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First off I would like to say that all of you guys in NY/NJ are in my thoughts and prayers. I hope everyone is safe.
    I agree completely with the ENFORCER.
    [​IMG]
    Soccer formations made easy with this11.com

I've been pleased with Robles, he just seems far more calm and decisive than Gaudette to me. The back four have been playing well but I still fear them being undressed by pacey players.
    As much as I would love for McCarty to go back to the CDM role, he does aid our high-pressing game far more from his position further up the field. Tainio seems to be getting his legs under him and he is a class player when fit. I still feel like his injury last year doomed the team.
    I'm also worried about Lindpere. He has regressed so much this year. I'm not sure if it's a case of a new contract and the corresponding creature comfort eroding hunger or if he has reached that point of no return in his career. His work rate has always been his best attribute but that has slipped immeasurably to my eyes.
    Henry, Cooper and Cahill are starting to develop some nice chemistry in the box.
    RBNY needs to enter Saturday's game focused and hungry. Get an early goal and let the scum have to chase the game.

2. GMangs

GMangs Red Card

Apr 21, 2012
    NJ
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Game still on for Sat? Read something that they might move the first game to DC cause of power issues.

3. Rooney20

Rooney20 Member+

Jan 8, 2007
    New York
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hmm haven't heard that at all...do you have a link?

4. GMangs

GMangs Red Card

Apr 21, 2012
    NJ
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Washington post I believe. How is transportation? Is transit running? Heard the PATH os down for a week.

5. iced1776

iced1776 Member+

Dec 4, 2009
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
  6. GMangs

GMangs Red Card

Apr 21, 2012
    NJ
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Game Saturday in DC at 8. From RB twiter.

7. iced1776

iced1776 Member+

Dec 4, 2009
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Houston looks to have the wildcard game (also known as the arbitrary game where the 5th place team has a chance to enter the playoffs) wrapped up, which I think is good for us. We match up far better against them than against Chicago, who has exploited our slow backline time after time this season.

8. defendyourself

Jul 13, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Plus Houston is much more likely to go in to SKC and grind out a result with their experience.

9. iced1776

iced1776 Member+

Dec 4, 2009
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    I do not fear an Espinoza-less KC, but he's figured to be healthy by the next round right?

10. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone have info on a supporters bus/tickets to DC?

11. tigersoccer2005

tigersoccer2005 Member+

Dec 1, 2003
    North Bergen, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really dont know/ dont understand what is going with this team. I am very worried about the lack of fighting spirit/ lack of killer instinct we showed in last night's first leg. It was a playoff game and those guys were showing as much a pep, enthusiasm, and intensity as moss growing on rocks.... It was really shameful to see. What is even more worrying is the lack of offensive punch and inability to retain possession that the team showed last night. We were not able to take advantage of DC being down 1 man. The game was virtually served on a tray to us and we didn't take it--most disappointing. This tie has the sour taste of failure waiting to happen all over it.....

Rafa Marquez yelling at Backe at halftime and then his subsequent benching due to "calf tightness" is yet another worrying factor--is that really an injury or is this team melting down before our eyes?
    Backe's inexplicable decisions of starting LeToux when the man has shown zero all year, of subbing in Miller of all people (who consequently gave up the own goal) and his decision of keeping Lade in the game with a yellow and a penalty conceded is yet another headscratcher in a very long list of baffling Backe decisions this year.

Hopefully this team will wake up on Wednesday night....

12. cfbest04

cfbest04 New Member

Oct 18, 2011
    NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Personally, I think Backe has broken their spirit or at least did for this game. I mean imagine as a team being told that your leading scorer who just won MLS player of the week will not start. And the reason he won't start is that the coach wants to start a guy who has done nothing at all this season that has helped the team. It is not an excuse because they are professionals, but I can completely see it happening. Then the coach keeps in a rookie who has yellow card and caused your team have to deal with a PK. Then on top of that, the coach puts in the worst player on the team who scores a goal on his own team.

I'm a big fan of Lade, but I was frustrated with him yesterday and felt he should have been pulled. I can't stand Marquez but he was playing fine yesterday and is much better then Miller. To sit him and sub in Miller is insane, and the fake calf excuse is pathetic. Unless he physically assaulted Backe, he should have stayed in the game and Backe should have dealt with his arguing the next day. It is almost like Backe wanted to give LaToux a chance to show off so he can get that contract with Philly that is rumored to be happening.

13. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Houston just beat KC like a red headed step child.

Just more evidence that regular season form doesn't matter in the playoffs.

14. iced1776

iced1776 Member+

Dec 4, 2009
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    I was trying to decide if Houston had just stepped up their game or if KC was just playing poorly, and unfortunately for us it seemed to be the former. Our guys need to sharpen up if we're gonna compete in the next round.

cfbest04 repped this.
  15. tigersoccer2005

tigersoccer2005 Member+

Dec 1, 2003
    North Bergen, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is just so deflating to see Houston beating up on KC---i mean dont get me wrong, kudos to Houston for stepping up their game, but the question comes to mind why were we not able to do the same thing?? At the end of the season when we were jockeying with KC for 1st in the East and still had some hope for SS--why did we crumble, yet Houston, that had to play a wildcard game in the playoffs, found a way?? These questions are very disturbing to me because of what they imply about our team's spirit.

16. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Both. The playoffs are a mini season. Houston is hot right now and KC isn't.

The regular season doesn't really mean much.