Red Bulls have new boss in Austria (De Grandpre demoted)

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by Oatmeal, Jul 29, 2007.

1. Michael K.

Michael K. Member

Mar 3, 1999
    There or Thereabouts
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where?

2. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

They tried fifteen months ago. I'm not impressed by people who put in a good day's work only a few times a year, I don't really care what their circumstances are.

But hey, if that's their attitude, dump the front office. I don't know what they're getting paid for if they admit not getting up to go to work.

3. njzorrooo

njzorrooo Member

Dec 21, 2005
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    From the Red Bull website:
    Did this not take place? I was assuming it did.

Even if it didn't, I think their commitment to bring in Bruce Arena, 2 DPs, and building RB Park speaks volumes about their intentions.

4. Michael K.

Michael K. Member

Mar 3, 1999
    There or Thereabouts
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have never been out to Montclair State to see with my own eyes, but I'll wager that "substantial renovation" consisted of freshening up what was already there - not least because the plan was only to be there for a year or something. I wouldn't call that "building" a practice facility.

RB has declared its commitment to building a stadium in Harrison. I would likewise like to declare my commitment to sleeping with Charlize Theron tonight. This speaks volumes about our respective intentions - but nothing very substantial about our progress.

5. njzorrooo

njzorrooo Member

Dec 21, 2005
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    The stadium is under construction. It's more than just a fantasy.

6. Michael K.

Michael K. Member

Mar 3, 1999
    There or Thereabouts
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sure, technically. But their "intentions" move along only a bit faster than fantasies, and so I can't see how anyone can be inclined to put a lot of faith in them.

7. Oatmeal

Oatmeal Member

Dec 2, 2006
    This club is starting to piss me off. This makes three stories/ announcements from a combination of club and press that have gone sour. Ugh such a pain.

8. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

1) Stadium buyout
    2) MDG demotion
    3) ???

9. Blue Note

Blue Note New Member

Nov 17, 2003
    Pawling, New York
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just guessing - training ground?

10. proxyone

proxyone New Member

Apr 25, 2007
    Los Angeles
    I have to call bs on that (in both senses, big soccer mentality and bull sh*t)

take a look at the KC wizards attendance. Doesn't match their rankings and performance.

Part of what marketing does is help make the team matter to the community. You root for a team because it's your team. NYRB are clearly not doing that.

The team is not crap, it's competing better than it has for a while. It's still got problems and will as long as Arena's coatching it. not to besmirch his UNSMNT record, but it's increasingly looking like Arena knows how to pull an underachiever team into a competitive position, but not how to take it to the next level and unearth that killer instinct.

Still, fans of all sports everywhere show up and support their team in good times and bad. Fans that will only show up if NYRB are winning every game aren't fans, and quite frankly, no such group is out their wating in the wings to come to the games.

Therefore, it comes back to marketing, and bringing the team to the hearts of the fans like the Yankees or Mets. A team that is a part of the community and that they show up to support and help them win the tough ones, to be the twelfth man out there on any given day. Look at the fans at BMO up north or fans in Europe (or even Boston in MLB for christs sakes).

And quit with this "build a winning team and they will come" nonsense. Quality product is only half of it. MLS in general needs to learn how to market soccer as a sport to care about, not just a novelty or amateur-type thing.

11. Oatmeal

Oatmeal Member

Dec 2, 2006
    the training ground was the third I was referring to.

How about another embarassment?

The hiring and then firing of the youth director to replace Gio.

I dont have as much of a problem with firing Gio as alot of other people do, but the hiring process for the open with having a guy lie on his resmue is a ********ing joke.

This club needs to step up, because it is being outclassed in a league where it should not.

12. Your schtick is so played out here. Go play in the NY expansion forum and dream about your fictional team in Queens.

13. Michael K.

Michael K. Member

Mar 3, 1999
    There or Thereabouts
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What the F are you talking about?

14. DoctorK

DoctorK New Member

Jan 8, 2002
    NorthBank, Riverbend
    No, you can't, as you're far too bitter over the name change. Had you any interaction whatsoever with RBFO as a supporter of this club then you might speak with some authority on this topic. You have no clue how much better the core support is being treated under the current regime.

I see the tremendous changes in the organization as they build an infrastructure that demonstrates a commitment to excellence. You don't because you don't want to see these changes. You've stated numerous times that you want to see RB fail ("sooner the better" I believe you've said) and so it seems that's all you'll let yourself see.

You also seem incapable of recognizing how much of a troll you've become.

15. viper

viper New Member

Jun 7, 2000
    Paramus, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    +1!

16. MetroFever

MetroFever Member+

Jun 3, 2001
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    Back on topic.....

Does a guy who pretty much only accepts e-mail interviews come across to you as someone who actually had any serious input on player personnel? deGrandpre wouldn't know who Giovanni Savarese was even if he fell on his lap.

17. triplet1

triplet1 BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 25, 2006
    For whatever reason, RB is something of an easy target, and I'm not sure why. There record isn't bad: They went out and got historically the most successful coach in MLS, they rebuilt the roster and spent money on not one but two designated players, they are building a beautiful new stadium and practice facility that will be the envy of MLS. That's a lot of work in a short period of time.

They have made mistakes, certainly, but they are making a huge investment in New York and MLS based on very scanty attendance numbers because they clearly have enormous faith in this market.

It's too bad more people don't have faith in them.

18. SlowFox

SlowFox Member

Aug 16, 1999
    Well said, I couldn't agree more.

Maybe their decisions won't translate into success on the field but what else do you want them to do? Ex ante their moves were VERY reasonable, even generous (they didn't HAVE to give all that money to Arena). As I said before, I would have preferred they took that money and spent it on Kevin Payne, but I'm an amateur.

AT LEAST let's give them a bit of time.

=NLK=

19. DoctorK

DoctorK New Member

Jan 8, 2002
    NorthBank, Riverbend
    Are you referring to Höfl or de Grandpre in terms of e-mail interviews? Marc has done personal interviews and is by far the most accessible and fan-friendly GM we've ever had. Charlie was/is a nice guy who made numerous major errors we're still paying for, Nick was/is Nick (nuff said), and Lalas would answer your email with 1,000 words of condenscension all the while doing just what AEG dictated. Alexi can be charming but can also be smug.

Marc de Grandpre is always there meeting with the supporters after every home match (when he's in the country).

The short answer to your point is no, of course de Grandpre wouldn't. And that's not his end of the business. No, that's Arena's. I have no idea why anyone would blame de Grandpre for the firing of Gio. It was a big mistake, though the academy program is still moving along beautifully in the wake of his departure. But the mistake surely was Agoos's. I've never ever heard why/how de Grandpre was responsible for the firing of Gio or for any personnel moves. I sincerely doubt Arena would allow such a thing.

The comment by Michael Lewis (whom I trust more than any other local soccer journo) yesterday about de Grandpre somehow being culpable for Gio's departure strikes me as an irresponsible dig out of journalistic frustration.

From what myself and a few other supporters heard from execs there was a lot of irresponsible journalism last week (apparently fueled very much by these boards).

I think RBFO's policy on issuing statements only when deals are done to be very professional. They don't give us the announcement in 90 days schtick. No, they just make an announcement when/if appropriate. We should appreciate that professionalism.

20. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

Why should I have faith in a bunch of screwups in one department, and a bunch of sloths in another department? This isn't kindergarten. I give praise when positive results are produced, not before.

To "appreciate" their "huge investment" or "professionalism" just sets really low standards for an ownership that was supposed to bring this team to a higher level and show the rest of the league the right way to run a team. I've had enough with low standards, how about you?

21. DoctorK

DoctorK New Member

Jan 8, 2002
    NorthBank, Riverbend
    Roehl,

Would you be more specific? Do you not see the massive improvements at the Club over the past year???

:confused:

22. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

No.

I see a team that is in good shape to make the playoffs, but that is not a "massive improvement" commensurate with the expectations.

I'm not going to repeat myself on specifics. Go back and read the thread.

23. DoctorK

DoctorK New Member

Jan 8, 2002
    NorthBank, Riverbend
    You do the same. The improvements to the infrastructure are mentioned in detail.

Are you talking on the field or off? You're making wild statements, calling people "screwups" and "sloths" but its unclear who or what you're upset with.

You can't expect, given the balance of MLS, for Arena to lead the team to an undefeated record. The East is intensely competitive this year, and we are in the pack.

As for off the field, RBFO has set up an interim training facility so they don't get bounced around by the whims of the Giants and NJSEA, have made massive strides in the building of our own stadium, and done a very good job of appeasing the core support.

Yes, I've had enough of low standards. And that's why I'm glad we're rid of AEG (and still hope they will sell their 50% of RBP to RB). What I've seen in the little over one year of RBFO is a much higher level of quality in all aspects of the organization.

24. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

Core support, is that even true? I haven't noticed anything different than when this team was operating under past regimes.

And I know this will be an unpopular question because they removed the stage and that makes everything better, but AEG got the ball rolling on the stadium, who's to say that they would have made at least as much progress as Red Bull? RB doesn't seem very interested in what's going on off the field. Their marketing is close to nothing and instead of trying to connect with the community, the excuse is that the team isn't quality enough. Frankly, there are minor-league baseball teams in this area (the Cyclones and SI Yanks quickly come to mind) that have greater presence than RBNY. Surely they're not winning any World Series titles anytime soon.

As for what's on the field, I was never a fan of Reyna, and I didn't understand acquiring Arena. What did we give away Dunivant for? VDB is looking to be a big disappointment. Whoever's handling personnel in the FO sure doesn't know what they're doing.

But you're right. At least they're doing something, unlike whatever's going on to make this team exist in the public consciousness. All I see is a lack of motivation to do anything from that side of the team's organization.

Now, you be specific. Which part of what I've said is either "wild" or inaccurate?

25. Blue Note

Blue Note New Member

Nov 17, 2003
    Pawling, New York
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was thinking the same thing myself yesterday when I heard a Cyclones ad on one of the sport talk radio channels. Non-soccer fans could be excused for assuming that the area does not have an MLS club.