Reasons why ARing sucks

Discussion in 'Referee' started by Errol V, Oct 2, 2013.

1. soccerman771

soccerman771 Member

Jul 16, 2011
    Dallas, Texas area
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did not know this. Learn something new everyday.

2. blueboy

blueboy Member

Oct 26, 2000

Not a requirement, but only good sportsmanship by the home team and the referee

3. Yale

Yale Member

Nov 26, 2012
    Particularly with the younger kids, I usually offer to let the home team captain actually flip the coin. For some reason, they rarely take me up on it…

4. Chas (Psyatika)

Oct 6, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Crystal Palace FC
    But why would you need to tell them? If you're asking them to call the toss, then they know they're the visiting team! (Or in those tournaments where home always kicks off, just tell them who's kicking off!)

Unless, of course, the "home" crowd needs to be informed about which team to boo.

5. Rufusabc

Rufusabc Member+

May 27, 2004

What are you persisting with this? Let it go. It takes a second.

6. Law5

Law5 Member+

Mar 24, 2005
    Beaverton OR
    I didn't think they used the 3 whistle system in Georgia......

My favorite coin toss story is a pro game for which I was 4th. We're doing the coin toss under the stands before the teams line up behind us to walk out. The referee (now in MLS) tosses the coin and it, somehow, hits him in the neck and slides down the inside of his shirt. The captains are laughing and he's trying to figure out how to get the coin out from where it is inside, if you know what i mean, without taking his shorts off. I, cool as a cucumber, said, "Here," handed him my coin and we tossed again. Once the captains went back to their locker rooms, he got the coin out of that place. :)

dadman repped this.
  7. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    So. . . . is this in this particular thread because he gave you the wrong coin back? :ROFLMAO:

That Cherokee, Law5 and dadman repped this.
  8. MOREFFIN

MOREFFIN Member

Sep 5, 2008
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    AR has gotten me involved in some fantastic opportunities that I would never get a look as CR.

Of course there are some drag games but those games also drag in the middle as well.

It's ok by me.

Scrabbleship and dadman repped this.
  9. asdf44

asdf44 Member

Jun 19, 2008
    Richmond VA
    Tournament game this morning. Defensive team kicks the ball out of bounds. Clear to everyone. Older ref in the center gives the throw in to the defensive team. I had a throw for offensive team. I had went all the way up with my signal since it was obvious. Coach asks me what I had. I tell him the center doesn't have to use me if he doesn't want to. Older ref didn't care. Just out there collecting $ without any effort.

10. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Careful with that ... I've had more than one younger ref lately who apparently didn't care and were just out there collecting $ without any effort.

11. Rufusabc

Rufusabc Member+

May 27, 2004
    What is your definition of an older ref?

12. asdf44

asdf44 Member

Jun 19, 2008
    Richmond VA
    He was like 60-65. Just...didn't care. Would not run. Showed no hustle.

13. tomek75

tomek75 Member+

Aug 13, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I had one of those last night, except he was 25 tops and looked to be physically fit, he just didn't care . On the previous game where I was the CR, in the first half he would barely move and on several occasions I was past him with the play. At halftime I told him to move because these girls knew how to play the offside trap and he made a better effort. This was the first time I considered taking an AR off my game.

14. Rufusabc

Rufusabc Member+

May 27, 2004
    Oh....thank God, I don't want to fall into that older ref category just yet. I'll be 59 next month!!:laugh::laugh:

MOREFFIN, refontherun and dadman repped this.
  15. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
  17. camconcay

camconcay Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Feb 17, 2011
    Georgia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FOUL! He was using reftalk since he relinquished his flag, probably debating YC for the extended arms on the shove before he regained his senses :whistling:

MOREFFIN repped this.
  18. refontherun

refontherun Member+

Jul 14, 2005
    Georgia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm working on 56 in the very near future :eek: I still keep up, though.

dadman repped this.
  19. Law5

Law5 Member+

Mar 24, 2005
    Beaverton OR
    Passed that a long time ago. Did 2,500 M on the Cooper this year. High school, varsity boys dual, long ball is coming my direction, so I and the left back are beating feet to get back. Someone on the bench yells at the defender, "Joey! Try to keep up with the ref!" LOL.

MOREFFIN and MrPerfectNot repped this.
  20. davidjd

davidjd Member+

Jun 30, 2000
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope that was meant as a joke. My number one thing I hate is having to be the next AR for a team who just had an AR who didn't look or act professional. An AR should never be using the flag to block the sun. They should never have their cell phone on them to run their gps. They should never even think about trying to listen to gossip around them or ask parents for scores and should always meet the CR on the field before running to the sideline to get a drink or relieve themselves.

Putting that aside, 20 years ago I was driven INSANE by having to listen to the music on the ice cream truck over and over and over and over and over again as it sat in the parking lot for the entire 4 adult games in 90 degree heat. I still get an urge to kill something every time I hear the Entertainer playing.

Scrabbleship repped this.
  21. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Oh absolutely. On more than one occasion as an AR I have been compelled to wrap my flag around my head to muffle the noise of the ice cream truck. Once I made the mistake of covering my eyes and missed an important offside call; I'll never make that mistake again.

MOREFFIN and dadman repped this.
  22. Dayton Ref

Dayton Ref Member+

May 3, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I once had an AR that I kept thinking was signalling something for me but he was just being bored and fiddling with the flag in weird positions and I noticed it consistently. At least I knew that I was paying attention...

23. Yale

Yale Member

Nov 26, 2012
    Oh jeez… AR on my fourth game of the day, and the entire game the ice cream truck is playing nonstop Christmas music—in the middle of May. I remember literally hearing the tinny sound of “The Little Drummer Boy” in the shower after I got home.

dadman and davidjd repped this.
  24. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Try "Turkey in the Straw."

dadman repped this.
  25. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just turned 51 and work about 8-10 games/week during the fall high school and college season. Every year I lose just about 15 lbs and most years by New Years Day the weight all magically comes back...lol

uniqueconstraint repped this.