Really Rapids?

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by JasonMa, May 14, 2012.

1. tonhtubra

tonhtubra Member+

Jun 8, 2004
    Fort Collins, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After looking at it some more, I realized that my order date was before anyone else. So, I think somehow my order for the end of 2011 ended up on the 2012 sheet, but my 2012 order isn't on their, so for the most part the whole thing is probably pretty accurate. It does make for some fun statistical analysis.

2. tonhtubra

tonhtubra Member+

Jun 8, 2004
    Fort Collins, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    I think the spreadsheet is fairly accurate. While it might not have every last person, Hinchey said there were about 3100 season tickets when he gave the interview to Class VI in late January.

4. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    I wondered if that was a promotional account, or maybe the guy who tried to bring in the high school bands.

5. Soaker888

Soaker888 Member+

Feb 21, 2012
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Anyone get their Swansea tix? Been trying to reach my service rep by phone today...no answer. Wondering if he's tied to this issue today.

6. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I emailed my rep this morning and she called me and ran my credit card for the ticket. $28 for a Class VI ticket.

7. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    I spoke to my rep. Additional tickets seem to be the same price we'd buy additional tickets for any league match.

8. fortcollins

fortcollins Member+

St. Louis City SC
    Apr 12, 2006
    Fort Collins
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The season's not over, yet. The RFO has plenty of time to send more emails.

Wow. Just wow.

9. DaminadaPt2

DaminadaPt2 Member

Mar 19, 2009
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Fire Bravo!!

Seriously though, this is the Rapids.. by far the most dysfunctional team in the league. Can we get another mascot on the field?

10. teddy_montoya

teddy_montoya RapidsThugLife

Nov 9, 2006
    Supporters Terrace
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Its the same information anyone can get with a little work. Nothing to be upset about really. I tell people all the time, if someone wants your information someone will get it. Thats just reality nowadays with technology.

11. Soaker888

Soaker888 Member+

Feb 21, 2012
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    I take the same attitude as you. None of the info. on the spreadsheet really irked me as far as going out to the public is concerned. But the reality is there seems to be no obvious indication that more personal or valuable information could not suffer the same exposure. I assume that most enterprises that use valuable info. like credit card numbers or ss numbers have a more secure system of storage in place that would not allow such a simple and stupid mistake to take place. But with this particular snafu, it makes one wonder is all.

12. Soaker888

Soaker888 Member+

Feb 21, 2012
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Since we are on the subject, do the Rapids make money, or are they generally (as the caption says) a write-off for KSE?

13. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

User agreements with credit card banking companies require massive access resctrictions, the ability to mask all but last 4 of Credit card numbers in all ERP systems and encoding to any stored CC info. I worked on a credit card project for my company a few years ago.

14. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This. I'm currently the Director of QA at a online payment processing company, so I know the regulations that CoMtnGuy refers to. At the same time I see the little care that some of our clients take with the payment info of their customers and after the Rapids move this week I have to wonder if they're really following all of those regulations. Trust me, even releasing the information the Rapids released would be a severe black mark for us and would probably result in increased scrutiny the next time we went through our yearly PCI audit.

15. Hunt998

Hunt998 Member

Feb 17, 2012
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Honestly, the thing that ticked me off the most about the whole situation isn't the initial screw up, as it's the RFO and I've come to expect regular screw ups from them, but the response. When I talked to my STH rep, her response was it wasn't that big of a deal and that these things happen. I've been in a enough customer facing roles to know that when your company (or you) make a mistake you take ownership and apologize for it IMMEDIATELY. Don't try and minimize the mistake or claim that retracting the email solved the problem. That just tends to piss off the customer and extend the life of the issue.

For me, a form email from some exec at KSE just doesn't cut it. It should have come from Hinchey (someone most Rapids fans are familiar with) and it should have been short and sweet. Something along the lines of "we screwed up, we're sorry, and we will be better in the future."

This whole episode kind of clears up why we only have 3,100 STH's doesn't it?

16. DavidJames

DavidJames Member+

May 11, 2003
    Longmont
    Nonsense. A response coming from Hinchey would have been of significant less value then from an executive within Kroenke parent organization. Also, it was hardly a form letter, sure it did contain boilerplate language approved by legal, it had to, welcome to the business world where lawyers need to manage communication like this.

A response as you requested would be amateurish and ripped apart (correctly) by most.

This is a screw up, a bad one but as stated earlier, nothing was released that couldn't be obtained by most anyone in 30 seconds from Google.

Soaker888 repped this.
  17. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed on who the email came from. Getting the CMO of KSE to /write/approve/sign/whatever the email shows that KSE as a whole and not just the Rapids realized that this was a major screwup, which was a positive sign.

That said, the "send the email with attachment, send a retraction (which doesn't work in 90% of cases), then resend the email without the attachment and no acknowledgement of the screwup" was a poor initial response to the mistake.

18. Quinn 33

Quinn 33 Member+

Apr 25, 2003
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really? In a thirty second Google search I can get the first names, last names, multiple phone numbers, and email addresses of 1,500 specific people neatly packaged in an excel spreadsheet?

I agree that the information provided isn't exactly the most sensitive, but I'm pretty sure not everyone is equally comfortable having that information out in the open. Not everyone can actually be found on Google, just like not everyone can be found in the phone book.

19. WJMarx

WJMarx BigSoccer Supporter

May 5, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Clearly, RFO screwed up once again giving further credence to the notion of incompetence most Rapids fans share of this group. While it may contribute to the paucity of STH it does not fully explain the 3100 season tickets sold. Denver is a Broncos town. All other sports are orphans. Currently, soccer generally and MLS specifically remains far down the line for sports fans in Denver. Had Philip Anschutz not been a Denver resident, I doubt that Denver would have an MLS team.

20. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    Really? Is David James your real name? I don't think I could find from google your cell number, number of Rapids tickets (unless that's on your blog), and how much you paid for them. And maybe not your email address either, as even many people with blogs obscure by using a forwarding account.

21. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    Out of curiosity, does a retraction work in any percent of cases when the email recipients are not on the same email system? Even then, does that work on many email systems other than Exchange? E.g., gmail, yahoo?

22. DavidJames

DavidJames Member+

May 11, 2003
    Longmont
    Who gives a shit about how many Rapids tickets I have and how much I owe, seriously, that's keeping your panties bunched? As for my cell and home numbers, yeah, they're all over the Internet. Maybe next time I get calls from political or radio pollsters, credit card scam companies, security system companies, sweepstakes companies, etc. etc. etc., I'll ask them and let you know. Same for email address.

You'd think I'd know better then getting in the middle of a yet another BS rant about the RFO. :rolleyes:

23. Soaker888

Soaker888 Member+

Feb 21, 2012
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Oooo. Which leads to a greater question, again, regarding attendance at Rapids games. I too think that the RFO has little to do with soccer attendance at DSP, and your assertion about this being "Broncos" territory is appropriate. I am new here to the forum and only a couple of years into futbol fandom, so I am not privy to the extended conversations about Rapids support in Denver. I am thinking that soccer popularity in the US is going to continue to rise and fans in the Denver area will become more numerous over time......blah blah, oh forget it. I'll collect thoughts and start another thread, though this topic may be a dead horse already.

COMtnGuy repped this.
  24. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't buy the argument that people don't attend becuase we have a football team here, how do you explain Seattle then? I think there are many reasons that all add up to our lower attendance but Broncos would not even be on my list.

25. Hunt998

Hunt998 Member

Feb 17, 2012
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Actually, I am in the business world, and almost every correspondence I send out is reviewed by our legal department. So I can say with some authority that they wouldn't reject a letter admitting fault, apologizing, and promising to do better. I believe you read my suggested comments literally, which is not how they were intended, but next time I'll have internal legal review my comment before I post on Big Soccer. I guess that's what you're looking for.

I completely disagree with your opinion on Hinchey. No name executives in large organizations (KSE) are a dime a dozen. Hinchey actually has a relationship and a vested interest in that relationship with season ticket holders. Also, good luck finding a complete list of all Rapids season ticket holders via a google search. While the phone number and email address by themselves are relatively harmless, I am sure there are more than a few insurance agents or financial advisors that wouldn't mind paying for what the Rapids released for free.