Reality Check: Ancient Persia = USA, Ancient Greece = Al Qaeda

Discussion in 'History' started by The Älpha Male, Apr 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Älpha Male

The Älpha Male BigSoccer Yellow Card

May 27, 2006
    http://www.spentaproductions.com/300themovie_the_truth_behind_300.htm

PERSIA's 9/11

you brainwashed western fools, enlighten yourselves :D

2. !Bob

!Bob Member

Apr 28, 2005
    UK
    First page! :D

Nice one...not sure how much truth there is, but sounds about right from where I'm standing!

3. quentinc

quentinc New Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Annapolis, MD
    Does anyone actually think Sparta was democratic?

4. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    That IS cute! But the US is far more like Rome than it is like Persia, and the war on terror bears absolutely no resemblance to the greek vs. persian wars.
    As for some of the above notions about history............they're quaintly isnane. Lets just leave it at that.
    P.S. Props to the author for calling Sardis a "Persian" city (it was a city in western Asia Minor that Cyrus had conquered from the Lydians) while keeping a straight face.

5. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Wait, you actually equate "America" c. 1850 with "the West"? The US in 1850 was a provincial outpost at best, hardly a trend-setter. If American scholars embraced Herodotus (whatever that means), no one would've noticed.

And I don't recall ever being assigned anything by Herodotus in school, either. He's not really central to creating the American ideology.

6. The Älpha Male

The Älpha Male BigSoccer Yellow Card

May 27, 2006
    Rome was based on Persia and Greece itself. As for the above notions about history being insane, I agree. They were taken from an insane man (Herodotus) after all. About Sardis, just like you said it was conquered by Cyrus from the Lydians hence making it a Persian city at the time the Greeks attacked it...

7. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    In the same way that vampire legends are based on Aztec folklore, absolutely.

Same way Baghdad is an American city, I agree.

8. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The saddest part of this argument is the recent news article on the Iranian dam which would flood ancient Persian monuments.

Iranian dam to threaten ancient sites

9. christopher d

christopher d New Member

Jun 11, 2002
    Weehawken, NJ
    Don't often find this kind of rampant silliness in this forum. Nor should we.

[​IMG]