News: Real Salt Lake to face Deportivo Saprissa on July 23

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by Deuce, Jun 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. beaveman

beaveman New Member

Feb 12, 2007
    Mapleton, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yura exited quickly? What? After he got the card, he went over to yell and scream at one of the side officials (maybe the 4th official). Kept telling the guy he needed to keep his eyes open/watch what was happening. I think that official was the one responsible for assigning blame on Yura for the red. Yura kept yelling as he slowly walked down the sideline, until he got in front of the RSL bench. Then Garth pretty much just told him to quiet down and head to the locker room.

By the way, why wasn't Kreis on the bench tonight?

2. beaveman

beaveman New Member

Feb 12, 2007
    Mapleton, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really think RSL needs to start looking at more of their international friendlies in this way. Last night's match was a "fireworks" match, and yet only about 12k supposedly showed up in attendance. I've skipped out on other friendlies in the past becasue I was not too interested in watching the reserves or a mix of starters and reserves who are not used to playing with each other. Last night, I was in a bit of a time crunch and did not feel the need to rush to the stadium, so I ended up arriving about 30 min into the match. If RSL does not feel the need to put their best product on the field for at least the first 45 minutes, and then use the remainder of the match to tinker with lineups/get reserves experience, many fans will not feel the need/desire to attend these friendlies.

3. blitzzfan

blitzzfan Member

Jul 25, 2000
    St. George, UT
    I can't imagine that RSL is making much money on these exhibitions.

I doubt they are making any new fans.

Paying full price for a training exercise is annoying.

Paying double price (using 2 tix) for Santos is even worse.

Using a "guest player" (Adam Acosta) in match is a clear signal that it's a throw-away game.

When will RSL stop kidding themselves about the importance of these matches?

4. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You know the keeper is our number 3 keeper, right?

5. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is there a CR or Saprissa board on BS? I looked, but did not find.

6. RSLEast

RSLEast Member

Jan 26, 2008
    East?
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Was it his turn to watch Jason's stupid cry kids?;)

7. Dickov Del Horno

Dickov Del Horno New Member

Feb 23, 2008
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    True... sorry, I was typing stuff prior to that and not looking up. It just struck me as strange to see Yura run from the bench to the locker room once he stopped screaming. It's rare to see any player run to the locker room after an ejection. He was probably running from the wrath of Garth. :D

8. TapocoL

TapocoL Member

Feb 7, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess you guys did not see this. Movsisyan complained for a while with the 4th official, then when he started to head to the locker room, he hurry up and jumped over the ads to get off the field. But, Movsisyan was not finished with the Saprissa player thrown out. He walked right passed the locker room, and started heading to meet the Saprissa player at their locker room (The East side started cheering when they saw this). But, one of RSL's trainers had booked it over there and caught Yura before he got to the Saprissa player.

9. Cristian Bolaños

Cristian Bolaños New Member

Jan 3, 2006
    Costa Rica
    Do you guys know were I can find a video recap of the match?

10. Saprissa1990

Saprissa1990 Red Card

Jul 15, 2008
    In your mom...
    Disgraceful.

Where do they get these animals from?

11. RSL1

RSL1 New Member

Jul 31, 2007

Yes, Saprissa should tell us about sportsmanship. Perhaps our fans should have pelted the players with hundreds of beer bottles like the Saprissa fans do to visiting teams.

12. Arelius

Arelius Member

Mar 23, 2004
    RSL HEAD COACH JASON KREIS

On his team’s defensive performance:

“I think we did, in the first half, what we have been doing for several weeks now. We were a compact unit, we were defending together, and everything was pretty clean in the first half. In the second half we made a tactical change, we changed our formation, and I think that caused us some problems.”

On the team’s overall performance in its second friendly of the month:

“I think overall it was a better game for us [compared to the other friendly game vs. Santos]. I thought we created a lot more than we did in that match, and some of the younger players had a better game tonight than they did against Santos. There were some good signs out there.”

On new acquisition Robbie Russell:

“He’s athletic, he’s a versatile player, and he’s experienced. We’re very pleased to be bringing back another American player that now has international experience. Robbie can play several positions; we’re not exactly sure which one we’ll put him into.”

RSL MF KYLE BECKERMAN

Overall thoughts on the friendly:

“The game got pretty heated out there, and that’s something you don’t want to see in a friendly like that. But it’s tough, you play a good international team who plays in the heat, they play on turf, and they pass the ball really well, so it’s going to be a tough game for us. When you go with a line-up like we did, you just try and get a good training session out of it.”

On playing in a modified line-up:

“I thought everybody worked hard, and we played the best we could. They were a better passing team than we were. In the first half, their formation seemed to rattle us a bit. We had some good things at times, but they were a good team that plays good soccer.”

13. beaveman

beaveman New Member

Feb 12, 2007
    Mapleton, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have one gripe about Yura in this match. Once again, he seemed to have a shoot first and thats all mentality, as opposed to shoot first/pass second or whatever. Yes, we complain when our players don't take shots soon enough but last night it seemed like every time Yura touched the ball, he would run head on at the opposing team and take the shots, even when he had wide open teammates on both sides of him who might have easier opportunities on goal. I could count at least 3 teams that Yura did this last night and each time I was screaming for him to pass to a wide open Nunez or Espindola.

14. phills

phills Member

Nov 24, 1999
    You have only just seen that display from yura during this game? He has done this every game. Players are always open and he just won't pass or doesn't look up to see them.

15. Cristian Bolaños

Cristian Bolaños New Member

Jan 3, 2006
    Costa Rica
    My friend, what you say is impossible, in Costa Rica it is prohibited by law the sale of alcoholic beverages including beer in sporting events. What you say is a lie!! Get informed.

16. beaveman

beaveman New Member

Feb 12, 2007
    Mapleton, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, I've noticed that in the past as well. But it seemed exceptionally blatant last night...

17. neophyte

neophyte Member

Sep 15, 2004
    Salt Lake City
    I thought Dustin Kirby had a pretty good game. Our best attacks at the end of the game were coming from Kirby and Wingert, one of which led to a goal. I don't think Kirby is someone we should cut loose if we need another roster spot. Yura, on the other hand..... We were all puzzled why he won't pull the trigger inside the 18, but is more than happy to do so at 25 yards. He had good chances to score that he blew, and good chances to pass that he blew. He did pressure well in midfield and make some nice steals and runs. It's just the final third that is lacking, despite some improvement. And he may be someone like an Atiba that other teams would want. By the way,I've noticed that the Atiba lovefest for Chivas USA has cooled off considerably lately.

18. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake

Yura has a total of 0, yes 0 assists in his MLS career.

I like Yura and what he brings with his size and skills but if he would just look up and learn to pass he could be a very good if not great player for RSL.

He needs to decide when he wants to become more of a team first player.

19. Deuce

Deuce Member

Nov 16, 2004
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Technically you are correct... but if you count MLS Reserve matches in his "MLS Career" Then that is an incorrect statement.

In the Reserve Match earlier this season against Houston Dynamo, Yura had a hat trick and 2 assists in a 5 goal outing.

He was involved in all 5 goals.

So he has much potential...

20. phills

phills Member

Nov 24, 1999
    Look at your post... RESERVE games..I want to see potential in a mls game where he might have at least one assist etc. Then I might say he has potential but not in reserve games. If that is the level he is, we should waive him and let him go to the usl league. But I fault the coaching staff also. If they look at film and see that he keeps the ball too long, doesn't pass etc, they should be addressing those things with him so he stops doing them . Instead he continues to do the things that hamper his "potential"

21. RSL Donk

RSL Donk BigSoccer Yellow Card

Aug 24, 2006
    Utah
    Club:
    Glasgow Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    If MLS is the equivalent of a European pub league (which it is), where does that put the reserve league?

22. Deuce

Deuce Member

Nov 16, 2004
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Well you are all bitching about his play in a match that amounted to nothing more than a reserve game...
    If not in Reserve games where would you have him develop his "potential"?
    If we waived everyone that was not first team ready or that has potential and/or sent them to the USL then where would we be in the Reserve Division?

Yura is not a first teamer so why are people so quick to want to waive him? he is right where he needs to be, so that he can develop his potential.

23. TheGoldenBoot

TheGoldenBoot Member

Nov 20, 2007
    Ogden, Ut
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Excellent points Deuce. In my book, Yura has a ton of potential and huge desire to score goals. Many of his mistake are due to how hungry he is to get the ball into the back of the net. Personally, I would prefer this type of problem over others. With that said though, I do wish he would hurry up and learn to be more patient at times and in turn be more of a team player. Sometimes taking a rip from 30+ yards is a good thing. It's just not a good thing when other (better) options are available. Once his decision making gets better and he learns to play with his head up more I think he will become a very successful goal scorer in this league. He is still very young, so I say let's be patient and let him develop. I believe he will be worth the wait.

24. phills

phills Member

Nov 24, 1999
    yea playing in reserve games is where he belongs so he shouldn't be in the first 11.. when other forwards aren't producing they go to another team. We got him when he wasn't performing in kansas city.. Now he isn't again with us so lets make a trade somewhere.

25. RSL1

RSL1 New Member

Jul 31, 2007

What about the Atlante game at Saprissa. One of the Atlante players had to be bandaged by being hit by something thrown by out of control fans. Also, look what Wikipedia says about the history of some of Saprissa's fans for violence on and off the field. Lecture us about sportsmanship when you don't have to have riot police at your own stadium.