News: Real Salt Lake to face Deportivo Saprissa on July 23

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by Deuce, Jun 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Saprissa1990

Saprissa1990 Red Card

Jul 15, 2008
    In your mom...
    Apparently, you don't know much of history outside the walls called the US.

If your info is coming off of wikipedia, then I must hand it to you for making me laugh. I am going to put that RSL is the sorriest team ever on wikipedia right now. I am sure you will believe that.

I am not trying to start nothing. The point I am making? Don't take nothing at face value. Players will do anything to screw over a winning team. By no means we are angels but on that occasion, Atlante was just trying to screw us due to some influence from outside forces.

2. blitzzfan

blitzzfan Member

Jul 25, 2000
    St. George, UT
    Deuce, my friend, your argument would be stronger if you were able to cite more than 1 reserve match. Perhaps someone has reserve match stats from the last couple of years that would bolster Yura's resume?

I stood next to you during that second half where Yura launched himself into the starting lineup and I hope you will agree that the backline of Houston was equal to what we could have pulled from the surrounding crowd. Yura's showing v. Santos and Saprissa hold much more weight for me than v. Houston.

Over 40 games in MLS and 0 assists. Not even one on accident. Kevin Novak and Jack Stewart seem to be his equals.

Being hungry to score is something I also have. Now all I lack are the physical skills and mental acumen to get it done. Patience is in a subset of these skills in my mind.

3. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake

When I want to score I do the dishes.

4. As a sign in a pizza place read:
    "No woman has ever shot her husband while he was doing the dishes!"

5. DadOf6

DadOf6 Member

Jul 4, 2005
    Taylorsville, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LOL. My first thought was "Wow, I would never admit that," but now that it is out there for public view...

6. InterPool

InterPool Member

May 28, 2008
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    wonders if Dad of 6 has dishpan hands????

7. kirsoccer

kirsoccer BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 29, 2007
    What you want is irrelevant. He has alot of potential and the coaching staff is very high on both Yura and Tino. They are probably a little better at evaluating talent than you. I also have seen with my own eyes that they address the issues that you are talking about with Yura.

Keep in mind that Yura just turned 21. He's 2 years younger than Tino Nunez. He started playing organized soccer late in life. For a developmental player I think he's doing fine. There is little to no trade value for a player like this (we got him for nothing). If we have to use him in senior games, that is more an indictment of the other forwards on our team than it is of Yura.

Yura does have a nose for the goal. He has decent foot skills. He has a good shot. The club has even used him some in a midfield role (ex. Saprissa match). He does need to improve his decision making, but this comes with time and experience more than anything.

Before you want to toss him aside, you may want to think about what dev. roster players you'll find out there at less than $50K.

8. Cristian Bolaños

Cristian Bolaños New Member

Jan 3, 2006
    Costa Rica
    On that incident what hit the player was a coin, not a beer bottle. One thing is a beer bottle made of glass, and another is a coin. You can kill someone with a bottle, doubt that a coin can do more than cut someone. People can say all sorts of stuff just to justify something, stick to the facts, and when you don't know something it is better stay quiet.

O and a reality check, maybe, if you go to any other country where they play soccer, you will find the same passionate fans (argentina, brazil, italy, england, etc) who throw stuff, stadiums that need riot police, etc. It is part of the game. And for your info, Saprissa has taken measures so other teams stop crying, they have started to use metal detectors and security personnel to do person by person checks. This policy was installed by the time we beat your MLS champion for the Concacaf (Houston). With or without coins will take you any day.

9. Dickov Del Horno

Dickov Del Horno New Member

Feb 23, 2008
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Obviously, as you live in Costa Rica, you're familiar with the matches you see on a consistent basis. However, have you ever really been to any of the matches in any of the other countries you just listed? I've been to a number of matches in England, Ireland, and Scotland and - to be fair - they're actually quite tame. Because there used to be so much violence related to football in those locations, they've really buckled down and made the matches more of a police state with less freedom for the fans.

I've seen images from matches in Italy, Columbia, etc that seem quite chaotic and crazy - but listing top countries for football and then trying to justify violent behavior and throwing things on the pitch as an acceptable outcome for having "passionate fans" really makes me feel like you're buying into stereotypes that many ignorant americans fall for when they know nothing about the game. Being a passionate fan doesn't mean you have to be violent and throw things on the pitch and it doesn't have to be "part of the game."

10. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Being tired of trolls in this thread, I hereby close it despite some other, ongoing interesting discussion.