Real Salt Lake signs midfielder Robbie Russell; What Next?

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by Arelius, Jul 23, 2008.

1. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So Garth made it pretty clear he does not want to get a big ego DP player (thank god).
    Then who do we pick up?

2. Cerebus

Cerebus New Member

Mar 7, 2008
    For all the talk about a new forward, I would much rather see an attacking winger type.

This team needs better wide service AND an ability to break past a defender into the box from the wide position. Our mids and backs get forward ok but the wide attack seems to fizzle out or we get a corner/average cross at best. A (very) poor man's Messi would be what I'd be looking for.

I honestly believe Deuchar, Findley and Espindola are decent enough strikers--they need good service though as many have pointed out. I'd actually like to see all three on the field with Espindola wide once in a while until we get a true attacking winger.

(Side note: Deuchar may not be putting it in the net, but we sure seem more dangerous when he is on the field.)

3. ryno007

ryno007 New Member

Jul 16, 2008
    Draper, UT, USA
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chris Wingert's crosses into the box definitely seem to be getting stronger and more accurate...and I don't just say that because of his assist to Olave. He seemed to really be whipping the ball in there on Monday night, which is a step up from the "floaters" I've seen in the past. Now, if only we could get that sort of production and pace coming from our wide mid's instead of our defense that has to track back all the time...

4. stucknutah

stucknutah Member+

Feb 14, 2002
    In the Office
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    We may have the pieces already. RR showed quite a bit of pace up the right side...combined with Andy's habit of sliding central, that should create a nice channel for a wide attack.

On the left, if Espindola gets healthy, he tends to play as wing/forward more than a withdrawn forward. Unfortunately, we haven't seen much of him due to injuries, but his ability to win the end line and cross is solid. With Wingert behind him whipping in early service, the Dr. should see more of the ball in the area.

5. beaveman

beaveman New Member

Feb 12, 2007
    Mapleton, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ummm, thats not an outright denial. "I'm not sure that's the right move at this time" doesn't exactly slam the door shut on the issue...

6. I_Believe_In_Kreis

Oct 2, 2006
    on the pitch
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Although calling Borghetti a "big ego" might...

7. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here is an idea... Lets put Wingert on one wing and Findley on the other. The lineup would look like this:

GK: Rimando (he is keeping the spot even in my book)
    DF: Joy Olave Borchers Russell
    MD: Findley Beckerman Javi Wingert
    FW: Espindola Dr.
    Subs: Williams for Wingert, Dema for Beckerman or Javi, Beltran for Findley

This allows Russell and Wingert to exchange runs if one or the other is tired and not give anything up in the back.
    Also allows Findley and Espindola to switch between wing and striker.
    Allows Beckerman to be the holding mid he really is and making it possible for him and Javi to connect more.
    I wish we had another friendly match to see this lineup in

8. TapocoL

TapocoL Member

Feb 7, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought Findley was horrible in the U-23s as a winger. He isn't a guy that tries to pass people dribbling, and his cross is not close to par. His greatest strength is his open field pace, which may be good on the wing, but is more effective when you can get him behind the defense, where he can finish in the open field.

I was impressed with Kovalenko on the wing the last couple times, though. I think he offers more on the wing than as a D-Mid. He makes great runs up the wing (I remember 3 times in the first half of TFC game where his support on the wing opened up a lot of room), he has been able to put in some dangerous crosses in the box (inconsistent at times though), and lastly (and most important) he wasn't looking to shoot from 25 yards out like he usually does (and usually shanks the shot). But, the problem is when your only backup for d-mid is Cutler (damnit Sturgis).

9. Arelius

Arelius Member

Mar 23, 2004
    I took this picture of Cristiano Ronaldo when he was training with the team a few weeks back. I overheard someone say in the FO that we are looking at him for a DP...

10. jp992751

jp992751 Member

Aug 26, 2006
    Logan, Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some good ideas though I don't see Findley playing on a wing. His ball control isn't up to par and his first touch would let him down but I cab see flipping Espy into that spot and letting Findley play up[ top with Doc. Espy likes to play the wing and his crosses have been pretty good. If not that why not try this sort of line.

Rimando

Joy-----------Olave--------------Borachers-----------Russel

Beckerman

Javi-------------------------Wingert

Espy

Findley--------------Doc

That might work a bit better but I wouldn't mind seeing your formation with the Espy Findley switch.

11. stucknutah

stucknutah Member+

Feb 14, 2002
    In the Office
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Others have had this thought as well...Novak re Findley and Clavijo re Beckerman...

Findley was widely and roundly criticised in Olympic qualifying for his efforts on the outside mid...basically the position doesn't fit his skill set as much as you would expect.

Beckerman got himself in the doghouse for the Crapids because he refused to play d-mid...he fashions himself as something like a #10, and Kreis has carved out a tweener position for him just to keep him happy.

So..other than that, I agree with your suggestions...:D

12. jp992751

jp992751 Member

Aug 26, 2006
    Logan, Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am wondering though with our amazing D and the lack of a true D-mid (cutler is like having nothing on the field if Beckerman couldn't drop back a bit (somewhat of a D-mid) but press foreward on attacks make like a small dimond formation in the mid.

-----------------------Beckerman--------------------
    ------------Morales-------------------Wingert-------
    ------------------------Espy----------------

Let Beckerman press foreward into a central role during attacking but fall back a bit during defense. Even if he wasn't a true D-mid I am sure he would be more effective than Cutler.Later if Dema subs in for Wingert or Espy pull up Beckerman and drop back Dema.

But you are right with Findley he needs to be up top running onto the ball. Not on a wing where he will have his skills (speed) wasted not running behind defenders.

13. Christoph

Christoph Member

Aug 20, 2006
    Farm Country
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's weird...I didn't know there was an ocean in Lehi....

14. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    anyone with a tattoo this horrible should be shot

15. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ok, so the criticism is that Findley is not a wing and Beckerman is not a D-Mid. How then should we set this up? My second attempt...:
    Rimando
    Russel Olave Borchers Joy
    Wingert Sturgis(Dema) Javi Beckerman Espy
    Duechar

Subs: Findley for Beckerman or Duecahr, Williams for Espy, Beltran for whoever

I know I left Findley off, however I have always seen him as a great power sub anyways. This formation is different in that we would have two attacking mids and really allowing Javi to become a forward of Espy and Beckerman sliding back or to the wing. Just another though for a lineup.... Thoughts?

16. stucknutah

stucknutah Member+

Feb 14, 2002
    In the Office
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    You very well may have hit on Kreis' away line-up for wide pitches. If the pitch is narrow, go with the standard home lineup.

17. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    do you think it will work? I see some liabilities on the defensive end, however our offense and possession should be quite good

18. RealSandy

RealSandy Member

Aug 15, 2006
    Sandy
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With the new stadium, aren't we going to widen the pitch like the one that Denver plays on?

19. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    well the pitch will not be any more narrow then it is now, that is for sure

20. Blitzz Supporter

May 23, 2004
    Centerville
    I think FIFA is trying to get all pitches to a standard 105 metres by 68 metres. I think the Dick supposedly shank there field a little bit because of that. I'd say that RSL Stadium will be 105 x 68 meters. It's pretty easy to do when the surface is built for Soccer Specifications.

21. keeptheslinrsl

Mar 17, 2008
    Section 26!
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    6 meters!!!!!

22. ryno007

ryno007 New Member

Jul 16, 2008
    Draper, UT, USA
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now that should make for some interesting crosses!

23. Blitzz Supporter

May 23, 2004
    Centerville
    Sorry my 8 must have got deleted. I'll fix that.

24. RealSandy

RealSandy Member

Aug 15, 2006
    Sandy
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Obviously it would be wider, Colorado seems to have widen it a little extra to take advantage of their play and the altitude. Our style of play isn't really condusive with wider pitches. That is one reason our record at home is so good. What happens with our personel?

25. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone know the size of the pitch down in Lehi that Real trains on?