Real Salt Lake signs midfielder Robbie Russell; What Next?

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by Arelius, Jul 23, 2008.

1. kirsoccer

kirsoccer BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 29, 2007
    Re: Real Salt Lake signs midfielder Robbie Russell

Yes, it's Adam Acosta.

2. penoman

penoman New Member

Nov 27, 2007

well adam acosta is a weenie ive played against him for years and he has no buisness being on the same feild as rsl and iam telling you the second signing is borgetti mark my words i got that from the FO a good friend

3. kirsoccer

Jun 29, 2007

I sure hope you are wrong.

4. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Why? Do you not like what he said about a nice guy like Acosta or do you not like the prospects of RSL signing Borgetti?

5. blitzzfan

blitzzfan Member

Jul 25, 2000
    St. George, UT

I've already overcome the bizarro world where we get Beckerman and love him. A Kovalenko on top of that.

Taking on Borgetti for a playoff run wouldn't have me jumping off the overpass or buying more tickets.

6. kirsoccer

Jun 29, 2007

35 YO strikers, no matter what their pedigree, just don't excite me.

7. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake

In the short term I believe Jared Borgetti would be a pretty good way to open up scoring opportunities for our front line. I think that with the work ethic of the good Dr. combined with the finishing skills of Jared it could be a very good tandem that would open up more chances for the entire team to score.

Age is a problem but having someone with the experience like Jared could be a positive in the long run for our younger strikers.

8. DadOf6

DadOf6 Member

Jul 4, 2005
    Taylorsville, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I think it's been proven that a 35 year-old player can do quite well in MLS. To get one who can still perofrm, draws a nice crowd, and is a nice guy on and off of the pitch would be a real coup.

9. kirsoccer

Jun 29, 2007

Maybe. But its a very temporary solution.

Also, Borgetti gets alot of goals off his head. He has much more of an overall game than Deuchar, but this aspect of his game may be limited with our current roster.

10. wrennywren

wrennywren Member

Jul 15, 2004
    San Antonio TX

Dude scores goals, that's all I know.

11. RSLEast

RSLEast Member

Jan 26, 2008
    East?
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake

...and all you need to know.:cool:

12. Arelius

Arelius Member

Mar 23, 2004

Me neither, but I can guarantee that he would increase our Goals For average. Currently he is averaging a goal every two games in Monterrey, which is tons better than anyone currently on RSL. Even if we just signed him for a year, we certainly could do worse...

13. blitzzfan

blitzzfan Member

Jul 25, 2000
    St. George, UT

That's all we really need. No reason to really plot out the '10 season yet.

14. kirsoccer

Jun 29, 2007

No, but whoever we add may get 10 games with us this season, and it will take at least a couple of games to fit in with the team. So we should make a move with next season in mind. And then you are talking about a 36 YO striker. As I peruse the list of top goal scorers in MLS, I don't see many of those. I would expect the same thing if you look at top goal scorers in other leagues around the world.

Maybe I'm greedy, but I'd rather see a talented young striker even if he doesn't have the resume of Borgetti.

15. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Nothing wrong with that opinion, but who do you have in mind? Borgetti is a potential instant fix. I think thats why many of us are open to it.

16. Blitzz Boy

Blitzz Boy Member

Apr 4, 2002
    The West Side

Borgetti will also sell tickets.

But Jorge Estrada would still be the best Mexican forward ever to play in Salt Lake.

17. kirsoccer

Jun 29, 2007

I'm just hoping that we find a forward out there that's similar to his position as Olave and Morales are to theirs.

I agree that Borgetti would sale tickets, but as a fan I'm more worried about the success and future success of the team on the field. I'm not saying that he would be a bad option, I just think there may be better choices out there. Obviously I'm in the minority with this.

I would also think that a player like that would not be a good value. I would assume that he'd be looking for DP dollars, but in the last year or two of his career I'm not sure he'd play at that level. Of course there's that Temoc guy, who at 35 was just named All-Star MVP, so who knows.

18. jp992751

jp992751 Member

Aug 26, 2006
    Logan, Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

You do realize that by insiting that Borgetti is true that if it doesn't happen your reputation will be so scarred that you will be thought of on these boards as Jamie Trecker!!!! OR are you him!!!!!

19. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake

Out of curiosity who would you like to see RSL try to sign? Players you really believe RSL could attract.

I can see why people would object to signing a player as old as Borgetti and I don't think he would be my first choice either. What I do like is the fact that we have some very young and talented players at the forward position that many probably believe could lead this team for years to come. I believe that having a player like Borgetti, if he is a team player, could help our young forwards learn to be better finishers.

Maybe there are players younger than Borgetti with more experience that could do something similar. I don't know. There is a lot to be said for experience.

20. TapocoL

TapocoL Member

Feb 7, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yura - 20 years old
    Robbie - 22 years old
    Fabian - 23 years old
    Tino - 23 years old

(NOTE: Yura, Robbie and Tino all have birthdays in August)

Although, I agree that getting a mid-30 player is not the best option for the future. But, I think we are ready for the future with 4 young strikers (however, only 2 are playing well enough for the first-team at the moment). If we can bring in a forward that can finish (which Borgetti has shown at all sorts of levels), I think we will be set up for a run at the top spot in the West (Superliga, CCL, US Open Cup bids). Add on that, we will most likely increase our ticket sales for fans of the Mexican League/NT, and I would be happy with this signing.

21. RSLEast

RSLEast Member

Jan 26, 2008
    East?
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake

I wish I hadn't been so critical of Yura. He's had to play SOBER this whole time!!:eek: No wonder...

22. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake

So what you are saying is that he could not possibly get an assist because he does not have a wingman?

23. Re: Real Salt Lake signs midfielder Robbie Russell

I just checked the Monterrey website and Borgetti is still listed on their roster. Click on "Delanteros" and you'll see him listed. If you look over their forwards I'd like to have Humberto Suazo: 27 years old, 19 goals in 19 starts.

24. kirsoccer

Jun 29, 2007

Yeah, let's sign that guy. See Poqui, you have a future as a talent scout.

25. jp992751

jp992751 Member

Aug 26, 2006
    Logan, Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

That is what I keep saying Chupete Suazo is a beast! He is magic with the ball at his feet and is aggresive at attcking. He is the main reason many Chileans think they will make the WC in 2010. HE knows how to score, plus he isn't liking his time in Monteray. Sign him and I can see us scoring at least a goal a game here on out. He singal handedly beat Brazil in a WC Qualifier back for the 06 cup with a 3 goal performance that made him an instant smash hit. With Colo Colo he was named team MVP 3 times in a row and led the league in goals two years in a row. The guy is a bald headed beast. He may look a bit chubby but he uses the mass to his advantage.