Real Salt Lake signs midfielder Robbie Russell; What Next?

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by Arelius, Jul 23, 2008.

1. beaveman

beaveman New Member

Feb 12, 2007
    Mapleton, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Real Salt Lake signs midfielder Robbie Russell

So is Russell sporting the bald look or the dreads right now? He could compete with Kyle for the best hair:D

2. Arelius

Arelius Member

Mar 23, 2004

Bald look was 2004ish. Dreads was 2006ish.

3. Arelius

Arelius Member

Mar 23, 2004

Michael Lewis explains that Russell's identity was kept secret out of fear that league rivals would torpedo its attempts to land him. According to league allocation rules and its low position on the allocation list, RSL needed 12 other teams to pass on Russell before it could claim him. Another team could have claimed Russell first and tried to force RSL to give something up in a trade for him.

4. kirsoccer

kirsoccer BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 29, 2007

I received clarification on this. Apparantly MLS views him as part of the National Team pool (even though he has never been capped), and so he was subject to allocation rules.

5. ajr_RSL

ajr_RSL Member

Sep 26, 2007
    Mesa, Az
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'm just glad we're not the RSL of old, pretty damn sure the old FO would fubard it

6. Arelius

Arelius Member

Mar 23, 2004

Another example of the value that Garth Lagerwey brings to RSL.

7. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United

If another team had shown interest in him and wanted to use an allocation for him, there could have been a lottery. DC wanted to sign Rogers last year, wanted to use an allocation on him, but another team showed interest, so there was a lottery.

8. RSLEast

RSLEast Member

Jan 26, 2008
    East?
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake

Two questions for us all to ponder:

RE The two signings which have been discussed (one contingent on the other). I would think that this meant that we had a first and second pick for the same position. Having obtained our first pick, we don't exercise our option for the second. Alternatively, it meant we want two players, but the second only if we get the first. This second scenario makes no sense though unless they are good buddies who won't play without each other (awww... how sweet)

Q1) Would you agree with this? because it affects how you look at the second question

Garth said that we can now move forward with other signings now that we have Robbie Russell. I got a panicked feeling when I realized that there was no time frame associated with this statement.

Q2) Is there any reason to think that this second signing (possibly an attacker) is necessarily going to be brought on during the present window. Said differently, is there anything to indicate that the search for the other piece of the puzzle has already begun or if they were waiting on this (the RR signing)before chasing all over the globe for the next one? Will we find him in time!?:eek:

yes i know :rolleyes:...

So please, reassure me that we are going to announce some incredible acquisition soon.

9. Arelius

Arelius Member

Mar 23, 2004

The way I understood it is that RSL needed to shore up its midfield/defense in order to go after a forward.

We know that the second offer has already been extended. Garth himself said that it will happen before the end of the transfer window.

10. RSLEast

RSLEast Member

Jan 26, 2008
    East?
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake

I agree with the first of what you've said about going after a forward once the mid/d was good. I got the same impression. I just wondered if we are confusing what is meant by "the second offer"

I thought the initial talk of two offers meant an offer for RR (#1) and a backup in case that fell through(#2). In which case, pursuing a forward would be a third offer (second offer withdrawn).

Wow, I'm talking myself in circles. Anyway, I appreciate your attempt to clear up my muddied analysis.

11. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

If certain DH's here had their way, they would expect the FO to telephone them personally to let the know that they were pursuing Russell, and update them on each step in the contract negotiations.

12. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The way this was handled, completely in secrecy, means that we don't even know of Russell was our first pick or second, in that scenario. And, that is good for Russell, RSL and us fans. Imagine if Russell knew he was the 'backup' or 'safety' choice for the team (if that was the case, which we don't know).

13. I_Believe_In_Kreis

Oct 2, 2006
    on the pitch
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Based on Jason's postmatch comments the other night, I don't think this is the case. Despite signing Russell, RSL is still working on signing the other mystery player. That tells me they don't play the same position.

I don't have any inside information thanks to the current era of secrecy at RSL, but all the comments (and lack of comments) lead me to believe that the second player is not contingent on the RR signing and he's likely a relatively young, unknown foreign international striker (someone in the mold of Espindola).

14. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake

I don't mind the secrecy. I prefer it.

RSL seems to be heading in a direction that demands competency and expects results from the F.O. down to the field.

It reminds me of another franchise here in town. Tight lipped and very professional. Maybe a little too conservative compared to other NBA teams, thus never getting the player they need to get them over the top but sometimes having a winning product and being able to at least compete for the title every year is better than winning a title by mortgaging the future. You see it more in Baseball, the Florida Marlins come to mind. 2 titles and the team is dismantled after each title.

All that said, what I think we really want is more rumors. We want to be able to talk about some one. Some thing, anything.

Maybe someone should start a rumor thread or future G.M. thread and maybe some one could get a job offer out of it. There are plenty of qualified experts here. Not me, I am an idiot.

But I did hear that RSL was going to sign a that big Chezch forward that just retired. Kellor?

15. beaveman

beaveman New Member

Feb 12, 2007
    Mapleton, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Do you mean the 6' 7 1/2" Jan Koller? Donk would crap bricks!;) Still, it wouldn't matter if we have nobody that can give him decent service...

Wouldn't this belong on the transfer rumors thread with Pele, Maradona, Ronaldinho, etc.?

16. kirsoccer

Jun 29, 2007

I managed to make it out to practice today. Not alot that I could get out of Russell's first appearance with the time, but I was surprised at his size/strength. With the speed that has been reported, it seems that he has great physical attributes. He also seems well spoken and very interested in being here.

17. ccb1212

ccb1212 Member

Sep 5, 2006
    West Jordan,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Thanks for the update. I wonder if we will see him on Monday.

18. ajr_RSL

ajr_RSL Member

Sep 26, 2007
    Mesa, Az
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

no pics? (for some reason i feel like a perv asking that)

19. kirsoccer

Jun 29, 2007

Sorry - I posted them on Keepin' It Real. Its a bit of a pain to post them here, because I have to upload to photobucket first.

20. ajr_RSL

ajr_RSL Member

Sep 26, 2007
    Mesa, Az
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

sweet thanks

21. ajr_RSL

ajr_RSL Member

Sep 26, 2007
    Mesa, Az
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

in the pics who was that wearing number 19 kit

22. utrossonero

utrossonero New Member

Mar 4, 2005
    RSLStadium Sec 21 RA

Adam Acosta?

23. TheGoldenBoot

TheGoldenBoot Member

Nov 20, 2007
    Ogden, Ut
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

That's who it looks like to me.

24. Dickov Del Horno

Dickov Del Horno New Member

Feb 23, 2008
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic

Yeah, haven't you heard? He's our huge international signing! :D

25. Blitzz Supporter

May 23, 2004
    Centerville

No. He'd be our Huge InterMountain signing.