Pre-match: Real Salt Lake - San Jose Earthquakes (Saturday, 6/23) pregame thread

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by TyffaneeSue, Jun 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FUAEG

FUAEG Member+

Oct 18, 2005
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is a 6 point opportunity vs maybe the best team in the league. We're hot and they're not. You play to win.

QuietType repped this.
  2. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    If you recall the last game against RSL at Buck Shaw, Morrow played LB and was terrorizing down the left flank for parts of the 1st half (before the red card changed the flow of the much a bit). True, his final ball isn't always there, but his runs down the flank will go a lot deeper and can be more dangerous than Corrales's. Corrales tends to go just beyond midfield and then look for the long diagonal cross. So you wind up not utilizing that deeper space on the wings. If he tries to make a deeper run, he is much slower and can easily be closed down. I think this was Frank's rationale in starting Morrow at LB in the last RSL match.

QuietType repped this.
  3. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Yep. Old Quakes would go in there, play conservatively and play for a draw. This is the New Quakes (or Classic Quakes, as in 2001-2003+2005?). What I would like to see is a mindset change, where they believe they can outplay any team, and should always go for the win.

As for the who's hot, who's not thing, I think it's a wash in the end. It's like tossing a coin and getting heads 3 times in a row. You're still at 50-50 on the next toss. You're not going to get heads because you're "hot" and you're not "due" for a tails. I think a lot depends on who gets the 1st goal. If it's the Quakes, RSL may start to press a bit ("oh no, we can't lose again!"). If it's RSL they may smell blood and pour it on.

4. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    We're screwed, Albany58's favorite person is officiating tonight :(

REFEREE: Jair Marrufo. SAR (bench): Corey Rockwell; JAR (opposite): Fabio Tovar; 4th: Tyler Ploeger
    MLS Career: 135 games; FC/gm: 24.2; Y/gm: 3.2; R: 32; pens: 42

5. elvinjones

elvinjones Member

Jul 4, 2011
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's definitely the New Quakes JazzyJ....
    Which game did he previously ref?

6. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Dawkins is good enough to start, but not good enough to dictate where he plays. He's exciting as center midfielder and makes things happen, but gives up the ball a lot more than anyone else in that position.
    Yes, it was awful. The team has springy outside midfielders and the job of the central midfield is to spring them. In the last game , either through lack of confidence or bad positioning, the defense was sending long balls to them bypassing the midfield altogether. That changed when the center midfield changed. In 20 minutes, Stephenson had almost as many passes as Baca did in 60. And no way Baca makes that pass that setup Salinas for the cross in the first goal.

QuietType repped this.
  7. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I am wearing my jersey and ready for the game. You can tell the rsl fans are nervous because they are referring to us as dbags.

8. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Meh, Baca had more like 2x as many passes as Stephenson. I've seen Baca lay out nice passes to the wings. He tends to play shorter passes, but I've seen plenty of nice longer passes played out into space on the wings. Cronin also generally distributes to the wings pretty well when he is not busy backpassing. Not sure what was going on earlier in the CO match. Would have to watch it again. Baca also gives you a higher work rate and more field coverage than Stephenson. He doesn't ball win as much as I'd like but marks very closely defensively. There was a sequence where he ran circles around Casey a few times trying to steal the ball (and eventually got called for a foul I think).

9. KMJvet

KMJvet BigSoccer Supporter

May 26, 2001
    Quake Country
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The line-up that's out there should play to win...or tie. I just wouldn't pick the line-up with this game as my top priority of the next 3. I'd rate the Seattle match most important and the FO will rank the LAG match most important.

10. sportsfan-quakes

Mar 19, 2005
    San Jose
    Corrales was out injured and not even on the bench for the last RSL match, that's why Morrow started at left back. I expect to see Ramiro at left back tonight and Morrow in the middle next to Bernardez.

11. sportsfan-quakes

Mar 19, 2005
    San Jose
    I like Baca, but he has not played that well in the last several matches. Much of that time he was out on the wing, but even when he's played centrally, he hasn't looked like he did at the start of the season. As for the Colorado match, Baca had 18 successful passes in 65 minutes (on pace for 25 for 90 minutes), Khari had 11 successful passes in 20 minutes (on pace for 50 for a 90 minute game). That's a very big difference, Khari was very good on Wed night. If Baca keeps playing like he has, Khari should probably get more playing time.

I thought Baca's best game by far was in New York, where he and Cronin bossed the midfield. In that game he had 54 successful passes over 90 minutes. He also made nice runs forward (like when he scored the goal) and was just more active. I want to see that Baca playing again.

12. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Ah, didn't remember that. In any case the first part of that RSL match may have been the best the Quakes have played all year. They were completely taking it to RSL, one of the top couple of teams in the league. Morrow's play down the left wing was a big part of that. They dominated after going up a man (or two) also but you're supposed to do that.

I also expect Corrales to be left back this game and Morrow CB (and have previously posted that) because Frank will want to work RC into his 2-game rotation.Too bad. Quakes won't be able to exploit space deep on the left wing unless Salinas is left mid. But IMO Dawkins needs to be on the field also.

13. sportsfan-quakes

Mar 19, 2005
    San Jose
    It's a tough situation. With 50k people in a sold out Stanford stadium (there are less than 1000 seats left as of yesterday), it is important that the Quakes play well and entertain people. It's a big opportunity to market the team. While winning the USOC is also a big accomplishment, it doesn't pay the bills (team typically end up losing money hosting USOC games).

You believe the USOC match is most important, and there are good arguments for that, but there are equally good arguments that the LA and RSL matches are more important. Hopefully the team can do well in all 3 - I'd take a draw tonight if it meant a win in the USOC match, but I definitely want to beat LA. They are starting to get some confidence and play better, it will be big if the Quakes can beat them and put them back down "in their place" (at the bottom of the standings :))

QuietType repped this.
  14. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Very small sample size. I would guess that Baca has a higher passes per minute rate than Khari over the full season when they've played central mid. Baca's just a more active central mid with a higher work rate. The thing about Khari is that I've noticed that he does well in short spurts as a sub when everyone else is a bit tired. When he starts he tends to kind of loaf. Baca's work rate is always very high and he covers a ton if ground. So maybe Baca starting and Khari in at 70 minutes is a way to go.

As for Baca's play at central mid I think all that time at outside mid had taken him a little out of form as center mid. At the time of the NY game he had played several games in the center I think.

15. FUAEG

FUAEG Member+

Oct 18, 2005
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's a pretty amazing slate of games this week. Good time to be a fan. :)

QuietType and blacksun repped this.
  16. QuietType

QuietType Member+

Jun 6, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Indeed. Each of the next three games are big in their own way. I fully believe we can win all three, but this is going to be a brutal week for the guys. I just hope Yallop doesn't try to spread the talent out to thin or make "resting" more of his priority rather than trying to win.

17. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, no! Jair MoFo. We don't deserve this.

18. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Watching the Spain -France replay until game time.....

19. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As with the Spain-France game, this game will also feature La Roja vs. Le Bleu. :)

[​IMG]

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :cool:

-G

20. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    On my way to rio tinto. 101 degrees. People have been coming over making challenging comments. Like hi noon at the ok corral.everyone knows its a major ga
    me

21. leocal

leocal Member

Aug 23, 2004
    Fog City
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    nice to see them opt for the blue. black uniforms in 101 heat would be beyond stupid. i would have gone for last year's white away uniform.

22. leocal

leocal Member

Aug 23, 2004
    Fog City
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    tell them to go jump in the great salt lake! :p

Beerking repped this.
  23. FUAEG

FUAEG Member+

Oct 18, 2005
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope you're wearing your lenhart wig.

24. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Morrow cotralres wondo lenny chavez beuta simon khari bernardez hernandez seem to be starting

25. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What's this? Your first team? I am VERY disappointed in your approach to the USOC! ;)