Real Racing Club Santander.

Discussion in 'Spain: Clubs' started by macaluca, Feb 12, 2006.

1. Horsehead

Horsehead Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 2, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Here is a WorldSportHD profile/interview of Garay.

It's got a funny interlude in the middle that is all about Santander anchovies. Towards the end, he talks about the team, his goal against Real Madrid earlier this season and coming to Spain from Argentina.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=em9r72BLKS0

2. macaluca

macaluca Member+

Nov 24, 2005
    Park bench
    I'm guessing a few of my fellow Madridistas will be looking to see what I write here...:rolleyes:
    Anway, just gonna say, 2 Garay penalties (one desrved, one not) saw racing come back from a goal down to continue what is becoming an ever more impressive home record.
    A place in Europe is within touching distance and would be an incredible acheivement.
    Once again Munitis was everywhere and my Racing MoM.

3. israel972

israel972 New Member

May 30, 2005
    Vancouver, Canada
    There were two other penalties before that, that should have been called.

4. jfcule

jfcule Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 4, 2005
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    And Ramos should've been sent off...

5. marakana10

marakana10 New Member

May 9, 2005
    I like the fact that Zigic was once again the fallen hero, after Canavarro tackled him maliouscly...

COME ON RACING!

And Garay. No wonder he has been linked with big clubs. I hope both stay at Racing and make a further name for themselves.

6. dzoisrb

dzoisrb New Member

Sep 1, 2006
    Lipar
    So, does anyone remember what I said!? :cool:

7. Blitzwing

Blitzwing New Member

Jul 3, 2006
    Sydney
    These 2 players Zigic and Garay are definitely future stars.

What a season Zigic is having, I remember at the beginning of the season Racing fans were upset that Brazilian wonderkid Rafael Sobis signed for Real Betis instead of Racing, well I am sure most Racing fans would prefer Zigic upfront now instead of Sobis. Now the problem is keeping hold of him just about every major club are reportedly keeping an eye on him, does anyone know how much Racing paid to buy him? cause I think his value would of doubled by now if not more.

8. dzoisrb

dzoisrb New Member

Sep 1, 2006
    Lipar
    Solarz you are right, and I think that they would sell him to some bigger club. Racing paid for him 6 mil. euros! I think that they will easily double that sum! (I think that they now ask 30 mil. for his freedom, but that is a little too much probably...)

9. macaluca

macaluca Member+

Nov 24, 2005
    Park bench
    His buy out clause is 30m so if anyone (Spanish) offered that, Racing would be powerless to stop him leaving. However as you say, that is probably more than any club would be willing to pay...I would guess a bid of around 18m would be enough to tempt Racing.

10. marakana10

marakana10 New Member

May 9, 2005
    On www.sportskacentrala.com, Nikola Zigic has been linked tremendously with Barcelona as well as another "big" team from the Bundesliga. This site is probably the most respectable Serbian sport site, thus I'm inclined to believe there is truth in it, if it's not all true.

It's in Serbian, so I would link it up, but since nobody can read it...

I would imagine Racing would sell him somewhere in the region of 15 million.

11. dzoisrb

dzoisrb New Member

Sep 1, 2006
    Lipar
    This morning I've heard something about Zigic and Barsa too! And it was in the papers also... I don't yet know is it true...

12. dzoisrb

dzoisrb New Member

Sep 1, 2006
    Lipar
    Ok, NOW I KNOW THAT IT IS TRUE! I have talked with him, and he said that negotiations are in progres, and maybe this summer he move in Barselona, if not this summer then next year certainly.

13. el mero mero

el mero mero New Member

Mar 21, 2005
    Santa Úrsula
    Is Zigic still under contract for next season?

I also hear Jonathan is back from Malaga, anyone know if he will be a first team player next year?

14. Persian Luis Figo

Persian Luis Figo New Member

Jan 3, 2005
    I don't speak Spanish but I heard Ebi Smolarek is coming to Racing?

Don't know if it's official or just speculation, loan or permanent but he will be able to get some goals, so it should be a decent buy.

Dont like the fact that Racing gave away Felipe Melo and I think that'll be a very good addition for Almeria who will get good service out of him and then sell him for some money in a year or two when he establishes himself in Spain.

Sergio Matabuena also was a good player to have as backup. Hardworking, capable of playing several positions and the sorta guy who you needed for 'depth' through a long season.

Not happy with Racing's transfer dealings this summer. Mr. Pernia and the club have not shown enough ambition which is not a surprise but still, you kinda hoped that after a good last season, maybe they can try to build on that.. but it looks like 10th place will be a great achievement again if it happens and I doubt it'll happen. 13th or 14th this time is more like it in my opinion.

Won't get relegated because the squad still has some good but under-rated players who love the club like Colsa and Munitis along with young talent like Garay and Marcelinho is a good manager, but they won't have as good a season as last year either.

15. El Sardinero

El Sardinero New Member

Aug 28, 2007
    I was there on Sunday and pretty encouraged with what I saw.

I do agree with the previous poster though - letting the likes of Melo, Matabuena and Ruben go (plus losing Balboa etc.) is a very dangerous strategy and I'm not sure how long Marcelinho will go on if the Chairman doesn't back him by bringing in players.

I don't know much about Smolarek, and thanks to the ref, I didn't get much chance to form an opinion on Sunday either. But looking at his build, I do think they need to bring in a replacement for Zigic, someone who can win the ball in the air and keep hold of it. Bolado gets in some great positions but is easily pushed off the ball and tends to drift as if he's not concentrating. Munitis will get through a lot of work, but it's far too much to ask of him for an entire season.

The positives - the back 4 look solid and Ayoze too looked the part when he came on. Serrano was dangerous, Duscher slotted in well and Colsa pretty much ran the game for Racing. Not entirely convinced by Lopez yet, but still, signs of promise.

They just need that cutting edge now - over to you Mr Chairman.....

16. macaluca

macaluca Member+

Nov 24, 2005
    Park bench
    Welcome to the boards El Sardinero...it's good to have a Racinguista on here.
    I don't know if you have read through the thread but I started it following a visit to Santander, a place I really liked, and most especially following the warm hospitality I received from your club.
    Unfortunately I don't get to post in this thread too often now (too much to say on the Madrid board;))... and it is sometimes difficult for me to keep up with the goings on at the club... so any contributions such as match reports and news would be greatly appreciated.

Considering the lack of arrivals at the club during the summer and the thinness of the squad, I thought that was a fantastic result against Barcelona on Sunday...hopefully a sign that things are not as bad as they were looking before the game.

17. El Sardinero

El Sardinero New Member

Aug 28, 2007
    Macaluca! - we spoke a while back. I used to be "don'tsaysublime" but I was gone so long that I had forgotten my login etc. and had to start all over again!

I hope el señor Pernia saw what the rest of us saw on Sunday. It should be blindingly obvious that we need more support up front (Just look at the collapse at the end of last season when Zigic got injured).

While Barcelona are a dangerous team, defensively they are no great shakes and although we created 5 or 6 very good chances, we couldn't put the ball in the net. That spells trouble.

Having said that, Racing left it late to enter the transfer market last year so I'm hoping that we'll see one more player arrive before the deadline. I can't believe Marcelinho would agree to join a club who were about to sell their star striker and not bring in replacements.

Another season of fingernail biting awaits.