Post-match: Real Madrid vs. Manchester United - CL Round of 16 - First Leg [02/13/13, 2:45 PM EST] [R]

Discussion in 'Real Madrid' started by Zidane05, Feb 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zidane05

Zidane05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 18, 2005
    Toronto
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but Ferguson is known for swapping his wingers and both strikers are able to play out wide. Arbeloa is more than a capable one-on-one defender, and Coentrao can conceivably deal with Valencia. It would make the decision for them to swap wingers very easy if Arbeloa is on the right where Valencia can just fly by him.

2. zohee

zohee Member+

May 28, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Slovenia

My guess is he will start alongside Khedira and Alonso in the midfield. Oezil on the left and Benzema in the striker position. Dominating the midfield will be crucial, plus Khedira will have more freedom to roam upfront.

Dibs on Khedira scoring!

3. natenate101

natenate101 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 16, 2006
    California, US
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Coentrao and Valencia were battling it out in the Portugal Ecuador friendly last week, should be a good matchup.

4. mymy33

mymy33 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 15, 2007
    Blondie just needs to stay cool, sometimes he gets extra amped for these big games and that's when we see him pick up stupid yellow cards (like for those damned handballs he's so fond of) and lose focus.

Just stay cool man....

5. Umar

Umar Member+

Sep 13, 2005
    One step ahead
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    Valencia won't play on the left, I'd be amazed if he does. His cross is better than his shot, and he is extremely right-footed. His whole game is based on whipping in a cross after getting a yard off the fullback. Young is not in form and I'm not sure if he will play or not. Nani isn't as effective on the left, but I guess he could play there if Ferguson went with two wingers.

But Ferguson hasn't played wingers on both wings much this season, I think they use a diamond 4 in midfield, so we will probably have a tucked-in midfielder like Cleverley or Anderson there, neither of whom are known for their pace.

6. Umar

Umar Member+

Sep 13, 2005
    One step ahead
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    If he's in midfield with Sami and Xabi, Ozil should be on the right. One striker, Ronaldo in the left wing position, play a tight game and try and get a 1-0 but hope for a 2-0.

If it's 2-0 after the first leg, the tie will be over imo. They'd have to score three without conceding to win the tie.

Zidane05 repped this.
  7. s7kru

s7kru Red Card

Dec 13, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I don't think we will have a clean sheet at the end of the day
    I'd say a 2-2 draw and in the 90+1 minute Benz, making it 3-2

btw I played on FIFA11 the match and won it with 1-0 (Carvalho), so no worry guys, we will win this match :laugh:

8. zohee

zohee Member+

May 28, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Slovenia
    Yes ofc, my bad I meant on the left :D

Just win by 2 and we're good.

9. halamadrid00

halamadrid00 Red Card

Aug 2, 2007
    UK
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Arbeloa Ramos varane and Fabio worked on ball movement and speed in a group made up of others sure to start tomorrow. I think that will be our back line.

10. Oscar

Oscar Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Holland
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    lol :D

11. WhiteBlood

WhiteBlood BigSoccer Supporter

May 31, 2006
    Kuwait
    Essien should start at RB, or instead of Khedira or Alonso. Not alongside. He's been very good tbh, but Mou should man up and not go with 3 pivot.

12. meringues

meringues Member+

Real Madrid
    United States
    Aug 8, 2008
    Wisconsin
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I was wondering if Mou might play Essien at RB instead of Arbeloa for his increased athleticism and experience playing against MUFC. I don't think the trivote is appropriate for this match unless Mou thinks Ferguson is going to play a 3-man midfield.

13. anticule

anticule Member+

Feb 17, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    Bosnia-Herzegovina
    can someone shed some light on kagawa?

14. Zidane05

Zidane05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 18, 2005
    Toronto
    I wear a Real Madrid scarf during the winter. The past two days, I've been stopped no less than 6 teams either on the train to work or at work telling me that Real Madrid will win the match. Either fans are suddenly coming out of the closet, or people here really hate Man Utd.

-Reivax- repped this.
  15. madridismo

madridismo Member+

Feb 28, 2007
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I'm quite sure Essien will play in midfield with Xabi and Khedira. I think this is a mistake. Evra can nullify Mesut on the wing, unlike Di Maria who can give Evra serious problems. I realize that Mou probably wants to overrun their midfield with the extra man, but this can also backfire on our attackers (crowding out Cristiano and marking Mesut); giving them the chance to score from a set piece or whatever.

I would have honestly gone with our 'once de gala' for this game.

16. anticule

anticule Member+

Feb 17, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    Bosnia-Herzegovina
    That's nice to hear. I've been hearing the opposite so I just give em' the

[​IMG]

ambro and sneakking repped this.
  17. Oscar

Oscar Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Holland
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    He likes this
    [​IMG]

+

[​IMG]

Dhajj, zohee, Shay Z and 3 others repped this.
  18. meringues

meringues Member+

Real Madrid
    United States
    Aug 8, 2008
    Wisconsin
    Club:
    Real Madrid

Is it just me, or is winning the midfield battle really not that important to this team the way it's constructed (as a pacy counter-attacking side with talented wingers and a forward-thinking AM)?

That's why I don't see Mou playing the trivote. But I could be wrong, and he might be trying to get out of this match with a 0-0.

19. Style

Style Member+

May 8, 2009
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    A Manchester United fan suggested that Phil Jones should start in midfield and man mark Ronaldo out the game, thus their defense can concentrate on Benzema, Ozil, and Di Maria.

20. MadridOzil

MadridOzil Member+

Jun 6, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Good let's hope so.

Phil Jones got turned by Fellaini a few times over the weekend by simple movement, he will wet himself if he was marking Ronaldo.

21. YOUNGSTARS87

YOUNGSTARS87 Yellow C@rd Bandit

Dec 21, 2005
    :ROFLMAO:

No need for any kind of concentration on these two.

22. meringues

meringues Member+

Real Madrid
    United States
    Aug 8, 2008
    Wisconsin
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    If (and only if) Mou is playing a 3-man midfield, I would play something like a 4-3-1-2, with Ozil playing behind a Ronaldo and Benzema strike pair. He needs to be in the middle of the pitch IMHO. I really can't see the trivote here - Ozil's energy is wasted on the right wing tracking back to help Arbs.

Hasn't Mou done this trick before, where a player accompanies him to the presser that doesn't end up playing? Didn't this happen with Granero at some point last year?

anticule repped this.
  23. madridismo

madridismo Member+

Feb 28, 2007
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    ^ Pretty sure Granero ended up playing that one. Anyway, if we don't play with wingers, I think Valencia-Rafael and Evra-Young can torch us. Seriously, I don't see why we would play anything but our tried and tested formation.

24. Style

Style Member+

May 8, 2009
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    ^^Meringues packing our midfield and playing with a trivote won't help against Manchester United as they don't play possession football.

I have not watched United a lot, but if we can nullify Rooney and RVP, while using our speed to get past their defense the result will be a favorable one.

25. Count Number

Count Number Member

Jan 9, 2012
    Bremen
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

Evra still searches Mesut in Stade de France.

Shay Z, sleepyvato50, Umar and 3 others repped this.