Real Madrid vs. Athletic - Another G-Damned Match Thread - 11/17/12 1400 EST - [R]

Discussion in 'Real Madrid' started by Chinky24, Nov 16, 2012.

1. natenate101

natenate101 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 16, 2006
    California, US
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now THAT is the kind of game I love to see from the boys. We were on em from minute 1.

2. halamadrid00

halamadrid00 Red Card

Aug 2, 2007
    UK
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I replied to your own contradiction. Night little boy :)

3. morgan07

morgan07 Member

Jun 13, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Maybe because just recently Ozil played full game vs Dortmund, and couple of matches before that. I thought we're past the whole Ozil cannot play full 90 minutes after he did so in several crunch games vs Barcelona last season & this season. He's also just recovered from ankle injury from Levante match.

However though, when everyone available, the three attackers bar Ronaldo are always bound to be substituted, unless we're chasing the game, nothing new there. After we're up 4-1, it's very easy to guess who would Mourinho replace.

And who knows Mourinho might actually start Callejon vs City, he started him once in big match vs Barcelona this season.

4. halamadrid00

halamadrid00 Red Card

Aug 2, 2007
    UK
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    The way Di Maria has been playing and the way Callejon has been playing...I would start Callejon.

Di Maria has no footballing brain.

nicafornica and Hsain85 repped this.
  5. blanc

blanc Member

Jan 13, 2006
    Los Galácticos
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    ooosh keeping it Real

6. anticule

anticule Member+

Feb 17, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    Bosnia-Herzegovina
    i like halamadrids posts. make me feel better about my own analysis.

with that. another win. whatever. time to demolish citeh.

7. ratheesh7k

ratheesh7k Member

Feb 18, 2010
    India
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I would still prefer angel for that one minute brilliance and 'out of fecking nowhere' goal/pass.. and for his defencive work rate as well...

8. Vector-SS

Vector-SS Member+

Mar 18, 2007
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    We finally looked lively as a team. Lots of running, compact, and quick passing, something we have been sorely lacking for the past few games.

Benz, what a freaking game! He looked absolutely fantastic out there and his pace was something I've never seen from the Frenchman before.

9. meringues

meringues Member+

Real Madrid
    United States
    Aug 8, 2008
    Wisconsin
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    All I need to do is quote myself from the start of the match:

They maintained that for an overwhelming majority of the full 90'. If you take this 90' + the last 45' against Dortmund (since we know the Levante game doesn't count), it's probably the best the team has played over such a stretch all season.

Maybe we're finally starting to get some form at the right time. This was the start of a stretch of 7 games in 3 weeks. What a way to start it.

DateTimeHomeAwayVenueCompetition
    Nov 17 FT Real Madrid 5-1 Athletic Bilbao
    Nov 21 2:45 ET Manchester City v Real Madrid Etihad Stadium Champions League (2012 First Phase)
    Nov 24 4:00 ET Real Betis v Real Madrid Estadio Manuel Ruiz de Lopera La Liga
    Nov 28 3:00 ET Real Madrid v Alcoyano Santiago Bernabeu Copa del Rey (Fourth Round)
    Dec 1 4:00 ET Real Madrid v Atlético Madrid Estadio Santiago Bernabéu La Liga
    Dec 4 2:45 ET Real Madrid v Ajax Amsterdam Estadio Santiago Bernabéu Champions League (2012 First Phase)
    Dec 8 2:00 ET Valladolid v Real Madrid Estadio Nuevo José Zorrilla

Some big big games in that span. On December 8 at around 4 pm ET, we will know a lot more about this team and this season. I honestly believe we have a >75% chance at winning every single one of these matches, especially with Khedira back. And I think Barcelona will have dropped points at least once by that time. I think by Christmas we'll be <6 points behind the cules with the early season troubles a distant memory.

Chinky24 and anticule repped this.
  10. Chinky24

Chinky24 Member+

Real Madrid
    Dec 26, 2004
    Nashville
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I will be busy with school shit, someone needs to do the threads from now til December 8th :)

nicafornica repped this.
  11. nicafornica

nicafornica Member+

Jun 7, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    If i get the chance, I'll do it.

Oh Benzema, fack yeahs.

12. -Fifth CharM-

-Fifth CharM- BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2007
    Fantastic to have Benzema back. The team clicks better with him playing, like the majority of last season, so I hope he keeps it up.

13. Achillean

Achillean Member

Apr 13, 2005
    WTF....what happened to the days these match threads lasted for 20+ pages?

4x4s repped this.
  14. AriGold

AriGold Member+

Jul 13, 2007
    Göteborg, Sweden
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    A lot more posts can fit into a page now.

15. plyka

plyka Member+

Sep 27, 2009
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Without a doubt. And i think every sees the reason: Benz. This is the first game he has played like he played them last season. He was a beast out there. When he plays like this, this team is quite unstoppable. He adds a different dimension, he is pure class. We all know Ronaldo is going to be a beast most of the time, this team needs another dimension out there, and Benz gives them that dimension when he plays like this. Even the announcers were saying Benz = Ronaldo (original)

16. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Anybody that believes this was a shocking result or some sort of incredible performance needs to check himself. Athletic are crap and will be relegation candidates if they don't pick it up. The three points were a must considering the form of our opponent and our recent history in the Bernabeu against them.

The game against Manchester City will be a lot tougher and people will be looking for scapegoats (in every "dimension" of the team) if that one goes wrong.

17. Alma Merengue

Alma Merengue Member+

May 5, 2005
    As I said earlier, one of the softest Athletic sides I have ever seen. They have been woeful in the league and worse than that in the Europa League.

I will say that we did see some glimpses of the kind of form we're looking for. It's probably not a coincidence that it is happening as we start to get people healthy.

18. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Athletic were a good opponent to get some confidence from. Manchester City performed similarly against an opponent that serves a similar purpose. I'm careful to start getting excited about how well the team suddenly works, because what I've see from Athletic this season in Spain has been nothing to get excited over. Benzema's two goals were beauties, Mesut's freekick for the assist to Ramos was remote controlled, and Ronaldo played a team based role which suits the team well, all great for different factors, but Athletic is not the bench mark.

19. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    He make his own goals, son! ;)

-Reivax- and Zidane05 repped this.
  20. nicafornica

nicafornica Member+

Jun 7, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    we won. Wait until we lose or draw.

anticule, sneakking, Chinky24 and 2 others repped this.
  21. Achillean

Achillean Member

Apr 13, 2005
    yeah, a lot of things have changed around here!

Chinky24 repped this.