[READ THE FIRST POST] The "I want to tryout for a Japanese Team" Thread

Discussion in 'Japanese Club Football' started by goru_no_ura, Oct 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SamuraiBlue2002

SamuraiBlue2002 Member+

Dec 20, 2008
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Re: The "I want to tryout for a Japanese Team" Thread

Brazilian Serie A is terrible now.

Your forgetting about some strong Eastern European Leagues.

Ukrainian Premier League, Turkcell Super Lig, and Belgian Jupilar League

2. nsato

nsato Member

Oct 11, 2009

I think he does respect us. He is just saying we are not as good as England and co. Surely you don't disagree with that? I don't mind people being upset about what he said, I just don't understand why people need to reply like we have to prove something.

I do agree that "if you disagree, I won't reply..." is pretty pathetic but this is not the only time I am talking about.

3. nsato

nsato Member

Oct 11, 2009

In bigsoccer, I don't go on anywhere else besides here and sometimes S. Korea. But I go on other places where they have discussions for other teams. I'm not asking the mods to ban him. I just don't get why people seem so desperate to defend this league and the national team. We have nothing to prove. When I have discussions with other people on here, we just disagree. But when someone new or from another board comes, the tone completely changes. I was treated the same way too in the beginning. They all got defensive trying to make J League sound as good as possible. Now they don't because I come on here often.

I agree that his reasonings are flawed but it is no worse than the people on here replying making Japan into something we're not just because we went farther than England and co this World Cup. It's also no worse than people on here thinking they know more than Okada.

I would put the J League in the top 10 but the national team wouldn't be in the top 20 for me. Could we have gone to the Quarters? Yeah. Could we have done better if Okada brought the players people here wanted to see? Sure. But France and Italy in another cycle most likely would have gone through. Ivory Coast in another group could have gone through. Nigeria was Yakubu away from going through. Slovenia were seconds away from going through. Who knows where Australia would have ended if Cahill was eligible the second game. US and S. Korea could have gone to the quarters on another day. Ghana could have gone to the semi on another day. I wonder what would have happened if Elia's shot didn't fall right to Kyuit in additional time vs Denmark and we went in vs Denmark as a must win. We probably would have been sent packing. My point is that although Japan can be in the top 20 and people might think we have the potential to be a quarterfinalist, there are another 20 countries who are in the same situation as us. When you consider all of that in, Japan would not be in top 20 for me.

Wenger pisses me off when it comes to his transfer policy but this is one thing I like about him regarding this. "The World Cup will not affect our recruitment," he said. "It is dangerous to buy on the back of a World Cup. The prices are artificial and you have to bear in mind that anyone can have three weeks of glory. To have 10 years of success is quite different." Thats what we got from Nakazawa, Honda, and many of our players. Yea they're successful but they've never played at the level they did in the World Cup. Honda may in the future but until now, the only game I thought he was true class was when he was at Venlo where he single handedly ran PSV off the field. Other than that, I've never been impressed. With that said, all credit must be given to the players and Okada for making that week(s) happen during the World Cup and thats the beauty of this game especially in tournaments. Its all about moments and thats exactly what we got from our players. So lets not pretend like we should be in the same category as England just because of this World Cup.

In terms of domestisc league, it'll be top 10 for me but I can see why people think its not. We would 100% be top 10 (also top 10 for NT) if we were basing this on how good we are by ourselves but we all know the better team doesn't always win. I would love to see Kashima play at the Reebok. Kashima is the better team but they would probably get spanked and complain about them being too physical. But if they played at home in front of their friendly supporters behind them, they would probably win comfortably. So it all depends how you look at it.

There's more than one correct answer in soccer. No need to go prove people anything. Especially nations like Japan who a lot of people admire.

4. SkyPiercer

SkyPiercer Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Algeria

And so what ?

The third best South American League. It's as simple as that. :eek:

Not by a huge amount but I still rate it lower.

Eredivisie worsened a lot. I won't talk about the 70's and the 80's as the current one is at years light behind that level but only the late '90/early '00 and today's level, when was the last time a Dutch league had a successful European campaign ? (Final/title).
    Defenses are a joke, each week you hear about those ridiculous rugby scores in favor of the big teams there, their strikers quickly build an insane goalscoring record and they come and tell us how awesome they're, well many of them were just terrible outside of their weak Dutch league. (Kezman and few others come to mind).

Even a lazy slug like Hirayama - who's struggling to find the nets in J-League - had a fairly successful season there.

It's still a good option for Japanese footballers since :

- It's not a very difficult league (easier to succeed there and make an impact).
    - Has many common characteristics of the Japanese game.
    - The coverage by medias is better and the league is much more scouted than J-League by big teams from better leagues.

But I think it's only good as transitional/temporary destination, if the main purpose of our J-Leaguers is to spend the vast majority of their career there, I would rather see them staying in Japan.

Fair enough, but it's time to move forward. We're getting close to the symbolic 1/4 of a century of professional football there, we gotta be more aggressive, more ambitious. And I would prefer if some ideas stay actually in Europe and won't make their way to J-League such as the teams without national identity (Arsenal, Inter...), fixed games/corrupt referees (Serie A) and so.

J-League itself is a model for us, countries which just launched projects of professional leagues/clubs.

Well, I never said that J-league clubs were wealthier than European ones, I only said that J-League had many overpaid players.
    Like Urawa's ones for example.
    European clubs (thanks to their connections and the attractiveness of life there) can get a roughly similar quality while spending much less. Africans for example. The continent is plundered by European clubs, nothing but cheap labor. FIFA wants to restrict the movement since it's very harmful to local sport. We actually had to make an African Nations Cup specifically for domestic players since they had no chance of playing in the "real" one. Imagine two Asian Cups : One with 95 % of players playing outside of Asia and an other one with only domestic players (J-Leaguers and so).
    To get back to the subject, do you think Takahara and Ponte (to name just those) would get the money they're earning if they return to Europe ? No chance in hell and that's actually what I was saying.

I agree and disagree. Twente would have been a very good choice as he would have an opportunity to play the CL and shine there but they must understand they can't get players of his quality for two sacks of potatoes. :rolleyes:
    When I think about the transfer fee payed by Dortmund for Kagawa I can't help but feel depressed. It's nothing but pure robbery !! :eek: He worths a LOT more than that, if he was Brazilian they would have offered at the very least 10 times more money just to draw his attention and make him sit at a negotiation's table. I am happy for the player but I feel that Cerezo wasn't rewarded enough for developing such a good player, they might even face relegation after his departure.

5. goru_no_ura

goru_no_ura Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Miyako of Zipang
    Club:
    Sanfrecce Hiroshima FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

Please start a new thread about "how does japanese soccer compares to the rest of the world." We're really off-topic here, and this is not going to be a short discussion... :rolleyes:

6. scotch17

scotch17 Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Entebbe
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

All that was said is that Japan is top-20, maybe 15.
    Nobody ever claimed JLeague is better or even on par with EPL or other power leagues. Though it was pointed out that, at this WC, Japan NT did better than a few of the traditional powerhouses... which is true and an indication that Japan is improving.
    And yet, still, all that's been said is that Japan is top-20, maybe 15.

This is what I don't get, because nobody has built JLeague or Japan NT up to more than it is. Top-20 seems like a perfectly reasonable assessment to me.
    But apparently it struck a nerve with this guy, and it was rather obvious to me that he was here to defend Europe's honor -- especially England, since he always came back to making excuses for them. I'd say he was the one building crap European leagues, like 15-ranked SPL, and perennially over-rated NTs, like England, to be better than they are and being very defensive about it.
    The rest of us just tore his poor arguments to shreds.

7. nsato

nsato Member

Oct 11, 2009

Sorry Goru last one.

I'm no English teacher or anything but it seems to me like his main point was "while Japan is definitely not a third world soccer team anymore as a NT and in Japan, you can not compare them to Italian, French, and especially English soccer. They are no-where close." Why he brought this obvious up, I'll never know...but he is right. It's just that he's reasonings are wrong. Why people correct his wrong reasonings to compare England and Japan when his main point is right, I'll never know either...except to defend ourselves and prove something to them.

When he said "While what you are trying to say is correct, some of the examples you are using seem a little skewed.", I don't think he was talking about the rank. I think he was talking about the other numbers Goru talked about. He never talks about the rank even in his second post.

8. Matsu

Matsu Member

Mar 28, 2001

The problem with this statement is that it is saying one (inaccurate) thing but intending to mean a different (accurate) thing. "Italian football" is more than just the two Roman and the two Milan teams. "English football" is a lot more than Man U, Man C, Chelsea Arsenal and Liverpool. If you have been reading the English sports press lately, this is even something that folks in the UK are starting to recognize.

The comment that J.League teams are "nowhere close to" the likes of Roma, AC or Inter Milan, Barcelona, ManU, Chelsea, Bayern, etc is absolutely accurate, and I dont think anyone here thinks otherwise (if anyone did, THEN the guy's comments about "out of touch" and "overhyping the J.League" would be a bit more justified).

The problem, as the British sports journos are now discussing in intense detail, is that the EPL consists of more than just six clubs. When you start talking about "English football", the comment also includes teams like Hull City and Burnley. Because of that, the standard of play in 60-70% of the matches that take place each year is pathetic. The only time players face a real challenge are when they face one of the other elites. That simply isnt often enough to develop a competitive degree of skill (no, thats not *MY*opinion, Im quoting directly from Stewart Robson and Henry Winter).

Im sorry if Im stepping on anyone's toes here, but I watched Hull City play six or seven times last season, and lets face it, if they were dumped into the J.League they would be VERY hard pressed to avoid relegation. Anyone who disagrees with that statement should just take it elsewhere. . . First of all because this is the Japan board, not the World rivalries board. And second (and more importantly) because Ive spent a half-century watching football - most of that European football - and I dont need anyone to give me lessons on how to judge competitive quality. Sure, there is a tier of teams in Europe that is head and shoulders above ANY J.League team. And the gap is fairly wide.

But the gap between ManU and Hull City, or between Milan and Lecce is even wider.

9. dluffy10

dluffy10 New Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC

Hello

I'm 15 now, now i'm playing at some academy here in Thailand

When i'm 18 my dad is planning to send me to study university there

can you name some of the good university for football and learning

in tokyo or anywhere in Kanto region where i can get scouted

Also can you advice me some of the best ways to get scouted to J-1,
    J-2, or JFL rather than playing in University team.

10. goru_no_ura

goru_no_ura Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Miyako of Zipang
    Club:
    Sanfrecce Hiroshima FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

Can you read some Japanese, or can you get help?
    If you can, here:
    http://college-soccer.com/

I believe you can perhaps ask for a tryout with J1 or J2 youth clubs if you can prove you have somehow superior skills (youth NT, etc.), but in general (and I am a High School coach here in Japan) I advice against it.

There are two brothers in Marinos and Sanga. Kazuma and Daigo Watanabe. They both play professional soccer in J1, but the first also has a university degree...

Which one you think will be better off when they retire...?
    Get an education and a degree as well!

Good luck!! :)

PS = BTW, There are some high schools in Japan with good international programs AND soccer, if you want to come earlier. My school has a student from Nepal, and he's in the soccer team. If you need more info, gorunoura@japanesesoccer.net

11. dluffy10

dluffy10 New Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC

Sry i cant read japanese i'm taiwanese

can u give me english website :)

12. Vendo Thefastlane

Jul 16, 2009
    Mito, Ibaraki
    Club:
    --other--

Sorry... It's going to be really tough in that case, as you wouldn't be able to actually study in the soccer club's university itself...

13. Matsu

Matsu Member

Mar 28, 2001

You guys are getting lazy.
    Is it really that easy to fool you these days? :rolleyes:

Hi Mr. Taiwanese kid playing for an academy in Thailand who just registered to BigSoccer 12 hours ago but already knows how to search old threads in order to find one that is suitable, and thus make sure your post does not look as blatantly "socklike" as it might otherwise appear. Your ruse wasnt bad, but you slipped up on the "Chelsea fan" bit. No kid in Thailand would ever publicly admit to being a fan of any club outside the Manchester-Liverpool area

My advice to you is that you just ask Mr. Raksriaksorn to sign you up to play for Leicester City. You can make friends with Yuke Abi, and he can recommend you to a J.League club. Thats probably the most efficient way of getting into a J.League club.

:rolleyes:

14. dluffy10

dluffy10 New Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC

What do you mean by "wouldn't be able to actually study in the soccer club's itself"

PS: Matsu if you dunt have anything to write jus keep it shut

15. SamuraiBlue2002

SamuraiBlue2002 Member+

Dec 20, 2008
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

You can get an undergraduate degree at Waseda in English. It's located in Shinjuku.

They also have a soccer team, but you have to pass an exam to get in.

16. dluffy10

dluffy10 New Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC

about the exam is it the exam that you need to take to get in the university

17. SamuraiBlue2002

SamuraiBlue2002 Member+

Dec 20, 2008
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

Yea

Here's all the info you should need

http://www.waseda.jp/seikei/seikei/english/admission/admission03.html

I have no idea how difficult this stuff is. Waseda is a pretty big Uni in Japan though so it probably isn't easy.

Almost every single Uni in Japan has their own entrance exam so study up!

18. artml

artml Member

Liverpool FC
    Ukraine
    Jul 11, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--

Why? I'm just curious.

19. Bass0r

Bass0r Member

Jan 18, 2009
    Tokyo/N. Velidhoo
    Club:
    Urawa RD
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia

Ignore him, he's only saying that because United and Liverpool are the two biggest teams in terms of popularity in South East Asia. There are still plenty of people who support other teams, but they're heavily outnumbered, particularly by Liverpool fans.

It's not like he's "publicly admitting" anything. It's a forum and unless his real name is dluffy10 and everyone he knows is also on this forum, well... you get the idea.

Matsu - and I say this in the kindest possible words, of course - I suggest finding the stick that was lodged up your arse last night and throwing it away for good. Just because you don't like this thread - and you've already made that quite clear - doesn't mean nobody should be able to discuss it. You're not an admin here; if you don't like it, ignore it. Simple solution.

20. goru_no_ura

goru_no_ura Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Miyako of Zipang
    Club:
    Sanfrecce Hiroshima FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

OK, I gave my humble contribution, as I think that it is always good to try to help people - every week I reply to three or four requests like this I receive via email.

I would like to ask the members of this forum to please...

1) Do not insult others, and if you really have to, use irony. As you can see, there are young users around, and we don't want them to think that here we speak like drunk sailors.

2) If you want to play/tryout in Japan, before you post here, READ THE WHOLE THREAD. And I mean it.

3) Reply to requests of help only if you have something positive to add. That trying-out in Japan is hard, and to become a pro here for a foreigner almost impossible has already been said in the post.

As soon as I have time (Christmas...?) I will take all the contents of this post and, with Vendo and Matsu's permission, will edit all into an article we can put on the RSN, so that we can point those who want to come to play in japan to that, which will be mroe practical than having to read the whole thread.

Thanks!! :)

21. goru_no_ura

goru_no_ura Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Miyako of Zipang
    Club:
    Sanfrecce Hiroshima FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

In my hometown of Kyoto, both Doshisha and Ritsumeikan are very good universities for Soccer.

In general it is NOT hard to get into a Japanese university for a foreign student. That doesn't mean that ANYBODY could get in, but in general Japanese

Universities are desperate for foreign students. being good at soccer would definitely help.

Ritsumeikan soccer team has 90 players, divided in teams A, B, C and D.
    A is the top team. VERY GOOD freshmen start from team C, sometimes (rarely) B.

Starting from team A is in general almost impossible, and that is true in most universities. An exception is Usui, former Yamanashi HS player who made it directly into Komazawa's A team this season.

22. Matsu

Matsu Member

Mar 28, 2001

Look - I <b>MAY</b> be wrong . . . . It has happened before.

However, when I look at a person's profile, discover that they registered to BigSoccer a mere hour or two before posting their first message ever on BigSoccer, on a thread that had slipped to page 3 or 4, and yet despite being a complete newbie and by his own indication a 15-year-old expat, he didnt just jump in with a post on the first page entitled "Hi Im from Thailand - Want to tryout for JLeague", he instead managed to find the old thread and with his very FIRST POST EVER on Big Soccer, revived the walking dead . . .

. . . . I tend to get suspicious.

TBH, I STILL have not seen any clear indication WHATSOEVER to prove that this person is who they say they are. If he is legit, then he is "only" a naiive kid wasting his time asking for information that will never do him any good (and if thats the case, I cant help but wonder why he ended up on BigSoccer asking for the info, rather than . . .

http://www.studyjapan.go.jp/en/toj/toj01e.html

or

http://www.jasso.go.jp/study_j/index_e.html

or even . . .

http://admissions.apu.ac.jp/?gclid=CO3tpYmy9KQCFQIdbgodl2heig )

Otherwise, he is a troll who has succeeded in jerking you around for close to an entire page, and is laughing his ass off at the ruckus he has managed to cause.

My wife spent over a decade working for one of the organizations that funnels overseas students to Japanese universities, so I am "slightly" familiar with the territory. As Gora indicated, schools are DYING to find some students to enroll at full tuition, regardless of how much Japanese they can speak. You cant swing a cat in a study abroad fair in Thailand (or any other country for that matter) and not knock down a half-dozen reps from Japanese universities who are looking to enroll students. If this kid REALLY is interested in going to university in Japan, he doesnt need to go to BigSoccer, take the trouble REGISTER A BRAND NEW PROFILE, spend time searching old threads, and post a question on the thread from hell. A google search will turn up several THOUSAND links that will be far more useful.

So now that I have provided THREE links that will be more useful to the guy (if he is legit) than anything ANY of you other people managed to provide, I think I have the right to ask you, in all kindness and generosity, to please go #u<k yourself.

23. Bass0r

Bass0r Member

Jan 18, 2009
    Tokyo/N. Velidhoo
    Club:
    Urawa RD
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia

I won't bother replying to any of that, other than saying I take it you didn't read Goru's second-last post.

Well done.

24. Matsu

Matsu Member

Mar 28, 2001

Why? Because it makes too much sense?

Obviously. Because when reading the thread sequentially I came to your gratuitous insult first, and responded to it before reading any further.

Now that I have read it I will say this:

Some people may think that coddling every clueless ingénue who shows up asking pointless questions is the best way to handle the situation. If so, knock yourself out. Personally I think it is much more productive to whack every person who makes such an inquiry in the face with scorn and sarcasm. Because lets face it, if they cant handle a rough welcome on a message board, they have less than a snowball's chance in Tahiti of ever making it in Japan. Theyre going to face a helluva lot more scorn, sarcasm and outright persecution once they get to Japan before they have any hope whatsoever of actually getting anywhere. Personally, Im convinced this poster is a troll, and until I hear something remotely concrete, such as the name of this "some academy in Thailand" that he attends, an address in Thailand that seems legitimate, or some other explanation of he he ended up here instead of on a site that would be a far more logical place to search for a Japanese university, Im going to continue to operate on that assumption.

On the other hand, as anyone who actually knows me will confirm, if this kid DOES exist other than as a figment of some troll's imagination, if he DOES have a thick enough skin to put up with rough language and being given the third degree on his personal background, and if he DOES actually intend to study in Japan, then I am the sort of person who would bend over backwards to help him actually get somewhere.

Despite the haughty attitude displayed by all you "helpful" people who posted, the only ones who provided any information that is actually useful to him, for applying to a Japanese uni, were me and to a slightly lesser extent, Goru and Vendo. I not only CAN offer him some useful support, but I actually WOULD do so if he actually proves to me that he isnt just a troll causing trouble. Thats a helluva lot more than I can say for the lazy ass who sits at his keyboard and insults others but cant lift a finger to actually do anything to help anyone except themselves.

If you dont like the way I deal with people who inquire about these issues, tough. The simple fact is that my advice (and based on past experience - my approach as well) is far more useful to the people who have asked questions on this thread than anything you could EVER provide. Youre free to continue to approach it your way if thats what you want, but dont kid yourself that youre actually helping anyone.

And the next time you insult me for no legitimate reason, youll discover that up to now, youve only seen my "polite side"

25. Bass0r

Bass0r Member

Jan 18, 2009
    Tokyo/N. Velidhoo
    Club:
    Urawa RD
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia

No, I wasn't bothering replying because it would've been as long-winded and pointless as your replies.

Here's a tip: Go to Google.com and search the words "Japanese soccer tryout"
    Is the first result this thread? Because that's what happened to me when I did that search a mere twenty seconds ago.
    It's REALLY not hard to come up with easy answers that would be, in your words, "concrete."

Give up the tough guy act. It's not going to help you at all. I seriously suggest you take heed to Goru's advice and stop. You shouldn't be invincible on this forum, just because you're friends with Goru, just like I nor anyone else should have any such privilege here. This isn't your website; stop acting otherwise.