Re: REVS CONTENT (Wahl ranking Revs DEAD Last in FO/Ownership Ambition)

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by RevsFanDan, Dec 24, 2011.

1. RevsFanDan

RevsFanDan Member

May 24, 2005
    North Shore
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This has every right to be on this board because it is the ONE Piece that a MAJOR Soccer writer, by his own standard has placed the Revs AMBITION factor.

And even though I am a TRUE BLUE Kraft Basher, beginning 16 years ago, not last week. There is a lot of merit in Grant's article. Say what you will about places 2-18. That, at the very least can be debated. But taking everything that's occurred over the past 16 years, our placing at number 19! Is, was and will be spot on!!!

Grant Wahl on SI.com ... "MLS Team Ambition Rankings."

Quote:
    19. NEW ENGLAND

No fan base sends me more complaints about its own team ownership than New England's. The Revs play in an NFL stadium far from any city, and any hopes for an urban soccer stadium in Boston remain talk and little more. Spending some money to make Shalrie Joseph a DP has been the exception to the rule in New England. Winning seems terribly important to the Kraft family when it comes to the New England Patriots, but how much do the Krafts care about the Revolution?

AND PS. Don't attack any poster individually and it won't be CLOSED!

2. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Especially this...

3. SeñorFutbol

SeñorFutbol Member

Feb 15, 2006
    Fyp

4. TheLostUniversity

Los Angeles Galaxy
    Feb 4, 2007
    Greater Boston
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What is deeply depressing [well, one of that which is deeply depressing] is that even with this lack of ambition we did manage to build a very very fine team in the mid 00's. A team which, with a modestly high level of ambition from our FO [Say, Salt Lake. Nevermind LA's or Seattle's] could have established itself as one of the strongest teams in Concacaf and a perennial MLS power. A team which, with a reasonable modicum of ambition [say, Chicago Fire] could have sustained itself as one of the consistent challengers for the Cup and a strong representative in international play. A team which, with a smidgeon of ambition [say, the Hunt owned teams] would at least have been a consistently strong, composed, playoff side.
    But we had/have an ownership of zero ambition for the team, and a front office of the ignorant or the idiotic or the indifferent. It would have taken abysmal lack of ambition to squander the position we were in......and yet it was so squandered.
    What a shame.

And so a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to us all.

5. IRguy

IRguy Member

Sep 28, 2004
    Vermont
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just a quick reply to Patfan1 from the other thread regrading his comment about only disagreeing with the rankings because it had the Revs at the bottom. If you look at my posts on this topic i did not even bring up the Revs once, in fact, i don't have any problem with the Revs being at the bottom of this list or any other list after last season. My point is this is just a list of teams who have been hot in the media for the last 3 or 4 months and is no reflections of a teams overall ambition.

6. NE till i die

NE till i die Member+

Jun 26, 2010
    Stoughton, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's no tiebreaker for last place this time. We win fair and square.

7. RevsFanDan

RevsFanDan Member

May 24, 2005
    North Shore
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ownership and FO in my opinion is fair game. They are the specific topic we discuss here along with the team tactics or lack thereof and the players and their ability.

I have no problem with anyone attacking my post as biased, moronic and sensational. When I post something, I'm hoping to get a rise out of someone. And in the end I know for a fact, there will be bleeding heart Kraft supporters who will defend him till the last field goal...err final whistle.

I'm only hoping that eventually even if you believe with all your heart that I'm dead wrong. You'll come to understand, not necessarily, agree with my position. That Kraft is bad for this team, this league and most importantly for This Sport.

If not. Doesn't anyone wonder why I'm so positively against, detest and abhor Kraft and his minions??? I've never met him and have never had any personal dealings with him. Yet, I press the soccer journalists whenever I can. To look into our team and reason why our area is dead last in MLS passion.

8. SeñorFutbol

SeñorFutbol Member

Feb 15, 2006
    I agree with the above 100%.

This is the place the attack the ineptitude of the Revs organization top to bottom. Ideally this would be possible without other posters personally attacking each other, but I understand folks are entitled to their own opinions and are passionate about the team and soccer in this country.

Looking forward to reading more discussion from all in 2012.

9. Kraft Out

Kraft Out Member+

Aug 2, 2010
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    With my vast business knowledge, and superior intelligence to you all, I can safely tell you that Bob Kraft is not a savvy businessman, and that the Revs aren't being run as a smart business.

There, I win.

10. Crooked

Crooked Member+

May 1, 2005
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Must spread rep.

11. JDEsq09

JDEsq09 Member

Apr 12, 2011
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Disagree. If Kraft were to invest in a new SSS like so many Revs fans desire, he would creating a problem in filling Gillette Stadium during the NFL off-season, and also filling the new SSS during the MLS off-season.

Also, an urban SSS means less people visiting Patriot Place. Why would Kraft support the Revs if it would hurt Gillette Stadium and Patriot Place?

It is just as probable that Kraft determined that moving the Revs out of Foxboro will be a net financial loss for him.

12. Kraft Out

Kraft Out Member+

Aug 2, 2010
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    It's interesting that you chose to make examples of things that I didn't specify in my post. I'm glad you wasted as much of your own time as you usually do with everyone else's

13. SeñorFutbol

SeñorFutbol Member

Feb 15, 2006
    Wouldn't that be maintaining the current status quo..i.e. his current business model?

14. RevsFanDan

RevsFanDan Member

May 24, 2005
    North Shore
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've always said this. As a fan of the Revs, MLS and the game, separation from Pats, Gillette and suburbia. But as far as the business Kraft would indeed be dumb to spend the money just to say bub-bye to a dozen or so thousand potential customers to his beloved man mall.

Kraft is not into the Revs for the love of the sport. Ergo, would be quite foolish with grand kids money if he did more than nothing with the Revs and wait for some future payday.

And this is why I can't stand Kraft!!

15. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He would have Concerts and big name soccer games in Foxboro with no MLS schedule to complicate the scheduling.

16. eric_appleby

eric_appleby Member+

Jun 11, 1999
    Down East
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I agree with you JD. All talk of a SSS is pure smokescreen. The Revo will be in Gilette as long as Kraft owns the team.

17. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you are willing to venture a six-pack that is a bet I would be glad to take :D

18. JDEsq09

JDEsq09 Member

Apr 12, 2011
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    This thread is about the Revs' lack of ambition as it was portrayed by Grant Wahl which includes the lack of an SSS.

I think I was at least on topic by discussing why building an SSS may not be in Kraft's financial interest, which is related to the topic of whether Kraft is a savvy businessman.

Finally, you wrote that I chose to make examples of things you didn't specify in your post. Besides the fact that the world does not revolve around Kraft Out, your previous post didn't provide any examples at all. You merely wrote that a) you have vast business knowledge, b) you have superior intellect, and therefore conclude that c) Kraft is not a savvy businessman.

19. JDEsq09

JDEsq09 Member

Apr 12, 2011
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    First, I don't think the current MLS schedule is too prohibitive of concerts at Gillette Stadium. However, if the Revs leave Foxboro, that are 17 extra days of an unoccupied stadium.

Second, there are also so many opportunities for "big name soccer." An EPL/La Liga team will only play 1 exhibition game locally, and there is only a limited opportunity for USMNT games too.

20. eric_appleby

eric_appleby Member+

Jun 11, 1999
    Down East
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'll be happy to take the bet Doc. But how many years of status quo will you give them before you pay off?

21. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's hard to set a drop dead date but (going with my usual positive thinking best case scenario :D) I think we will hear of the selected location in 2012 and play in our new 24K stadium in the 2015 season.

There I'm on record 27 Dec 2011

22. TheLostUniversity

Los Angeles Galaxy
    Feb 4, 2007
    Greater Boston
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pauvre Doc :(:D

23. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Brave, Doc, brave. Some would say ludicrous. If there was a Revs' Board Medal for Bravery you would win it. You already sweep the annual KAD of the Year voting. ;)

I'll be on record saying that will not happen.

However, if you're right and we're all wrong (literally, I probably speak for everyone reading this post outside the Revs' org KADs), then I will be first in line to happily eat crow.

24. RevsRule

RevsRule Member+

NE Revs, LAFC
    Jun 9, 1999
    N. Eastern, Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe if he loses enough money and plays to 2-3K per game in the morgue, he'll dump the team to someone that cares.

Its a shame to watch soccer in NE go down the tubes because of an apathetic owner. We could be a Portland if we had a real stadium and a team worth cheering for

25. Kraft Out

Kraft Out Member+

Aug 2, 2010
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    haha you still don't get it.