Re-Entry Draft

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by OSCrew, Dec 3, 2012.

1. DAK77

DAK77 Member+

Nov 10, 2008
    Merion Village, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unless I'm not getting where this is going I would think the big difference between them is that the Crew can have Danny personally stop my and talk to the kids face to face where the other they could not, except Guille and his academy.

2. Kayak

Kayak Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Columbus
    :rolleyes:

I get where you were coming from, and I get your point, obviously Birchall isn't Beckham either. What I was saying was I can't imagine why kids would want to emulate offensive players and not a defensive midfielder. Curious don't you think?

3. DAK77

DAK77 Member+

Nov 10, 2008
    Merion Village, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess it depends on the age of the kid. When the kids are real young I think they want to emulate whoever gets the most air time. I know when I was in high school the people players talked about changed. I saw a young Ryan Giggs (I was a left footed midfield/forward) and Peter Beardsly and wanted to be like them and all the defenders were always talking about Alexi Lalas.

FYI- This was the early to mid 90's in eastern Ohio so there was not all that much soccer on TV to watch.

4. eclipse02

eclipse02 Member

Sep 20, 2009
    Scratch off Segares off your wish list because he just resigned with Sh!tcago.
    http://www.soccerbyives.net/2012/12/fire-re-sign-segares-to-multi-year-deal.html

Looks like Williams will be stuck at LB unless the Crew can find one overseas, through the superdraft, Duka Trade, or in NASL or USL-Pro.

TrueCrew repped this.
  5. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. JB the First

JB the First Member

Apr 28, 2009
    Texas
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    $210,000 was a bit steep of a price for him. That's more than Miranda and Williams's salaries combined. He's a good player, but I don't know if his impact on the game from that position warrants such a high salary. It'll be interesting to see what that number was negotiated to.

7. SourCream&OnionUtd

Nov 19, 1998
    I think both Kemp and Cochrane would be decent options in the superdraft if they're available. Not as starters of course, but to provide depth and someone to groom. I've been particularly impressed with Cochrane the last two years when I've seen him.

8. eclipse02

eclipse02 Member

Sep 20, 2009
    I know Gardner from Ohio State is a junior plays leftback and could be a HG next year.

9. Kayak

Kayak Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Columbus
    With Kemp's injuries this season and that he's now a senior he'll drop to the late first round to early second. I'm hoping we go after him because we could use some competition at the left back spot.

10. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2nd stage go after Wynne.

11. SourCream&OnionUtd

Nov 19, 1998
    He's no longer on the list as of this evening

12. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh wow you're right.

13. eclipse02

eclipse02 Member

Sep 20, 2009
    What about Ward?

14. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We're screwed either way. Hope we don't turn into Portland/Chivas because it's looking likely.

15. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    We could go after Tyrone Marshall but we would have to double the groundskeeper salary.

My guess is we will have to look outside this draft if we want to upgrade our defense.

16. patricksp

patricksp 91.9 Crew Fan Rating

Nov 4, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tchani was taken off the list.

17. WhiteHartShame

WhiteHartShame Member+

Nov 16, 2008
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bottom line is that we need to pick up some quality, experienced defenders. Who would be our starting four defenders now that Julius, Miranda, Vukovich are gone? We only have 3 defenders on the roster , 4 if Mendes re-signs. With Chad Marshall's injury /concussion issues who knows how long he will be playing and if he can regain his form. That leaves us with Williams (solid), Mendes (if re-signed, solid), and Gehrig (scary).

Tyrone Marshall and Segares might be options. What about Andrew Boyens? He's a big center back who has bounced around alot (4 MLS teams in the last 5 yrs.). From what I remember he is a strong defender. Why does he keep getting let go by teams?

18. BrickStreetBoy

Oct 3, 2012
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    That means we resigned him to either trade or keep correct?

19. Kayak

Kayak Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Columbus
    I hope we traded his rights, it never sounded like he was very good for the lockerroom.

20. crewfan_in_columbus

Feb 25, 2001
    Columbus is home
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Relaaaaaxxxxxx....... Why do we need more defenders? We have Williams.

chr1st repped this.
  21. eclipse02

eclipse02 Member

Sep 20, 2009
    If so it looks like DC.

22. eclipse02

eclipse02 Member

Sep 20, 2009
    Segares is off the list.

23. Kayak

Kayak Member+

Feb 16, 2007