Re-Entry Draft

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by OSCrew, Dec 3, 2012.

1. Tycon5

Tycon5 Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is the internet, you don't need facts here.

2. JB the First

JB the First Member

Apr 28, 2009
    Texas
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You also have to consider that Danny can play on the back line, which gives him added value. Birchall is pretty much a one-trick pony, despite Warzycha's dreams of him being a winger.

3. Psycho_Derek

Psycho_Derek Member+

Nov 18, 2005
    I am not sure, as Birchall came mid-season his option may be more.

4. Psycho_Derek

Psycho_Derek Member+

Nov 18, 2005
    I fyou think that Danny is MLS quality center back then fine. I don't. He may be able to "fill in" but we would have to be down to bare bones if he is ever started there.

5. JB the First

JB the First Member

Apr 28, 2009
    Texas
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's a decent fill-in at full back, too. And by all impressions, it sounds like he's one of our leaders in the locker room, and he's a guy that's been around for a while, so he's still a link to the good ol' days.

I said he can play on the back line, I didn't say he's any good. I'm trying to think this through from the FO's perspective.

6. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Likely--and we know for sure that as a DP, Higuain has a cap hit twice that of last year (as he will be here for the whole season). That has to have an impact. I think it's $350K or has it gone up?

7. cam5fc

cam5fc Member+

Sep 23, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good points. I completely forgot about Danny being out of contract. As far as player pickups being a responsibility of the TD, yes, I agree, but he still has to work within the confines of RW's vision for the team - limited as that is. I'm sure that there is discussion between them on that vision, but it still ends up being RW's vision nonetheless.

8. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And he's local. I would not discount that. He might take a lower salary to play at home and he's valuable in a PR sense because he's local.

9. KHT_Crew

KHT_Crew Member+

Mar 29, 2003
    Queen City, OH
    "Hey Columbus! Come see Worthington's own Danny O'Rourke at the Crew's Pine Ridin' Days festivities!"

When you have Frankie roaming the metro area in his capacity, DO'R as a PR tool is minimal. I still see us bringing him back at a reduced rate because he can fill-in at either CB position, DM or (in case of Mayan Apocalypse) LB/RB. As mentioned, not great but serviceable for a game or two if somebody takes a knock in some of those positions and still provides that veteran leadership in the locker room.

10. cam5fc

cam5fc Member+

Sep 23, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Honestly, I don't know that he's THAT big of a PR bump because he's local. I could be wrong, but with the homegrown stuff, I think that impact has been minimized.

11. Psycho_Derek

Psycho_Derek Member+

Nov 18, 2005
    I can see why DoR would be kept, but I just hope that it was not at the expense of Birchall. I am sure there were more factors involved than a straight DoR vs Birchall decision.

12. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Perhaps--but he's also an example to the homegrowns that a local kid can make it. Still, since he's local, the Crew might be able to sign him more cheaply than a guy like Birchall, who *can* go to the U.K. and make decent money as he doesn't have to worry about a work permit.

13. Psycho_Derek

Psycho_Derek Member+

Nov 18, 2005
    The whole work permit thing really irks you doesn't it?

14. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Eh?? Just pointing out that Birchall has more options in a better paying environment than Danny does--and everyone knows that. So I'd expect the Crew to try to keep Danny on the cheap. Easier than trying to keep Birchall, as he'd be able to command more money given his options.

15. DAK77

DAK77 Member+

Nov 10, 2008
    Merion Village, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it's more of Danny going to local soccer camps and showing the kids that they can make it to the big leagues, too. Danny helps show the kids that they can do it more than a guy with an accent from a different country.

16. crewfan_in_columbus

Feb 25, 2001
    Columbus is home
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Birchall > DO'R ergo Birchall's Salary > DO'R's Salary
    Which is EXACTLY the reason we'll pursue DO'R.

17. Psycho_Derek

Psycho_Derek Member+

Nov 18, 2005
    wow. really?

18. cam5fc

cam5fc Member+

Sep 23, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah. Beckham sucks. :)

19. DAK77

DAK77 Member+

Nov 10, 2008
    Merion Village, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, really. You don't think a kid from Worthington would relate to someone from the same town more so than someone from a different country?

20. crewfan_in_columbus

Feb 25, 2001
    Columbus is home
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No kids on my youth teams were yelling "Tackle like Danny!!" They were all referencing Schelloto or Messi, C. Ronaldo, or even Rooney at times. But not O'Rourke.

21. Psycho_Derek

Psycho_Derek Member+

Nov 18, 2005
    weird, I was thinking of the "beckham effect".

Dak77. but that was not your original point. You compared DoR to "a guy with an accent from a different country". That's not the same as saying DoR vs a guy from another city, which is what you said in response.

22. Kayak

Kayak Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Columbus
    I think a local guy inspiring kids isn't completely ridiculous, I agree that kids can look up to foreign players, however this comparison is just specious. I can't imagine what the main difference between these guys and Danny O is? Could it be goals?

23. Psycho_Derek

Psycho_Derek Member+

Nov 18, 2005
    haircut

24. DAK77

DAK77 Member+

Nov 10, 2008
    Merion Village, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was my original point but maybe it didn't come across that way.

25. crewfan_in_columbus

Feb 25, 2001
    Columbus is home
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If goals is your barometer, then you could also replace any of the aforementioned players with "Hesmer".

Skeleton Crew repped this.