Re-Entry Draft

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by OSCrew, Dec 3, 2012.

1. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He reminds me of Zusi a bit. It took him a couple years and the right system to fully realize his potential. I am hoping the same is true for Duka.

2. Skeleton Crew

Skeleton Crew Member+

Mar 20, 2009
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Duka is a CM.

Of course we play him on the left...you know, he is more responsible there.

3. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hartman is the kind of guy you could bring in with a 50/50 contract to back up The HH and coach the keepers. Great clubhouse guy who is (likely) looking down the road at the next career step but in a tough spot like coming down the stretch in a playoff drive you could toss him in there and not lose a thing.

(My favorite "how to pick a national team" story is from 2002 when Arena took Tony Meola as his 3rd GK. Everybody thought he was nuts, since there were at least six guys better, mostly Timmy Howard. But the bottom line was that if it got down to needing your third keeper, it meant that a complete disaster had befallen the US and both Friedel and Keller had gone down. In that case, with 50 billion people watching on worldwide TV and the fate of the team in the balance, who was the one man who would not crap his pants when you told him to pull on his gloves and get out there? Surely not Howard or anyone else, who'd be having a stroke; Meola was the best choice by a mile and a half.)

Aside from that, it's fascinating to see all the guys that everybody drooled over at the draft ending up on the scrap heap. Half the damn 2010 draft first round (Philly - the day my car got broken into in a surface lot in broad daylight) is on that list except for Mwanga.

Well, and Bright Dike.

And I'm certain this is utterly ridiculous but I'm going to say it anyway: I'd bring in Ale Moreno in a heartbeat. He'd work cheap, sit without complaining, come in and give you some production and, frankly, we've had lots worse guys as our fourth or fifth offensive options lately.

LOTS worse.

eboe repped this.
  4. JB the First

JB the First Member

Apr 28, 2009
    Texas
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not so sure about this anymore. I used to be in that camp, but his defense was atrocious last season.

5. JB the First

JB the First Member

Apr 28, 2009
    Texas
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gavin, Bone, and Schilawski were the guys we all wanted that year when we ended up with Dike. Shows what we know. But hey! we can pick them up in the Re-Entry Draft!

My favorite storyline from the 2010 draft is Sean Johnson. You have to hand it to Chicago for convincing the league to sign him to a GA contract when no one else in the league thought he was even worthy of a 3rd round pick, then taking him in the 4th. He's the only 2010 4th rounder left on an MLS roster, and Chicago is just now starting to pay him.

6. patricksp

patricksp 91.9 Crew Fan Rating

Nov 4, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bill I thought Moreno had a falling out with RW or the FO when he was put on the Allocation list and left unprotected.

7. SourCream&OnionUtd

Nov 19, 1998
    Exactly, which is why I would seriously consider bringing him in and might even trade up if necessary to do it. Look at his CV. Two-time MLS Cup winner, two-time Open Cup winner, four-time Western Conf Championship winner, two-time Supporters' Shield winner. Holds many records within the league for goalkeepers, overall all-time appearance leader.

Most importantly, his teams are usually involved in the playoff picture. The guy is just a consummate pro and a winner, pure and simple. I think you'll be hard pressed to find anyone around the league with a bad word to say about him.

That said, this appears to be the best crop of players available yet in this re-entry thingy, so I can see reasons for a number of players being potentially selected. And I do expect we'll make use of it, it seems like we've attempted to do so as much or more than any other team in the league thus far.

8. JB the First

JB the First Member

Apr 28, 2009
    Texas
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not to mention the fact that he's still a starting-caliber keeper. But with that being the case, I wonder if someone like Vancouver, LA, or Chivas (if the Kennedy to LA move pans out) would make a move for him as a short-term solution with a longer term plan in mind.

9. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Goalkeeper is probably the one position on the field that's completely settled. Gruenebaum is a top-level guy, and Lampson has shown to be capable as well when needed. I wouldn't mind having a cheap Kevin Hartman on our club, but I wouldn't waste a re-entry draft pick on him when we've got other holes to fill. I'd rather take my chances on a forward or a midfielder.

10. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    New York really wanted Bone. (So many lines, so little time)

When he was picked late in the first, Backe - who had been the coach for about a day and had no Earthly idea wha the hell was going on - turned to Richie Williams and said "So who's this other guy you like?"

Turned out to be Tim Ream, who they took half a dozen or so picks later, early in the second. Much better pick, but of course he's now in Europe.

11. crewfan_in_columbus

Feb 25, 2001
    Columbus is home
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If anyone is serious in thinking that we'd take Ale or Hartman, you're smoking crack. Moreno had that falling out with RW after the 2009 playoff debacle that saw him benched with GBS. Then of course, the whole, "No one told me I was being left unprotected" deal....
    Hartman has too much leadership and authority to survive on a RW team. He does have some Newark area connections, although I forget exactly what they were.
    I would take a lot of people on that list, but I know that we won't. Bliss pretty much said as much in Jardy's blog on Monday. They want to get younger. Younger = Cheaper.
    At this point, I'm pretty down about next year. I'll be honest. I'm not very excited about it.

12. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

So in both cases the problem would be insufficient levels of deference and groveling to the omnipotent Rifle.

Problem is, I'm still anxiously waiting for some proof that Bob has the first damn clue. In what area has he shown superior skill? Drafting? Development? Tactics? Player relationships? Game day adjustments? What?

The deal in every sport is, and has always been, that you have to earn the trust of veteran players. The kids, sure, toe the line or hit the road. But guys who have been arund the block a few times don't just bow down and kiss your ring.

Maybe he'd like to do the world a favor and go punch Keith Laughlin in the face. Sure make a big fan out of me in a hurry.

Young teams don't win in MLS. Never have. If we go much younger than we already are - and stock up on more second team All Big Ten players in the process - it will only mean that management is not really serious about winning.

Shamrock Rovers repped this.
  13. JB the First

JB the First Member

Apr 28, 2009
    Texas
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Everyone harping pessimistically on the "getting cheaper" thing needs to remember that we don't save any money by being under the cap (unless there's something I'm missing about the convoluted MLS salary rules, which there probably is).

I think the gist of what the FO is saying is "we have some really good players that we think we can build around, but we don't have cap room to add any other high profile signings." Is that true? Who knows. I don't know exactly how much Higuain is getting. It sure as heck isn't $324,000

14. Skeleton Crew

Skeleton Crew Member+

Mar 20, 2009
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Actually i would venture he is making more than $324

Remember he only counted towards the cap at %50 last season since he arrived late. Wasnt that 180ish?

...based on my memory and not actual research.

15. StatesideSoccer

May 17, 2010
    Michigan
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Couldn't resist.

16. Kayak

Kayak Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Columbus
    We’ll see, here’s where I think we’re at
    We have 17 signed and we’re negotiating with O'Rourke, Renteria, and Mendes I know it’s anecdotal but these players have remained on the team’s roster page while Balchan, Birchall, and Miranda have been taken off. That leads me to believe the former three with be back.
    17+3=20
    I think it is likely that we sign at least the three seniors to homegrown contracts.
    20+3=23
    Assuming we keep at least our top two draft picks.
    23+2=25
    That takes us to 25 pretty easy without including the possibility of Miranda or others re-signing, Trapp or supplemental picks being added to the team. With 25 we only have five guys to go I don’t think we’ll see a ton of big spending this year.

17. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it's because the first three have expiring contracts with no option (otherwise they would be in the re-entry draft)--and as such they are still on the roster until Dec 31, when contracts expire. The latter three had options turned down--so they thus are no longer on the roster, though we can still negotiate with them up to a certain point.

18. Kayak

Kayak Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Columbus
    Yeah which is why I think there's a chance we'll re-sign someone else. Doesn't change my math though.
    Also grabbed this from Jardy to reinforce the math.
    So I still think we get to 25 pretty easily.

19. NewEnglandClamChowder

Jul 28, 2012
    The Eyetalian Village, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Not sure about the "you don't save money under the cap" part... TrueCrew mentioned that if you don't have 20 people on your "On-Budget" roster, you get charged 44k for unused spots - was that what you were thinking of? Or were you referring to weird MLS revenue-sharing junk?

Otherwise I agree - it seems like the cap would be more of an issue than shallow wallets. Obviously DP's are the notable exception to this, but I'll just stay thankful that we have even one. In fact, we had more 100k+ players (13) than LAG did (10), I'm guessing because their DP's chewed up a whole bunch of space.

Then again, TrueCrew's numbers make it look like we were actually under the cap last year... Does anyone know if that was the case? Also, conventional wisdom (the fact that we signed 3 mid/late-season players) would make it seem like we had cap room to play around with mid-season.

20. JB the First

JB the First Member

Apr 28, 2009
    Texas
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My understanding is that part of the single entity structure is that each team pays a set amount at the cap regardless of the actual salaries of their players. The players are all paid by the league, so the money has to actually be coming from MLS, rather than the Columbus Crew. So, yes the team can be cheap by refusing to sign DP's that go above and beyond the cap, but if you could save money by being under the cap, I think we'd see a lot more of that in this league than you do.

It also makes sense from a standpoint of maintaining parity. If Columbus decides tomorrow that they want to fill a roster with league minimum salaries to save money, that doesn't exactly jive with what the league is trying to accomplish.

On the other hand, I also remember reading that there's some sort of compensation if you don't use off-budget spots 25-30 (I think Philly took advantage of that last year), so I'm not sure how those two things work together.

21. JB the First

JB the First Member

Apr 28, 2009
    Texas
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here we go:
    So we may have had more 100k+ plus guys than LA, but a few of them (Duka and Tchani) were off-budget as GA guys.

22. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Duka and Tchani were not off budget in the 2012 season. They were graduated from GA status at the end of the season last year, even though neither had played much due to injuries.

23. BrickStreetBoy

Oct 3, 2012
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    SoccerByIves
    Montreal Impact trade Josh Gardner to Sporting KC for a 2nd round pick (the higher of KC's 2 2nd round picks) in the 2013 MLS Draft.
    12/5/12 1:06 PM

It appears that Gardner is no longer a possibility

24. JB the First

JB the First Member

Apr 28, 2009
    Texas
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unless they're planning on flipping him to us (not likely).

The sad thing is, he would start here, but he's going to KC as depth.

25. BrickStreetBoy

Oct 3, 2012
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Are there any other LBs available in the re-entry draft. IIRC Segares is available, yet expensive