Re-Entry Draft

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by OSCrew, Dec 3, 2012.

1. hardhead

hardhead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 2008
    NEO
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    The full list from the MLS N&A thread:

2. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Given where we picked, the guys we might have taken were gone. This draft just isn't a big deal at all, unless you are terrible or need a couple of cheap guys because your big players fill your cap. I still think it's 50/50 Hesmer retires--but he might enjoy a year or two in LA as a backup (as Frankie did). Wish him well though.

3. crewfan_in_columbus

Feb 25, 2001
    Columbus is home
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's better than that ass clown Josh Saunders. However, at a 2012 price of $78K guaranteed, Saunders is a decent value.

Given some of Saunders' off the field issues, and Hesmer's reputation as a pro, I wouldn't be surprised to see him starting there (if he decides to play).

4. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's the gamble Bushie took--and it eventually worked out for him, though he had to go to a third team for it. I just don't know if Will can come back given the injury he had. I'd love to see it, as I think he's a great keeper when healthy--but I'd hate to see him crippled in later life too. Either way, I wish him well. He'll always have a place here in the fans hearts.

Who knows--in LA maybe he can be Will Ferrell's stand in (or stunt double if he ever makes a soccer comedy).

5. patricksp

patricksp 91.9 Crew Fan Rating

Nov 4, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's Getting married then off to LA for a long Honeymoon sounds nice.

6. eclipse02

eclipse02 Member

Sep 20, 2009
    I hope they pay him really good because i hear Taxes are a B!##h over there.

7. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really like the moves we've made this offseason.

8. Crewster

Crewster Member+

Jan 28, 2005
    Worthington
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of course this is what was said about this time last year, and somehow we started the season with 30.

9. eboe

eboe Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 23, 2006
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

10. SourCream&OnionUtd

Nov 19, 1998
    I'd agree with all of that.

At least initially, it seemed to me there's no real risk in selecting players in that 2nd stage. If they don't sign, they don't sign and everyone moves on. Last year LA picked four and pulled back two, including Frankie, and of the 6 total only Boyens and Noonan signed. The others retired.

Except that there is real risk in the sense that you might end up locked in lengthy negotiations with a player(s) that maybe isn't all that interested, or maybe you don't even really want or intend to use. Or maybe even all of the above.

Remember how long the saga dragged on with Jeff when we picked him? At the time I was all for bringing him back into the fold, and I suppose even now I still stand behind that. But if I'd known then that Bob would never call his number, given the $$ we ended up setting aside for him, then maybe we should've just looked elsewhere.

This whole re-entry process doesn't seem to be working for either the players or the league office, though the teams themselves seem to be making out okay, mostly by ignoring it. It needs more than just tweaking or else it should be scrapped altogether in favor of true free agency.

11. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Hunter Freeman or Ty Harden could have been nice picks. Certainly decent MLS players at the fullback position. Something we are completely lacking right now.

12. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought single entity didn't allow that/

13. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, given our complete lack of action, I guess we can un-sticky this.

14. SourCream&OnionUtd

Nov 19, 1998
    Well clearly it doesn't, but I expect it to change markedly in the next round of negotiations. The decline of the GA's v the rise of the HG's is a useful bellwether, the league can only hold out for so long.

15. DAFCrew

DAFCrew Member+

Feb 27, 2007
    Terre Haute, Indiana
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I don't see why Higs or Arrieta can't play fullback. Have you no vision?

16. JB the First

JB the First Member

Apr 28, 2009
    Texas
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Harden is horrible. He was probably the worst defender in the worst defense in the league last season.

Freeman could have been decent.

17. DGA57

DGA57 Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Dublin, OH
    I agree with your first statement but I think San Jose may want a word with you on the second one.

18. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That surprised me a bit too. And I think other observers. But they may have cap issues. They have been good for a couple years now, and they may have players getting substantial raises this year. It will be interesting to see where they are once the salary info for 2013 is released.

Also, does SJ have a academy system for Homegrowns?? I know different teams introduced them at different times.

19. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Didn't one of their Prop issues just raise the sales tax to 13.9%?? Ouch.

20. patricksp

patricksp 91.9 Crew Fan Rating

Nov 4, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Josh Saunders is out of contract, I wonder if LA is using Hesmer as a negotiation tool.

21. SourCream&OnionUtd

Nov 19, 1998
    Think I read yesterday that Morrow and Beitashour are definitely due reasonable bumps in pay, maybe Wondo, too. Plus they've already got Cronin, Hernandez and maybe another guy or two on new terms.