RDM bites the dust

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by Naughtius Maximus, Nov 21, 2012.

1. Hachiko

Hachiko The Akita on Big Soccer

Jun 8, 2005
    Long Beach, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought Roberto Di Matteo was a decent manager. Not a smart move for the long run. But, this was no surprise.

2. sportscribe

sportscribe Member

Jul 2, 2007
    Why are some posters on here so wound up and uptight? Get a woman or take a trip to Colorado and light up a joint. Get that suppressed stress out of your system, because it will be beneficial to your health in the long term.

The thought of Rafa as our manager is as strange one, given our vitriolic history with Liverpool while he managed them and Jose managed us. He's actually one of the few people I can say I have a slight dislike for without having met personally. Still, he's the (interim) gaffer of the club I support and thus gets my support by default. I'd rather wish him well than bad, because if he does well, the team does well (you don't say, right?). As I stated previously in the thread, his first objective should be to galvanize the squad, because there's every chance they may be disillusioned after RDM getting the boot. And for anyone displeased enough to take action, you can voice your annoyance on the grounds or even boycott matches if you feel so compelled - we all know that won't happen. Anyway, let's just all reserve judgement till he's had a chance to actually manage. He's had shit spells and pretty good spells in his managerial career. Hope it's the latter for us. If he doesn't live up to expectations, at least we know it's a "transitional period".

fernb8 repped this.
  3. Yaroni

Yaroni Member

Aug 31, 2007
    Tel Aviv
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Israel
    Dude what's with the cartoon pedophilia?

4. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    I heard someone liken the job to those Inca human sacrifices who got to live like princes in the year leading up to their death. ;) Although it's a bit of a stretch to equate that golden handshake with being gutted alive...

Naughtius Maximus repped this.
  5. Hachiko

Hachiko The Akita on Big Soccer

Jun 8, 2005
    Long Beach, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Personal preference. Your point?

6. schafer

schafer Member+

Mar 12, 2004
    It's not just one thing, but I think it's pretty obvious that he's not as explosive nor as agile as he was at Liverpool. He started playing senior football at an incredibly young age, it's not particularly surprising that he's broken down so soon. The same thing happened with Owen, for example.

Maybe he 'should' be at his physical peak, but unfortunately for us he's not.

7. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    The Valencia side that won the league was quite a bit retooled compared to the Cuper sides.

Bayern CL final (under Cuper):
    [​IMG]

Rafa's line-up:

[​IMG]

And Aimar's best performances at the club came after Benitez took over.

Speaking specifically about his appointment, I'd be against it if he was meant to be the long-term manager, but he obviously is not. As a caretaker until the end of the season, you could do a lot worse. My 2 cents.

fernb8 and Hachiko repped this.
  8. sstarch1

sstarch1 Member

Jan 25, 2005
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia
    Handjobs.

9. Yaroni

Yaroni Member

Aug 31, 2007
    Tel Aviv
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Israel
    Can just admit that your a chelsea fan already.

fernb8 repped this.
  10. lobomojo

lobomojo Member+

Chelsea, Gillingham
    Jul 17, 2004
    Freedom
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
  11. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    That's REALLY deceptive; Albelda was always there, he had Kily for two of his 3 seasons, Mendieta was the only big departure. His only big changes were Mista and Rufete. Vicente was also bought under Cuper's regime.

12. Kerry Dixon's Boots

Staff Member

Jun 6, 2006
    77 degrees
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Dude, can we not attack guest posters the second they join a discussion? If you were interested, you could use PMs.

Besides its a departure of the theme of burning Rafa effigies before he's had a chance to lose a game for us.

13. slipereypete

slipereypete BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2003
    Gig Harbor, WA, USA
    http://www.leaguemanagers.com/news/viewfromthetop-7099.html

chief232, Naughtius Maximus and Hachiko repped this.
  14. lobomojo

lobomojo Member+

Chelsea, Gillingham
    Jul 17, 2004
    Freedom
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    found this gallows amusing

"It's predicted that by 2025 you'll be no more than six feet away from an ex-Chelsea manager"
    Mac from shedend

15. lobomojo

lobomojo Member+

Chelsea, Gillingham
    Jul 17, 2004
    Freedom
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
  16. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002
    my head hurts

lobomojo repped this.
  17. The_ChelseaSupporter

Mar 25, 2007
    Olympia, WA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rafa Benitez? Are you kidding me? We couldn't do better than THAT?

18. eriol

eriol Member

Dec 15, 2005
    NOT Pacific Grove, CA anymore
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    lobomojo repped this.
  19. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Got one. Why do you think I'm wound up :mad:

:D

chief232, fernb8, Bruckner283 and 2 others repped this.
  20. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Exactly, and NOBODY wants to interrupt THAT!

21. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    And maybe more to the point, on occasion, we probably HAVE done a lot worse :D

Nah, I don't think anyone's saying the guy has no clue what he's doing. It's just, with his history with 'pool he comes having to hit the ground running and the chances of that happening are slim, I'd say.

I suppose, having said that, the fellas are professionals and it's their attitude that matters, not the fans. Fact is, fans are a fickle bunch and if he starts doing well all will be forgiven VERY quickly. If not it might be the shortest honeymoon period EVER :D

Mind you, I'm not sure RA gives a shit about that. In fact, I'm pretty sure he doesn't.

22. Kerry Dixon's Boots

Staff Member

Jun 6, 2006
    77 degrees
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Dude, what's with the cartoon bestiality??

I keed, I keed. :D

Yaroni repped this.
  23. Walter3000

Walter3000 Member+

Apr 8, 2004
    gainesville, Florida
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't have the time to read through the thread, so sorry for anything already posted.
    Chelsea is a bit of an embarrassment at the moment, TPTB are severely out of touch. I feel bad for Roberto, and I may not like Benitez, but he deserves a fair shake before writing him off. I just hope they didn't pick him thinking he can get the best out of Torres, because that problem needs to be taken care of permanently

Bruckner283 and fernb8 repped this.