RDM bites the dust

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by Naughtius Maximus, Nov 21, 2012.

1. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002
  2. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    That's the German quoted version. What he ACTUALLY said is 'The Germans win on penalties'. i.e. pure luck ;) :D

fernb8 and Cris 09 repped this.
  3. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    fernb8 repped this.
  4. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    And not just in the sofa it seems.

Still, the management probably letting him be the bearer of bad news as he'll be gone soon anyway. Looks like Nic's 'Benitez out' sig line is working it's charm sooner than we expected :D

Of course, it looks like Frank's uncle might be taking over from sparky so maybe that's an option for him but, personally, I hope he goes to Los Angeles so some of our fellas over there get to see him kick a ball up close.

5. Kerry Dixon's Boots

Staff Member

Jun 6, 2006
    77 degrees
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    It would be weird seeing him in another jersey, but I wouldn't mind having to watch Frank for a season or two.

Like you said, Benitez is being paid as a fall guy more than anything. Just hope we keep the vets as long as they are still useful. Hasn't hurt united to have scholes and Giggs hanging around,if not from a playing perspective then very much as experienced pros who can teach the youngsters a lot about the game.

Wrath repped this.
  6. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Agreed.

Quite why we're always in such a hurry to give people the heave-ho I DON'T know. I mean, how much is Frank gonna be looking for at this stage in his career. If he's happy to sit around and play every so often why NOT keep the fella.

Mind you, maybe that's the problem, maybe he's not happy and has been bleating.

7. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I miss this guy...

[​IMG]

jcm28, schafer, fernb8 and 1 other person repped this.
  8. lobomojo

lobomojo Member+

Chelsea, Gillingham
    Jul 17, 2004
    Freedom
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    fernb8 repped this.
  9. Wrath

Wrath Member+

May 4, 2007
    New York
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I can't help but laugh. My nightmare just doesn't want to end ....

10. Walter3000

Walter3000 Member+

Apr 8, 2004
    gainesville, Florida
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    embrace the madness

11. Footy Magoo

Footy Magoo Audaces fortuna iuvat

Mar 23, 2009
    ♫ Flugelville
  12. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    The large majority of those signings are in the 0-8 million range. You aren't going to buy a sure thing in the premiership for that kind of money. So by the very definition of the size of the dealings, the large majority of those were gambles and/or projects.

It's the difference between the 8 or so million Chelsea spent on KDB (clearly meant as a project signing) and the 40 million they spent on Hazard (meant to be plugged into the first team right away).

couris repped this.
  13. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    I can sorta understand why Chelsea fans might be miffed at Rafa's appointment, but who else was there? 'Arry? I suggest people go back and check his league record since New Year. I doubt Benitez ever had such a terrible run, even in his final season at Anfield.

Benitez was about the only guy with experience in both the premier league and Europe who was readily available and had dropped down the pecking order far enough to accept a short-term, stop gap contract.

14. idreamofpikas

idreamofpikas Member+

May 22, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    fyp

fernb8 repped this.
  15. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002
    which is understandable but I do wonder that perhaps he could have spent 6 mil on one quality player instead of 2 mil on 3 projects. Think he pissed away far too much money which may have been better invested.

16. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002
    I mentioned this a while back that if one simply looks at his CV then they should be very pleased with such an interim Manager

but it is very challenging to be understanding considering who that CV actually belongs to

17. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Well Wenger is also guilty of this TBF. Perhaps he might have been better served had some of the 8-12 million deals he has made in recent Summers been a couple of 20 million deals instead.

fernb8 repped this.
  18. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    The explanation is that most clubs which are concerned to preserve capital.

So Utd can afford to take a straight cash loss in the order of 30m on Berbatov. Or 17m on Hargreaves.

Clubs like Arsenal and Liverpool seek to buy players where the downside risk is low, and there is good chance of upside on the asset. Its easy to forget that Arsenal did not even break even last season before player sales!

19. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    Relax, calm down and come back to the issue next week.

20. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    I don't think that's true - Benitez did make some big purchases. And besides, in the words of David Lloyd George, you don't cross a chasm with two small leaps.

21. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002
    looking at Keane and Aqualani he may have been better suited to avoid that price range :p

I just personally feel he could have addressed many of his issues by invested a decent amount in one player instead of spending the same amount of three

22. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002
    but football for those clubs is not about a balance sheet

dont misunderstand me- I get the value of buying to invest as Chelsea had to do with and do so quite frequently for a very long while

but we are talking about Liverpool who are allegedly challenging for trophies every season not Stoke who are looking to consolidate and steadily improve

as we learned under Hicks and Gillette- fans dont want to see a balance sheet they want trophies

23. lobomojo

lobomojo Member+

Chelsea, Gillingham
    Jul 17, 2004
    Freedom
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
  24. The Cold Sea

The Cold Sea Señor Mejor

Feb 17, 2005
    The District
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I do and I don't. When he poked the Barca coach in the eye, I didn't miss him at all.

25. Wrath

Wrath Member+

May 4, 2007
    New York
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Missed him even more ......:(

Cris 09, JediSoccer, schafer and 3 others repped this.