Rapinoe reportedly to play for Lyon

Discussion in 'Seattle Reign FC' started by ForeverLOST108, Dec 27, 2012.

1. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    i can borrow my daughter's camera and take pictures but i don't know how i would get them on BS; i don't do anything like flicker or twitter, but if you can help me with that part i will definitely get photos sometime.

2. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Does the French WNT play a March tournament? I didnt see them in Algarve or Cyprus. Or do they just shut the league down so other internationals can meet their commitments?

3. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    everyone in europe shuts down their leagues during the sanctioned international breaks, which is what conditions the dates of the algarve and cyprus tournaments... it's so automatic that i thought it was required, i might be wrong.

les bleues are not playing a tournament this year, they are going to have two friendlies against brazil instead.

4. lukephan

lukephan Member+

Oct 1, 2012
    Thx man, ofc will help. nbd, just go after that Pinoe girl! :D

5. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    as soon as they publish the practice schedule i'll plan something. meanshile i think you'll like this:

[​IMG]

lukephan repped this.
  6. ForeverLOST108

ForeverLOST108 Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Orlando
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting tidbit from Grant Wahl:

7. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    this is of enormous interest to us here. our guess was that the commitment she made to get allocated was to the fed and that her agreeing to terms with the reign is neither here nor there.

and wasn't she normally headed to portland?

8. RUfan

RUfan Member

Dec 11, 2004
    NJ
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am confused by the tidbit, and more than just about Rapinoe, unless Wahl is mistaken about this. The only thing I thought the players were to sign was the WNT contact, and the CBA has, at least publicly, not been finalized. She submitted her choices for teams. Do they then agree on paper to play with their allocated team? or are there possible side deals with the teams that they can negotiate. Or can any player, even at this point, back out and just not sign the WNT contract and do whatever she wants? (if so, why would anyone want to deal with the player again?).

9. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    I have to admit I dont get it either. If u go by the old contract, players got paid on one of three tiers simply for playing for the WNT. Whether a bonus structure was included to cover league games for the WPS or not I dont know. My impression was that people like Krieger were simply paid on the lowest tier because they werent always available. They may be doing something similar with Harris and Rapinoe in the new CBA. Whether Rapinoe plays in the league or not, USSoccer has to pay her per contract to play for the WNT. I really wish I had a better understanding. According to All White Kit, Harris' contract runs until June 2014 so she wont help Washington too much.

10. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Assuming it is a collective bargaining agreement, then it is signed by the appropriate players' union officials and is not signed individually by the players. Further, the players are bound by it if they want to play for the employer -- in this case the USSF. That's part of what a player "gives up" during the union formation process. (This is not a political statement by me, just stating my understanding of the law.) If the players don't like the negotiated contract, they can vote it down when it's submitted to them for a vote once the negotiations are completed. If a majority votes for it, then all players are bound by it if they want to play whether they themselves voted for it or not.

Any labor lawyers out there, please correct me if I'm wrong.

11. lolGOL

lolGOL Member

Aug 16, 2010
    Club:
    Vitoria Salvador
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I'm wondering if the teams have any say in whether they sign their allocated players. In Seattle's case, do they have to sign Rapinoe for the two months in which she'll be available? Or can they choose not to and try to leverage for some other benefit instead, e.g., draft position, extra salary cap, etc.? If I'm them, signing a player for only two months, who has publicly stated that they want to play for a rival is not a really someone is not something I'd be stoked about. Can US Soccer push an independent club's hand that far? Can they push back?

12. RUfan

RUfan Member

Dec 11, 2004
    NJ
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now that I read the full Wahl story, I think that she either misspoke (meant with US Soccer) or in the conversation with her, Wahl got confused signing with US Soccer vs NWSL.
    My understanding is that the new CBA for the players will include the extra salary for playing in the league. I don't understand anything about signing with the individual teams.

"Interestingly, Rapinoe and her U.S. teammates have yet to sign contracts with the NWSL, but she said she "definitely" wants to play in the U.S. league this year."

I can understand a team's fan(s) not happy with a player who is "surprised" (negatively) to be with the team and made it clear wanted to be somewhere else. There has to be other players who are not going to be with the teams they really wanted but are not going to say publicly that. I could also understanding in this situation if she gets boos from the home crowd the first time she appears in Seattle ( not just because she is from Portland).

13. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The presumption would be that each NT player also signs a contract with the team as the primary employer. The NTs are subsidizing the players, but you want to make sure they are properly contracted to the teams. That makes the team the employer of record which is important for all kinds of things, including keeping FIFA happy. The USWNT will continue to pay them for NT activities outside the NWSL team (again, I'm assuming here, but it makes sense).

14. RUfan

RUfan Member

Dec 11, 2004
    NJ
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Even if not correct, this sounds better than anything else I have read or written on this subject. Thanks.

15. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Well I would expect Pinoe to be on the Algarve roster. That tournament falls in the international break so her club cant refuse to let her play. If she doesnt play in Algarve Id take it as a sign something is up.

16. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    If Seattle is convinced Rapinoe doesnt want to be there, they can always trade her. The problem with that is it would be hard to get equal value and ur still not sure ur getting a player who wants to be in Seattle. Obvious trades would be Rapinoe plus somone not allocated for Morgan or Rapiinoe for Heath plus someone. In either case, u have to assume that Heath and Morgan r already where they want to be so u my be trading one unhappy player for another one. I really think if they cant get almost equal value they have to keep her. Happy or not she's the best player on the team.

17. CANAmerican

CANAmerican Member

Aug 10, 2011
    Toronto
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I personally did not get the impression from the Wahl article that she was that disappointed in Seattle. No city in the world can match her hometown.
    But, I am glad that she seems committed to coming back to the NWSL and that is why she only wanted a 6 month contract. Maybe she will actually want to stay in Seattle after the season?

18. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    I thought she was pretty clear that should was very competitive and try to win wherever she was. Still, I see no way Portland wouldnt have gotten her if they wanted her. I think the Lyon thing scared them off.

19. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    redding ca? are you forgetting manteca, bakersfield and fresno?

seriously, both portland and seattle are nice cities but lyon is in a different category. i don't live here because i have to. i came to live here because of all the nice (and some not so nice) cities i've ever visited or lived in (a good many) it's the most nicest.

20. lukephan

lukephan Member+

Oct 1, 2012
    In front we have cathedral, to the left old basilica, over there townhall's tower and look, here is Megan ********ing Rapinoe riding a bike... :)

21. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    actually the basilica's up on the hill. here's a view of it during the feast of lights

[​IMG]

22. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    and here's a view from it.

[​IMG]

the cathedral is in the foreground.

if you follow the arc of saint michael's right wing to a flat white structure, that's the stadium where pinoe will play. cap. 40,000 but the ladies have only played before more than 20,000 thre or four times.

23. CANAmerican

CANAmerican Member

Aug 10, 2011
    Toronto
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well I am definitely going to add it to list of cities I want to visit, it does sound/look beautiful.

24. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    Looks pretty old ;)

25. law10

law10 Member+

Dec 26, 2007
    Take out the river and it looks like a church,a golf ball, and bunch of beige monopoly hotels with red rooftops.