Rapinoe reportedly to play for Lyon

Discussion in 'Seattle Reign FC' started by ForeverLOST108, Dec 27, 2012.

1. TsovLoj

TsovLoj Member

Aug 16, 2012
    This. I'm sure there was a gentlemen's (ladies'?) agreement in place before she agreed to anything in France.

2. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    you're right the schedule means nothing since it's not an NFL type horror, but at least it's a palpable and concrete symbol, and it costs nothing to get together. the uniforms are the same. that's juicy news for fans, witness the number of websites that treat nothing but!

perhaps they have been waiting for the POTY voting to be announced to make the allocation fair... in terms of visibility as well as on-the-field parity. jan 16th is OK, but if it takes any longer they've screwed up.

i agree with cpthomas' view about pacing the announcments but there's a lot to do and to communicate and i think they are way behind schedule. between the allocation and the start of camp there will be plenty of news about roster building, and once practice starts there will be even more. so basically all the logistics and ancillary stuff should have been household already to make room for all of that.

3. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    she's made it official on her fb account:

Headed out to France today!!! And not for holiday either. I am pleased to say Lyon will be my home for the next six months!!! I am thrilled at the challenge of being apart of one of the best football clubs in the world. More updates to come!! France here I come!

one of the best? hmmmm megan... not a good start!

4. RUfan

RUfan Member

Dec 11, 2004
    NJ
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To me "next six months" means through the end of June. Can you remind us the normal season for the French league? I thought there were comments, either on this thread or another, that she could/would be back in May if she signed with Lyon.

5. StarCityFan

StarCityFan BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How do you distinguish "parcelling out strategically" from saying nothing at all? The impression I'm getting is not that they're spreading the information out over time but that there's no information to give out.

6. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    I agree that its gonna be a slow build. First u got the names and logo, then the coaches. Next ull get the college draft and free agent signings. U'll see the uniforms unveiled and the playing sites confirmed. Then there will be an actual schedule.

BUT

The single most important thing is selling season tickets and the way u do that is by saying "Come see the North Dakota Blue Jays featuring USWNT stars Abby Wambach and Heather O'Reilly." Most people will want an idea of who will be on the team, name wise, before they plunk down their cash.

7. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    well, six months is just a way of saying half a year. if you want to be precise, the last league game is in rodez on 22/05, the CL final is on 23/05 the french cup final is 09/06. so she could be back in 5 months.

i may have been the one who said she would be free at the end of may, but i forgot about the cup final.

8. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    I personally think it will be six months well spent. Rapinoe will learn a lot about central mid field play. In Europe, mid field isnt where they stick the kids not fast enough for the front...everyone wants to be the next great midfielder. The Lyon ladies might learn a bit about grit as well. Other than Bompastor, they tend to expect things to come to them rather than taking things. Rapinoe is the ultimate provocateur.

9. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    and this just in : pinoe's taking her physical as we speak and will be the blondest and most american of our fenottes in just a few hours!

[​IMG]

10. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    well, laura george and amandine henry have some grit of their own. especially didine. she's a beast.

11. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    I rarely get to see Henry play as she seems to be on the outs with Bini. George tho has played over here and her style has positive influences from both.

12. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    no brag just fact? with didine in the squad instead of granny clampett france might not have blown that lead against USA, and sure as hell would have made the final.

13. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    LOL Granny Clampett :)

14. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    that just came to mind because in franc we call her mamie (granny), but you know who really looks like granny clampett in lots of photos, with the effort tightening up her face?

lotta schelin. she's really an attractive woman of course, but you can find photos where she IS granny clampett.

15. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    [​IMG]
    nice pic of rapinoe with one of her new teammates. tomorrow they're both signing my bike helmet.

16. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    You may want to ask Rapinoe if you can have a strand of her hair.
    Just see how she reacts. It might be funny. Ask her if she has insurance on her hair. Tell her that J-Lo (Jennifer Lopez) had a near $30 million dollar insurance policy on her buttox (which is true). So go on and suggest Rapinoe to do the same for her hair. She's got a Top 10 hairstyle in the game. She was ranked for that on Bleacher Report.

17. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    If ur tired of Schelin's face we'd be happy to have her over here.

18. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    no can do WPS! it's hard enough to stand apart from all the weirdo stagedoor johnnies outside the OL locker rooms w/o being a hair fetishist!

19. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    if she goes anywhere it's paris.

20. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    my butthole boss (actually he's pretty good boss usually) sprung a surprise party on me this morning : presenting reams of folderol as inconsequential as it was specious (but that's OK, the important thing is that it's on PP, right?) to the directors committee at 11h30 this morning*.

so i missed pinoe's first practice. but you don't have to!

[​IMG]
    http://www.olweb.fr/fr/media/photo/ol-feminin-entrainement-09-01-2013-3048.html?mode=list

* if he tries a trick like that tomorrow, he's fired.

21. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    i would have thought that rapinoe would have made more than that. the top salary on the club is over twice that and my not completely uneducated guess would put this at between the 6th and the 10th biggest contract on the team.

that said, it's probably money she wouldn't be making at all otherwise. and she has housing and a car thrown in. but your point is certainly that it's not even chickenfeed compared to th man's game and there you are absolutely correct.

last but not least, there's more to life than money. she's going to have a great time!

23. RUfan

RUfan Member

Dec 11, 2004
    NJ
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Guignol,
    When you/others say "housing", is that staying with a host family or is that a paid apartment for either herself only or with 1-2 other players? Thanks, Rufan

24. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    at the moment she may just be at the academy dormitories which are right at the training complex, but OL has their own apartments which serve to give new players (mostly the men) time to get their own places w/o being under a lot of stress while acclimating. i imagine she'll be in one of those. i doubt they want her going through the wringer of finding her own place, with all the inconvenients of not knowing the customs or language, especially when it's only for 5 months. it's neither host family nor sharing, and the ones i know of are pretty swank... certainly more than what I can afford! as for the car, it's not a ferrari... but it gets the players around.

[​IMG]

25. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    there's a silver lining to missing today's practice... ohno only passed her physical this evening and will have her first run-out tomorrow. and it's not like i can just blow off work every day. i do have an automobile industry to run.