Rapids vs. Timbers, March 22, 4PM P/I/P

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by Totoro, Mar 20, 2014.

1. spot

spot Member+

Nov 29, 1999
    Centennial
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of course.... we are partisan fans too.

I thought Ricketts certainly was a foul, and really really weird and wacky one at that. The guy looked like he was seeing things. No technique at all, unless one is trying to selflessly slow down a horde of zombies.

The second one, it's a clear foul. It's also a smart play by Sanchez. I thought he was gonna easily clear the keeper with his jump, but foot dragged ever so much... If he doesn't, not avoid the contact, it goes down as a goal kick.

COMtnGuy and JasonMa repped this.
  2. jayd8888

jayd8888 Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Denver CO

Sounds to me like two different styles of play and you would think soccer city USA would know that.

3. jayd8888

jayd8888 Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Denver CO
    The nicest description that I could say about him is that he might just feel a lot more pain than the average person.

JasonMa repped this.
  4. Quinn 33

Quinn 33 Member+

Apr 25, 2003
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There could be a couple of explanations for that last night. Some coaches have a philosophy that the person is fouled should NOT take the PK immediately afterwards. Another explanation could be that the team wanted to give Brown a chance at a goal, since it was his run opportunity that caused the first penalty.

5. Rod1916

Rod1916 Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    The comments by Porter indicated to me that he didn't agree with the fouls. He may have had coach-speak going, but I was a little surprised he didn't just say something like Pable (I didn't have a good angle to see what happened).
    Interesting that in the second game, we are saying Pablo made the more "coach-like" comments. Bodes well for the PM era.

Sports Yak repped this.
  6. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sanchez also appeared to be walking off a knock after he went down so that could have factored into it as well.

COMtnGuy repped this.
  7. Centennial

Centennial Member+

Apr 4, 2003
    Centennial
    I Was mistaken. Go Refs!

MrPerfectNot repped this.
  8. GreatGonzo

GreatGonzo Member+

Jul 1, 1999
    MA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    My thought on the first one was that Geiger was surprised that Brown got up so quickly. He blew the whistle immediately, not giving Brown a chance to hit the shot. Admittedly, I wasn't expecting Brown to get up so quickly either - cleats directly to the midsection tend to knock you down for a bit. I would be curious if he would have allowed advantage for the goal and then given Ricketts the straight red for serious foul play. Regardless, easy PK and red card. The only question there is whether the red was for serious foul play or DOGSO. I guess technically it could be both.

Second one, on replay, is also a clear foul. Portland fans might be claiming that Weber touched it, but I don't see it. At the very least, Sanchez absolutely gets the ball, and Weber obviously clears him out thanks to Sanchez leaving his foot in. Sanchez could have avoided the contact, but I think that if he continues a natural motion, he gets cleared out anyway.

No matter what, neither PK was controversial.

The red card to Mari is sort of controversial, but it's understandable. If you watch his left arm, he drives it into Johnson's back, close to his neck, and then you see his elbow swing a bit after the contact. It's harsh, but I would admittedly be okay with it as a first yellow. In theory, that means I should be okay with it as a second yellow, but in reality, that's not usually the case.

MrPerfectNot repped this.
  9. Stuart95

Stuart95 Member+

Mar 11, 2012
    NoVA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hate to say it but I was yelling at him to get it before the stretcher came out. I didn't see much contact so it looked like he was acting to get out of the red or to give his backup time to warm up. We'll see what the injury report says but it looked like incidental contact in real time.

jimijam28 repped this.
  10. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It looks like Brown handles the ball as he goes down, so calling the PK instead of the advantage was probably the right call.

11. GreatGonzo

GreatGonzo Member+

Jul 1, 1999
    MA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    True, though I'm pretty sure Geiger blew the whistle pretty much immediately. I'd just be curious to know if Geiger assumed that Brown was going to stay down. Again, I can't blame him if he did.

12. The Commissioner

Oct 31, 2013
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Brown getting right back up was one of the best efforts in the game. He would have gotten to the ball and probably gotten a shot off against a goal defended by a field player. That said, PK was the right call. Advantage is a discretionary call and should be used only where advantage benefits the fouled team. I have seen it used where a player is fouled while shooting and the ref will wait to see whether thevshot will go in, but never in a situation like the one on Saturday.

JasonMa repped this.
  13. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He did, he got up and kicked it into goal. But whistle had already blown. He needs the practice so I'm glad he did it.

TeleRock, m vann, 22SteveD and 3 others repped this.
  14. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    There really isn't any advantage call in the box unless a goal is scored immediately and then advantage isn't the signal - a goal is. The reason is that if you allow play to continue there really isn't much of anything that can happen that is a 'better' opportunity than a pk. So making the call won't ever be a disadvantage to the attacking team when they're fouled inside the 18.

Also it isn't really germane whether the second pk was soft, the first one was the gwg and it was a stone cold every-time-it-happens pk.

Mari may have gotten a welcome to MLS red card, he may be used to a little more immunity/inoculation from a second yellow by getting a first one?

15. jayd8888

jayd8888 Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Denver CO
    Re Mari: I don't know about immunities with the second so much as Portland was already down a man and therefore the game to the team with the advantage tends to be called a little more soft after that point, and I wasn't surprised to see the second red like that.

COMtnGuy, 22SteveD and JasonMa repped this.
  16. colins1993

colins1993 Member

Mar 1, 2001
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was Berner tested at all?

Couldn't tell from the limited highlights from MLS.com.

17. tonhtubra

tonhtubra Member+

Jun 8, 2004
    Fort Collins, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't even think it has anything to do with "protecting" the team that is already down a man. When the foul happened I had a pretty good sight line (although it was from a different side than Geiger) and I immediately thought it was a yellow because I saw Mari's elbow go into the back of the head of Johnson. It's only on the replays where I see that the elbow was lower than I thought and that the card seems soft. It was a stupid play by him either way.

jayd8888 and unkiemark repped this.
  18. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    My reaction too. He need to be cautious in that situation - the play happened near midfield so there was no immediate threat of a Portland shot on goal so why challenge hard? It's easy latter on to criticise the official's decision, but my philosophy is to play smart when you are sitting on a yellow. By getting the second yellow he's hurt the team for the SKC match.

19. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    It seems in the first half there might have been a shot he had to deal with, but the situation that stands out in my mind is the final corner from the Timbers which was curling on goal. He seemed to not be paying attention when the ball was struck and was barely able to get a hand on the ball, knocking it off the cross bar and out of immediate danger. Perhaps he was thinking that Portland was quite ready to take the corner?

In general, he has seemed adequate the two games he's played, but he really hasn't been tested. The opposition has had a total of four shots on goal so it's hard to make a judgement of where he's at. I would expect Irwin to be in goal Saturday afternoon as he apparently is about 100% now.

20. colins1993

colins1993 Member

Mar 1, 2001
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. spot

spot Member+

Nov 29, 1999
    Centennial
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Best stat of the early season. I'd rather be trying to figure out offensive issues rather than defensive ones this early in the season.

wormhole repped this.
  22. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    Oops - The Rapids have given up a total of 5 shots on goal. They have also a 16-4 advantage in corners thus far.

23. Soaker888

Soaker888 Member+

Feb 21, 2012
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Yes some, though not consistently. He performed well on corners and had one save that deflected
    Berner had at least two notable saves against Portland: a run-out save from a slotted pass by Fernandez inside the box that he dove for and got before their winger (name?) got to the ball...close; and another diving save from an on target (I believe) low shot from Zak at the top of the box that Berner dove for, saved, and then recouped again after he could not hold on. Aside from that he had at least one strong clearance from corner kicks. Nothing to judge stardom by but I would say he was at least solid against POR and did well against NY. NY goal was tough since Henry was left wide open.

24. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    A goalkeeper is note worthy in shot stopping (maybe only 30% of his job but an important part) when he doesn't make saves he should/ or does make ones he shouldn't (or that many of them wouldn't) - so far he is good/ untested in those categories.

25. xingyiz

xingyiz Member

Mar 26, 2011
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Berner has played well with a few good stops and has been great coming out except maybe once. There have been a few times he took charge and came out ending an offensive break. Weather he gobbled it up or punched it he did well with those chances. I'd say for a kid who was supposed to be 3rd string (just like Irwin) he is doing a very good job so far.