Rapids v SKC Pre|Game|Post 04/29 - 4:00 PM

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by teddy_montoya, Mar 24, 2014.

1. teddy_montoya

teddy_montoya RapidsThugLife

Nov 9, 2006
    Supporters Terrace
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    7 points in three games sounds great. Weather looks like it will be good. Partly cloudy, with a high of 65 degrees.

Let's get this thread started....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Stuart95 and jayd8888 repped this.
  2. Alagroth

Alagroth Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Melbourne OZ
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. Soaker888

Soaker888 Member+

Feb 21, 2012
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Sporting trying to find a foot hold this early in the season and may have with their last win. 2-1 victory for the Rapids or 2-2 tie. I think we will see more of Torres this match and maybe Sturgis will get his start with Mari out. Likely a similar starting line-up as last time (minus Mari and plus Irwin). But will Pablo start Serna like in NY? I thought Buddle did a commendable job against POR so he may get the nod again. That leaves choices to be made between Torres, Serna, Sanchez for the other wing besides Brown (who I assume will start).

4. Quinn 33

Quinn 33 Member+

Apr 25, 2003
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Losing the central midfield presence of Mari may cause us problems. KC is a physical team that likes to press high, and the game is likely to be won by whoever can control the center of the park.*

*barring PK's of course. :D

Sports Yak, COMtnGuy and JasonMa repped this.
  5. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    Marking Collin well on set pieces will take away half of their clinch scoring from last year based on what I saw of them, especially in their playoff run. The soccer wonks among us (all of us?) know that cruel pk pendulum is bound to swing back the other way -- be careful out there guys. Primarily he is a somewhat smooth thug, but also a set piece beast, the kind of player you really like having on your side and hate if he is playing against you.

6. Soaker888

Soaker888 Member+

Feb 21, 2012
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    These are good points. I wonder if Sanchez and Serna will start the match on the bench for this reason (being as small as they are). I have to think LaBrocca and Sturgis are the only real answer for our D-mid combo right now. I also forgot to mention previously that I doubt we will be winners this time around if we can't score form the run of play (yes I suppose Brown technically did that last game...but c'mon).

7. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone thing that Powers might move back into Jose Mari's spot with Sanchez or Torres moving inside?

BTW, according to the Rapids its Jose Mari, never just Mari.

Soaker888 repped this.
  8. jayd8888

jayd8888 Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Denver CO
    noted

9. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seth Sinovic?? You be the judge. :D

[​IMG]

10. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    Interesting...so "Martín" is basically his "last name." (Wikipedia has him as José María Martín Bejarano-Serrano .)

11. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Martin is one parent's last name, Bejarno-Serrano is the other's if I'm understanding it correctly.

12. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    Right, I think in the States we use Martin (I think the first one is the paternal surname, the second is the maternal).

Edit: At any rate, I can see why the Rapids call him "Jose Mari" instead of "Martin Bejarno-Serrano."

COMtnGuy repped this.
  13. tonhtubra

tonhtubra Member+

Jun 8, 2004
    Fort Collins, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    According to C38 email, SKC is bringing ~700 people to the game. The atmosphere should be great for this.

SKC loves to beat us up, well everyone up. For that reason, I would definitely think about having Powers play more of a holding mid roll with LaBrocca. The other option that I thought of would be moving O'Neill into the holding mid, but I doubt that will happen in such a big game, plus it brings about too many questions at RB. Watts has made the 18 the past two weeks and can play in the midfield, so maybe we find out if Sturgis really is in the dog house if he is Pablo's choice.

14. The Commissioner

Oct 31, 2013
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I do. As I said in another post, sooner or later, PM has to try to do this or even go to a 4-4-2. The purpose is to get another attacking player on the pitch and develop a good scheme for Torres. No way he goes with a 4-4-2 this week. LaBrocca as d-mid, Powers as box to box mid and Torres as ACM brings a lot of offense and hopefully just as much defense as a LaBrocca, Sturgis, Powers combo. Not sure this is the week to it given the streghth of SKC's midfield, no Klute and a Powers who might no be totally fit, but I like the idea of an attacking team that forces Zusi, Feilhaber etc to play defense.

15. xingyiz

xingyiz Member

Mar 26, 2011
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    COMtnGuy repped this.
  16. Stuart95

Stuart95 Member+

Mar 11, 2012
    NoVA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK, 2-2 draw … goals by Torres and Brown but from open play :). SKC's loss was at SEA (always a tough place to play) and they are the defending champs. However, I'm hoping the altitude does it's job and the Rapid's mojo continues.

17. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    game one- 1 PK
    game two- 2 PKs
    Dare I go game three- 3 PKs? Heaven knows KC hacks enough to deserve it.

Sports Yak and IndyRapids04 repped this.
  18. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    Wow, that's a lot of visiting fans. What is this, a Santos game? What's that, a couple of sections' worth?

JasonMa repped this.
  19. murphyskicks

murphyskicks Member

May 15, 2009
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Any chance we see O'Neill at D-mid for Jose Mari? I would like to see it, but we probably won't. My guess is Sturgis is a straight up replacement in that spot.

Here is to hoping there will be a great crowd on hand with nice weather to cheer on the Rapids!

20. tonhtubra

tonhtubra Member+

Jun 8, 2004
    Fort Collins, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I received an email from altitude tickets this week offering BOGO for the game this weekend. I have a friend that bought some tickets in section 103 using the offer. 101 and 102 are where visiting fans normally are, so apparently they are going to cram them all into those two sections if they are selling 103 in the BOGO offer.

21. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    I am going to be there and I'm bringing Mrs. Dom FC as well (not her real name) and I got a great deal for seats in 108 compared to similar regular seating -- and then on the heels of the confirmation of those I got the bogo e-mail from Altitude tickets -- so the great deal actually turned into a small increase over regular seats BUT it is worth it to support C38 and sit with 'real true fans'. ;>)

Rod1916 and JasonMa repped this.
  22. Big Chil in Denver

Sep 10, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm thinking we should go with this:

Torres--------Buddle--------Brown
    ----------------Sanchez---------------
    ------------Powers-----LaBrocca---
    Burch----Moor----Wynne----O'Neill
    -----------------Irwin-------------------

We need some size against SKC's forwards and back line on set pieces. Buddle helps bring that. Torres struggled being involved on the wing v. RBNY, but that formation was Brown as a lone forward and Torres in the second line, 4-2-3-1. This is a straight 4-3-3, using Buddle as a holdup guy and fulcrum for Brown and Torres to make runs, and Powers to Sanchez to get the ball to the front line.

I know Sanchez is small, but I don't know how you justify sitting the MOTM. Sturgis could be a replacement, in for LaBrocca, and Chavez is a fast, physical, active late-game sub.

23. Ihaveabeard

Ihaveabeard Member

Nov 14, 2013
    Club:
    Norwich City FC

24. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    That is a lot of visiting fans, but to make a guess on why so many let me just postulate that about 500+ of them may be pretty mellow and distracted yet oddly transfixed by the match? ;>)

25. Centennial

Centennial Member+

Apr 4, 2003
    Centennial
    Im going with Rapids 2-1 (lame European wannabe name) KC

Rapids are starting to warm up for a long season while KC are still gloating from last yr