Rapids/Supporters 2009 Season

Discussion in 'Colorado Supporters Clubs' started by teddy_montoya, Jan 3, 2009.

1. teddy_montoya

teddy_montoya RapidsThugLife

Nov 9, 2006
    Supporters Terrace
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey,

So obviously the season is a time away. But I would like to know what some of our more knowledgeable Rapids fans would like to see inside The Front Range/Section 100. So far the NCC has several ideas on the table, and one big one. But I would like to know for a section standpoint what would enhance ethier

A) the experience
    B) the visual sight from the camera and casual fan
    C) Boost Numbers

Now like I said I have ideas on the table, but would like to hear from you guys. So swing away!

2. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    77 days, 2 hours, 25 minutes to be exact.

(Sorry, just messing around with getting a coutdown clock on my blog) ;)

3. Boots Utd

Boots Utd Member

Jan 19, 2008
    Denver
    What I would like to see is a post-game bus that goes from the stadium to either Fado's or the British Bulldog. Has this ever been tried? It wouldn't have to be anything special - just a rented school bus or something. It would give people access to the Denver nightlife without having to worry about sobering up to make the drive downtown.

I know there is a public bus stop somewhere near the stadium, but it is really not convenient. The bars might even be willing to pitch in on the cost of renting a bus - what bar wouldn't want to see 50 thirsty new patrons coming their way after a soccer game? Or, people that ride the bus pay $5 or $10 to ride.

Just a thought, but it could help boost numbers....

4. teddy_montoya

Nov 9, 2006
    Supporters Terrace
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok, So for opening day I think we should go big or go home! And not in terms of tailgating. Cause IMO lets stop focusing on that, and move onto the atmosphere. Not boast about who has the better one, but actually create a got damn 12th man.

We are creating a banner the size of section 101. It will have the phrase "Gary Smiths Army!" And there will be an image in the center of it. I am going to need help. The Banner would be created on a Saturday most likely in the very beginning of Feb.

Anyone interested!?!

5. jayd8888

jayd8888 Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Denver CO
    I'll help you by standing under it on opening day! The best I can do up in Wyoming is promise to take any extra wind off of your hands the weekend you plan to build it.

6. 30Something

30Something Member

Jun 3, 2004
    5280 Feet
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Effort = A+
    Enthusiasm = A+
    Creativity = D-

Seriously, doesn't it make more sense have somthing a bit more lasting? Aside from the fact that you'd have to rebrand your section with a new "[INSERT COACH NAME] Army!" banner every few years, it just smacks of infringement on the USMNT's Sam's Army.

JMO, but it makes more sense to create a banner that says something like:

The Front Rangers
    Rapids Supporters United

7. morerapidsplease

Apr 8, 2008
    Denver
    I think GAry Smiths Army is a great idea.

It would really show the fans are aligned and supporting the Coach and team and we have turned a new corner.

As far as creativity it's no more or less then your suggestion.

8. teddy_montoya

Nov 9, 2006
    Supporters Terrace
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The issue isn't that we are re-branding ourselves to be like SA. IMO SA is pretty weak now a days compared to the AO.

You have to remember that not everyone inside section 100 are "Front Range"/NCC/CF members. They are just standing because thats what type of supporters they are. This banner isn't to brand the section. But to let the team and the coaching staff know that we are behind them 100%. Unlike previous years.

The creativity part comes into play when we place the image we are using in the center of the banner! Its going to take a full day to paint it if we have 5+ people. Less than that we are looking at a day or two project.

9. teddy_montoya

Nov 9, 2006
    Supporters Terrace
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Update:

Ok.

So I put in a proposal to the Stadium staff about a large flag or two in the section for this upcoming season. Should get feedback by the end of this week.

10. pdid10

pdid10 Member+

Aug 8, 2008
    Boulder
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids

I see that the Rapids marketing staff has released the promotions for the year
    http://www.coloradorapids.com/News/NewsDetails.aspx?NID=IYxu5hZQBnU=

There is an interesting promotion:

"Fellas, if you're looking for the ultimate night out with your buddies, join the Rapids for their 4 scheduled "Fado Lads Night Out" promotional nights this year, taking place on Opening Night, May 2, June 24 and Aug. 1! Meet your buddies at Fado Irish Pub in Lodo, partake in their traditional Irish fare, put down a pint or two, and then jump on the Rapids Party Bus for a free ride to and from Dick’s Sporting Goods Park! This great package features 2 tickets to the game, 2 beers at Fado, and the bus ride to and from the stadium, all for only $39! "

11. Boots Utd

Boots Utd Member

Jan 19, 2008
    Denver

Beautiful. Somebody is listening to me out there.. ;)

12. teddy_montoya

Nov 9, 2006
    Supporters Terrace
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Season is nearly close to the start, and there really hasn't been much open dialouge between all the "Front Range" groups.

So here is a question Im throwing at everyone again for this season...

I propose we as a collective body of supporters march in on opening day, as we did the final home game of the season last year. I thought it added a lot to the pre-game hype, and made it really fun. Also got some of the people in the concourse to join along.

I think this builds the fan base as a whole, and gets everyone excited about the game.

So how about it...

Everyone up for it?!

13. ringshot

ringshot New Member

Sep 14, 2005
    Broomfield, CO
    My drum and I are in... this year with more cowbell!!

G'Day...Ron :D

14. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The only issue I see is that the US-El Salvador WCQ starts 30 minutes before the Rapids game, so a lot of fans may want to get into the stadium before kickoff of the U.S. game, if the Rapids are showing it in the Cantina or something.

15. teddy_montoya

Nov 9, 2006
    Supporters Terrace
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why!?

Sure it is Country over club. But the US is playing El Salvador. Nothing to worry about Im sure. It is also opening day, I think a lot of fans should be caught up in the fan fare that surrounds the game if any!

16. IllBeats Hooligan

IllBeats Hooligan Commander and Chief

Feb 17, 2005
    Walnut Creek, CA
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We actually had something like this back in the day....called the RIVER RAFT...Since parking was never a problem at Invesco we just parked wherever we wished....then after the game the Bus would load up and head to Delanneys for the post game party with the players. All was well until the Event staff along the DPD and the RAPIDS squashed it. Good times tho...

17. IllBeats Hooligan

IllBeats Hooligan Commander and Chief

Feb 17, 2005
    Walnut Creek, CA
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But i suppose doing it again wouldnt be too difficult. Even if most of the original iLL BeAts FC crew have moved on. You just need approximately 20-25 people who like beer, futbol and singing, designate a pick up spot and time. Very simple...with tix cost, keg costs and bus travel....looking at around $30 each. Not bad for a sober ride to the game and from the game.

I would recommend the British Bulldog, the owners are cool peeps and the pub itself is easily accessbilble via light rail or RTD. Plus the parking lot in back is ideal for the bus to load up and the types of people that would ride, have more then likely already stumbled out of the Bulldog once or twice so they will know where its at.

Cheers,
    Brown

18. askum33

askum33 New Member

Jun 2, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    Except you forget to mention that the raft sometimes forgot to pick people up... :p ....

As Brown had alluded to in another post...

Get all of the rules in writing and follow them. Make sure you know any policies about kegs and personal transport.

Use public restrooms! Using the restroom in public does not count. (F'ing Invesco not having port a potties or having too little too far away.):D

On edit...
    How I miss this "Raft". It always was a good time and I hope someone can get another going.

19. United_FAN

United_FAN New Member

Mar 4, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I'm always up for a march into the stadium, when and where are you lot starting it?

20. teddy_montoya

Nov 9, 2006
    Supporters Terrace
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well since all of the affiliated Rapids SGs are tailgating in lot AA, I think the start point will be best suited there! We will do something similiar to what it was like for the SL game.

21. United_FAN

United_FAN New Member

Mar 4, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    cheers I'll see you at the tailgate.

22. teddy_montoya

Nov 9, 2006
    Supporters Terrace
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice, will do. Look for the NCC tent. We will have a full on keg, or two. And some good eats! Plus you can pre-order an NCC scarf!

See ya there mate,

-TM

23. GoRapids

GoRapids Member

Sep 1, 1999
    Boulder CO
    A heads up - it's not official yet - but the CVI/C-Firm tailgate may be moving locations.