News: Rapids sign Austrian defender Thomas Piermayr

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by JasonMa, Apr 2, 2014.

1. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

COMtnGuy repped this.
  2. tonhtubra

tonhtubra Member+

Jun 8, 2004
    Fort Collins, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Notice there is no mention about waiting for his ITC or anything and instead it just states he is eligible for this weekend's game. Maybe they finally figured out that they should wait to announce these things until AFTER all of the paperwork is done.

22SteveD, COMtnGuy and jayd8888 repped this.
  3. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.coloradorapids.com/video/2014/03/31/getting-know-trialist-thomas-piermayr

Brief video interview w/Piermayr from Monday. Perfect English and should have zero language barriers. Thomas confirms he is comfortable playing all across the backline and has been playing recently in the midfield. Versatility is his game apparently. It seems like Pablo is attracted to versatile players. Is this a theme? It could be good or bad, I suppose. Nonetheless, welcome aboard Thomas!

4. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did we just get name wrong on which "Jack of all Trades" we were going to sign or should we expect the other signing at any time now?

5. xingyiz

xingyiz Member

Mar 26, 2011
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    And shouldn't we probably change the comment about how he gives us depth to he gives us someone to start in defense this weekend that has played there before.

6. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    Or that they should sign players from a reputable FA. "Norwegian FA: Average 4.5 star Yelp rating!"

m vann, Dom. FC and JasonMa repped this.
  7. spot

spot Member+

Nov 29, 1999
    Centennial
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm alarmed that we are signing a person from the lands that don't play the beautiful game. What does this say about Rapids style?

8. 22SteveD

22SteveD Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2011
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rapid "beautiful" Style is only a verbal thing, we have never actually had any here whatsoever.

Dom. FC repped this.
  9. Soaker888

Soaker888 Member+

Feb 21, 2012
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Well, I think the last 3ish years of talk from the Rapids intent to play an "attractive" style of futbol has, at least initially, been to take a couple steps away from "ugly" futbol. That is to say thuggish, physical bucket-ball. They've moved in the right direction.

GoRapids repped this.
  10. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    #10 Dom. FC, Apr 3, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2014
    I see this signing more as another versatile 'universal' soccer player more heading toward a Dutch 'total football' or Pablo's stated intent to be a 'thinking man's ' (Euro?) style team. Instead of hoof-n-hope (yes we still do that) more interchange of players, small triangles, and some short-short-short-(etc.)-long (or final 'killer') - passes (Sanchez --> Torres = FTW). Also, we should have done whatever we needed to do to swap out Buddle for E.J. (not claiming I have a beard or anything) the money difference might not have been that bad with him wanting out of Seattle (I don't think D.C. has him as D.P.?) and the strike rate upgrade would be worth something. Buddle and Pickens should have been enough to get him ... Too late I know but he could have been a 'Casey' (when he was scoring and 'owning' the area) type player for us. Anticipating responses ... Bravo and Metgod should have been capable of helping 'manage' him in the locker room.

11. jayd8888

jayd8888 Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Denver CO
    Perpetuating that myth worked for CSL.

12. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sports Yak repped this.
  13. xingyiz

xingyiz Member

Mar 26, 2011
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Screw EJ he is an A-hole. Just watch some of the highlights when he doesn't get a ball directly on his feet. Guy goes bonkers.

14. Quinn 33

Quinn 33 Member+

Apr 25, 2003
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good signing. Helps shore up some of our depth deficiencies in the back.

15. BigBrasky

BigBrasky Member

Jan 28, 2013
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    I don't know, he's not very good. I think we would have been better off with a Sagna or Lahm or something. ;)

JasonMa repped this.
  16. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nonsense! Those guys are 30! ;) I can't recall Sagna or Lahm scoring a goal like this. Hell, I can't remember either of those two ever scoring a goal. :D

[youtube]

17. xingyiz

xingyiz Member

Mar 26, 2011
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    jayd8888 repped this.
  18. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    SccrDon and COMtnGuy repped this.
  19. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    I think that you still have to give me that when both are 'on form' (as if we even know what that is w/ Edson at this point) he is better than Buddle and the other name I can toss out, K. Cooper, is not really the hold-up guy that he looks like he should be and that Brown could work off of. Strikers to a degree need that attitude thingie and I did address that as Metgod and Bravo's man management issue to handle, re the other post get the damn ball to his feet (or head) and he'll quit whining and score with it.

20. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep, but that doesn't change the fact that I want neither one of them on the team for their current cots.

21. Quinn 33

Quinn 33 Member+

Apr 25, 2003
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sure Buddle actually has a pretty nice cot, considering it's probably a double-wide.

Dom. FC and JasonMa repped this.
  22. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    Repped but he does look leaner, but maybe not meaner this year?

23. Ihaveabeard

Ihaveabeard Member

Nov 14, 2013
    Club:
    Norwich City FC
    Think hes better served at cdm then outside back but just my opinion as i have watched this guy play.

24. GreatGonzo

GreatGonzo Member+

Jul 1, 1999
    MA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Clearly Pablo has been listening to Balboa's commentary throughout the years.

jayd8888, spot and JasonMa repped this.
  25. tonhtubra

tonhtubra Member+

Jun 8, 2004
    Fort Collins, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    COMtnGuy repped this.