Rapids Home Grown/ Youth updates

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by 22SteveD, Dec 14, 2011.

1. 22SteveD

22SteveD Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2011
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Same here, saves a separate trip out next morning. KC might be a good choice on 5/19 (Sat), we are both in the central division (reserve league wise).

Last year KC's supporter group came to reserve game too.

2. 22SteveD

22SteveD Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2011
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. FC Denver

FC Denver Member

Feb 6, 2007
    Denver
    Agreed! I can now admit to being shortsided in my overt frustration in regards to Gary Smith's departure. The Pids have made it work. It was a calculated risk, and it made correctly, and my guess is that it will likely pay dividends. In Oscar we trust!

4. 22SteveD

22SteveD Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2011
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rapids Youth academy team plays in Frontier Division
    http://www.topdrawersoccer.com/club...1/Frontier-Division-teams-rack-up-flyer-miles

"It is going well," Crookham told TopDrawerSoccer.com about the Rapids U18 season so far. "A bit disjointed because we still had a high school season this year."

Next year, all Academies are moving to a 10-month schedule thus eliminating high school soccer for Development Academy players. The Rapids got a jump-start on most clubs by training through high school with about 20 players from the Academy. The team played in a local adult league, where the coaches focused on technical development more than results.

Crookham said it was the first season that the Rapids attempted to assemble a large group during the high school season, in previous years it has only been a handful of players.

"Makes our transition for next year easier," said Crookham. "We are fortunate with our facility that we are outside five days a week too. The work is getting done right now. It has been a productive two months."

The Rapids are excited to get back to Academy play on March 17, but Crookham's side may have to deal with limited numbers, as MLS reserve games start that week.

"We will have a lot of players in reserve games," added Crookham. "Oscar Pareja, the new full team coach, is a big believer in player development. Four or five players will definitely see time in reserve games."

Crookham talked glowingly of the play of Dillon Serna, Shane O'Neill, and Andrew Epstein, who has occasionally played up on the U18s at goalkeeper.

"Shane O'Neill has been tremendous in dictating the play, and allowing us to be pretty bold going forward," said Crookham. "He is an anchor for our midfield."

5. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was looking at the USSF DA map:

http://academy.demosphere.com/

There are only 3 non-MLS-affiliated clubs west of the Mississippi outside of Texas and California, and Denver has two of them (Rush and Real). The 3rd is in Seattle. I wonder if that's going to end up being a challenge for the Rapids. Portland, Salt Lake, Vancouver, etc. aren't competing with other USSF DA clubs in their home market, while Colorado is competing with 2 of them.

6. WJMarx

WJMarx BigSoccer Supporter

May 5, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

You are kidding of course! Wilmer has been in the USA for many years, coaching in New York and then Bradenton. Yes, he maintains an accent, similar to Pareja's, but he is articulate and insightful in English as well as Spanish.

7. WJMarx

WJMarx BigSoccer Supporter

May 5, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yes, it has been and will continue to be a challenge. However, things will change abruptly with Pareja & Cabrera in charge. Whereas, Smith had only disdain for youth players and their development, Pareja treasures younger players and the thrill of their development. This new attitude will become widely appreciated.

Changes are needed! Whereas, I do not know Brian Crookham but he is a holdover from a regime that depreciated youth development, therefore, I would quickly replace him with a new face seen only as one of the "new" guys. Similarly, new coaches are needed. The "old" Rapids DA was a non entity; in order to change this perception fresh, new faces dedicated to youth development and of the highest technical and tactical skill are needed. Having done these things, offering great training facilities, closely associating with the 1st team, free everything, the best coaching, etc. will easily win the long term battle.

Moreover, the thrill of playing matches at DSG cannot be understated. Therefore, I would schedule Rapids DA matches alternately preceding and following 1st team matches. These matches must be appropriately touted. Also, selecting one or more Academy players of the week, showing their images on the scoreboard along with a written and verbal shout out during Rapids matches will be intoxicating to these young players. Indeed, lotsa things can be done to make the Rapids DA special in ways that neither Colorado Rush nor Real Colorado can contemplate!!!

The Rapids DA is at a cross roads of a new beginning.

8. 22SteveD

22SteveD Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2011
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like reserve games our on Tuesday now (they were mostly Sunday mornings last year). Nothing like that to make it easier to view them.

20-Mar Colorado Rapids FC Dallas 4:00 PM DSG Park Field 20

9. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's one starting 30 minutes after Saturday's game, which all ticket holders are invited to stay and watch.

10. 22SteveD

22SteveD Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2011
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any chance you have link or more info?

I take it they are not playing in DSG but that main field just East of stadium?

11. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From the weekly media release:

12. 22SteveD

22SteveD Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2011
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If I recall both Rush and Real are national (non-profit) organizations, so not sure why they are not listed in other states.

For instance- New Mexico club soccer is pretty much Rush too (New Mexico Rush) http://nmrush.com/

13. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Southern California Real and Texas Rush are on the map as well, so I'm guessing that only those two and the two Denver ones were accepted as part of the USSF program.

14. 22SteveD

22SteveD Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2011
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does anyone else think our line-up for first reserve game went against the "develop youth creed" we have heard/ expected.

Not sure how I feel about all the time they are giving to Dillon Serna since he committed to Akron and is years away from signing with Rapids.

Maybe I just need to give up on Emory, Armstrong & Janniere "making it" in MLS. Obvious we have great coaches and if they don't want to give them minutes, who am I to say otherwise. Although that does not answer why Yamada barely saw action.

15. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unless they have some idea that he might de-commit and sign a contract.

Janniere tweeted yesterday about having a rough year with injuries. I'm not sure if he was commenting on currently being injured or just in general, but that could explain his absence.

I do find Armstrong's lack of play concerning.

16. DavidJames

DavidJames Member+

May 11, 2003
    Longmont
    If it were me, I'd want the primary mission of reserve team to be giving quality time to players that will need to fill in for first team players when needed, i.e. develop depth for the first team.

17. BeTheRed

BeTheRed Member

May 16, 2006
    I agree. It's early in the season, and players such as Thompson, Palguta, Marshall, Nane, Amarikwa, Akpan, LaBeaux who may be called upon to play need to get their game legs. Plus as Pareja has said, need to find out whether Edu is worth signing. Maybe later in the summer these games can be used more for youth.

18. 22SteveD

22SteveD Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2011
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone else surprised at Yamada's lack of minutes over first 2 reserve games?

I know we have trialists in we need to look at but guess I really over-rated his impact (as a sub) to team this year.

19. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He was a 3rd round pick in the Supplemental Draft. I'm not sure what you were expecting. Not many players come that late in the draft and make an impact their first year.

20. jayd8888

jayd8888 Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Denver CO
    In the reserves I am a little bit, but I don't know the strategy from the top on the issue. I am way more surprised that we have a draft pick starting and producing for the senior squad. It's damn near shocking.

21. 30Something

30Something Member

Jun 3, 2004
    5280 Feet
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What you said.

The fact he even made the roster as a Supplemental draft choice is amazing. He's a small guy who missed the majority of preseason work. I don't know why anyone would think he'd be getting minutes, even in reserve games.

22. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This. Last time a draft pick started for us their rookie year I believe was Hunter Freeman in 2005.

Well as an international player he was guaranteed a contract as soon as he was picked in the draft (one of the concessions made by the league to get some of these guys to come over and try out). So I knew he'd make the roster. But I didn't expect anything other than reserve and USOC play from him this year, with maybe some spot duty as a sub for the first team if depth became an issue.

23. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dillon Serna and Downtown Las Vegas Rapids (Rapids Alliance club) player Antonio Murillo were called into next week's U.S. U-18 camp in California today.

24. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    James Rogers, who the Rapids may or may not be able to claim as a homegrown player (depending on which side of the Rockies you talk to) was just called into the U-20 squad.

25. Stuart95

Stuart95 Member+

Mar 11, 2012
    NoVA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From Soccer America today:

http://www.socceramerica.com/article/46389/rapids-extend-unbeaten-streak.html

Rapids extend unbeaten streak

[DEVELOPMENT ACADEMY SPOTLIGHT] The Colorado Rapids Academy team earned 1-1 ties against Minnesota Thunder Academy and Shattuck-Saint Mary’s Soccer Academy, but they were good enough to keep the Rapids as the only remaining undefeated squad out of 78 teams in the Development Academy's U-17/18 division with a 7-0-5 overall record.

Malian-born Idrissa Camara, who scored the only goal in their tie with the Thunder, leads the Rapids with six goals.

Perhaps the Rapids' top academy prospect is Dillon Serna, who spent the MLS preseason with the first team and has played in all three 2012 Reserve League games. The former U.S. U-17 has scored four goals. He is headed to Akron in the fall.