Rapids Home Grown/ Youth updates

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by 22SteveD, Dec 14, 2011.

1. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do we call them the LA Solar System?

2. jayd8888

jayd8888 Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Denver CO
    With the name Galaxy II I was thinking they need to bring in Samsung.

GoRapids and JasonMa repped this.
  3. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FYI

22SteveD and GoRapids repped this.
  4. 22SteveD

22SteveD Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2011
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    COMtnGuy and jayd8888 repped this.
  5. GreatGonzo

GreatGonzo Member+

Jul 1, 1999
    MA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    22SteveD repped this.
  6. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Goal.com article on MLS academy player production had a good chunk on PM's development "philosophy".

http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/1110...18/the-mls-wrap-where-are-the-rookies-in-2014

Not many MLS teams are giving young players key roles, and you can bet some of those teams will argue that there just isn't the quality young talent coming through the youth ranks to make that worthwhile.

At least one coach disagrees. Colorado Rapids coach Pablo Mastroeni stated at the beginning of the season that young players aren't given enough of a chance in MLS, and that one of his key goals is to make sure young talent is given the opportunity to succeed with the Rapids.

"I know it's easier for some teams to just go and sign some veterans or some foreign players, but we need to give young American players a chance to develop and get that valuable first-team experience," Mastroeni told Goal USA. "That's something I'm committed to and I think that not only is that good for my team, it's good for the league to have more young talent coming up, and getting the chance to develop."

Mastroeni has been a man of his word. The Rapids are the only team to give two different rookies multiple starts (John Berner and Jared Watts) and have given minutes to three different rookies (with 20-year-old Marlon Hairston).

Mastroeni remains in the minority when it comes to giving multiple young players minutes, and while you can't really blame coaches for choosing to go with veteran options, or continuing to hit the foreign player market as they find limited options being produced by their academies, MLS has to know that a league with plans to expand to 24 teams in the immediate future needs its teams to start producing more pro-ready talent.

22SteveD and Jimmydinho repped this.
  7. jayd8888

jayd8888 Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Denver CO
    I've been wondering PM's assessment of Van De Casteele. I thought he played well in the limited preseason matches I caught with him in preseason. I guess he's burried under depth.

8. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://uslpdl.com/home/805587.html

The Albuquerque Sol will be adding 5 Rapids Youth Players to their PDL squad this summer. All five just finished up their freshmen collegiate seasons and will report once their finals are completed.

The 5 are:

Chris Gurule - New Mexico
    Ricardo Perez - Creighton
    Bryan Windsor - Princeton
    Alex Bramman - St. Mary's
    Ben Bramman - St. Mary's

Via Brian Cookman:

~F8~, Stuart95, COMtnGuy and 3 others repped this.
  9. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ~F8~ repped this.
  10. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rapids put CB on U-18 team, he has been called in a few times already.

U.S. U-18 ROSTER FOR LISBON INTERNATIONAL TOURNAMENT

GOALKEEPERS (2): Jonathan Klinsmann (Irvine Strikers; Newport Beach, Calif.), JT Marcinkowski (San Jose Earthquakes; Alamo, Calif.)

DEFENDERS (5): Chase Gasper (Bethesda Olney; Alexandria, Va.), Malcolm Jones (LA Galaxy; Chino Hills, Calif.), Quentin Pearson (Colorado Rapids; Longmont, Colo.), Mauricio Pineda (Chicago Fire; Bolingbrook, Ill.), Tommy Redding (Orlando City; Oveido, Fla.)

MIDFIELDERS (7): Mukwelle Akale (Minnesota Thunder; Minneapolis, Minn.), Collin Fernandez (Chicago Fire; Downers Grove, Ill.), Brooks Lennon (RSL Arizona; Paradise Valley, Ariz.), Cameron Lindley (Chicago Fire; Carmel, Ind.), Maduabuchi Obinwa (Chicago Magic; Orlando, Fla.), Sebastian Saucedo (RSL Arizona; Casa Grande, Ariz.), Ben Swanson (Crew Academy; Grove City, Ohio)

FORWARDS (4): Coy Craft (FC Dallas; Frisco, Texas), Sebastian Elney (Boca United; Boca, Fla.), Rubio Rubin (FC Utrecht; Beaverton, Ore.), Dembakwi Yomba (Concorde Fire; Lithona, Ga.)

http://www.coloradorapids.com/news/...efender-quentin-pearson-selected-us-u-18-team

22SteveD repped this.
  11. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rapids U-18 Quentin Pearson started over Orlando City Pro Tommy Redding in 1-1 game vs Benfica U-19

http://www.soccerbyives.net/2014/06/usmnt-benfica-friendly.html

U.S. U-18MNT: 12-JT Marcinkowski (1-Jonathan Klinsmann, 66); 3-Malcolm Jones, 6-Mauricio Pineda, 15-Quentin Pearson (5-Tommy Redding, 45), 8-Chase Gasper; Maduabuchi Obinwa (7-Ben Swanson, 45), 13-Brooks Lennon (9-Coy Craft, 45), 14-Cameron Lindley (11-Collin Fernandez, 45), 2-Mukwelle Akale; 4-Dembakwi Yomba (20-Sebastian Saucedo, 45), 16-Rubio Rubin (capt.) (10-Sebastian Elney, 66)

22SteveD repped this.
  12. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    Is Pearson going to follow Shane's path to the Rapids?

13. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Might be too soon, he graduates in 2015. But sure hope their are trying. :)

http://www.topdrawersoccer.com/club-player-profile/quentin-pearson/pid-37688

“Quentin is a player we feel needs constant exposure at the highest levels of the game,” said Brian Crookham, the Rapids Senior Director of Youth Development. “This experience will prove very valuable as he continues his progress through our organization. His work rate and focus has again earned him this tremendous honor.”

http://www.coloradorapids.com/news/...efender-quentin-pearson-selected-us-u-18-team

22SteveD repped this.
  14. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    0-2 Loss to Portugal
    This go round the Pro starts and Quentin replaces for 2nd half, both goals scored in 2nd half.

U-18 USMNT: 12-JT Marcinkowski; 3-Malcolm Jones (10-Sebastian Elney, 77), 5-Tommy Redding (capt.)(15-Quentin Pearson, 45), 6-Mauricio Pineda, 8-Chase Gasper; 7-Ben Swanson, 14-Cameron Lindley (17-Maduabuchi Obinwa, 77), 20-Sebastian Saucedo, 4-Demakwi Yomba (13-Brooks Lennon, 59), 9-Coy Craft (2-Mukwelle Akale, 45) (11-Collin Fernandez, 63), 16-Rubio Rubin

Subs not used: 1-Jonathan Klinsmann

15. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

What, too soon? :D

22SteveD, fischerw, Jimmydinho and 2 others repped this.
  16. crazyjon85

crazyjon85 Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. 30Something

30Something Member

Jun 3, 2004
    5280 Feet
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it is a really good idea. Most NCAA programs play a semi-competitive schedule in the spring anyhow, so adding another 5-6 competitive games in the spring should not problematic except from a travel/cost perspective.

Also allowing programs to axe weekday games in the fall would be awesome. The weekday games (especially road games) are a pain in the ass for student athletes and attendance on weekday games tends to be light (i.e. negative impact to the limited revenue those programs get).

Finally, having weekend games and the NCAA championship in the spring would be good for the sport's visibility. Soccer isn't going to compete with football in the fall (not anytime in the foreseeable future anyhow)...but can likely compete with baseball.

18. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    COMtnGuy repped this.
  19. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kids got a good head on his shoulders then, though @Rod1916 may disagree. :D

20. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    I thought you'd like that part!

JasonMa repped this.
  21. Rod1916

Rod1916 Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    I read the article and started questioning his wisdom. Wondering if he is smart enough to make the team. Such poor decision making doesn't bode well for his future. :)

Seriously, it was a nice article and good to see continued Rapids coverage in the Post.

rod.

JasonMa repped this.
  22. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone know if the MLS HG "All-star" game tonight will be streamed (I don't think there is any TV coverage)?

Thanks!

23. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I remember seeing something about a stream but I don't know the details.

24. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    COMtnGuy repped this.
  25. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    Serna's not starting.

-----------------28lampson
    2palmerbrown-3miazga-4salcedo-5morgan